Barley water

annie

mummies, wanna check.. barley water should be white colour right? i boiled today for the first time then it became pink! i boiled for about 30mins.. anyone had same experience?

snowbear

mummies, wanna check.. barley water should be white colour right? i boiled today for the first time then it became pink! i boiled for about 30mins.. anyone had same experience?
pink? Never got this experience before. My mil says that if you want the drink to have the 'cooling' effect, cannot boil until the barley soften...

annie

really? do u make for alicia? my mum also say dun boil too long..hmm y my barley water pink...hmm...

annie

btw, how often can we give barley water to out babies n is it ok for us to put into sippy n give them to sip throughout the day? will it spoil? cos my girl doesnt drink alot per time...

Last edited:

yakii

btw, how often can we give barley water to out babies and is it ok for us to put into sippy and give them to sip throughout the day? will it spoil? cos my girl doesnt drink alot per time...
When my boy is under 1 yr old, we mix into the milk and give it to him...so tat he drink it...

annie

hmm my girl is breatfed..direct latch thus no bottle. she can drink it alone though

redjn

never come across barley "pink" colour, it should be milky colour. If u are boiling the china barley is light clear milky colour. if boiling the normal barley is should be blur milky colour.

I feed barley only once a wk. during early stage 3-6 mths, i diluted the barley water so that it will not be too strongly for bb. then as of 7 mths onwards I give (normal) barley water also once a week (working no time to boil so can only boil during weekend).

annie

dunno how often can they drink if i got time to boil? hee.

i bought the ang mo barley(洋薏米)and the china barley.. the auntie told me to mix n cook cos it taste better than just the china barley alone.. i cook with distilled water. wonder if that makes the pinkish colour?

snowbear

dont know how often can they drink if i got time to boil? hee.

i bought the ang mo barley(洋薏米)and the china barley.. the auntie told me to mix and cook cos it taste better than just the china barley alone.. i cook with distilled water. wonder if that makes the pinkish colour?
I think better not give so often. Cap it at once a week? My friend's 16-mth-old also drinks it only once a week coz i think her mil says otherwise too 'cooling'.

annie

ooh ok noted! i realise there are so many ways of cooking it! i read online.. some says boil for 20-30mins.. some say boil for 2-3hrs! then my mum say.. just throw inside water n once water boil liao switch off the gas! then leave the barley inside till the water cool down then throw the barley away n serve the water...

snowbear

ooh ok noted! i realise there are so many ways of cooking it! i read online.. some says boil for 20-30mins.. some say boil for 2-3hrs! then my mum say.. just throw inside water and once water boil switch off the gas! then leave the barley inside till the water cool down then throw the barley away and serve the water...
I also do it your mum's method... like that not much taste of barley but it's supposed to be the most 'cooling'. Boil for long duration nice taste but no 'cooling' effect. Depends on your agenda :)

annie

oh so my mum is right hehe. ok then i shall do that for my girl next time. the leave some n boil longer for myself for the taste lol

redjn

barley maybe good but children cannot drink everyday may be too "liang" 凉 for them. so far my practice is most 3 times a week but if they are too young better bring down to 2 times a week.

annie

ok thanks! btw, how to store the leftovers? must finish in a day? if give my girl in her sippy n let her sip throughout the day can ma? will spoil in rm temp for 12hrs or not?

redjn

my advice after boil, if leave in Rm temp not more than 8 hrs is still ok. If still hv some leftover just keep in the fridge for adult consumption only dont give kids as it may cause wind to their stomach. My personal practice, I only give my boy fresh brew barley within the 8 hrs after boil, strictly no overnight for him. Just to prevent bacteria.

annie

so leaving in rm temp for 8hrs so far ok for your son? no diahrrea or watsoever? that time i gave my girl cold barley drink but then she didnt finish so i dunno wanna keep back into fridge or leave in rm temp. scared spoil..next time shall give her warm one..

redjn

ya ok for him so no diahrrea or watsoever? If u prefer, u can flask it to keep it warm at all time so when u pour out for your kid to drink it will still be in the warm stage. Barley should be in Rm temp at all time within the same day is ok.
What I meant earlier is when end of the day if we still have a lot of balance, both myself & hubby will drink it if still cant finish, we will then bottle it into the fridge for our own consumption only. FYI, I dont practice giving my boy any "cold" (as in fridge) drink.

annie

oh i see.. i sometimes give my girl cold water from fridge so i dun mind giving her cold barley drink also. i just worry if she cant finish then i put back in the fridge dunno will spoil or not. cos i usually pour a cup into her sippy.. she only takes a few sips here n there.. maybe i shall give her rm temp barley drink next time n let her sip throughout the day then. thanks redjn!

redjn

if that's case, my advice not to put it back into fridge, is better to dispose it away then putting back into fridge.