Ben 10, Transformers, scary shows... you allow yr boys to watch?

maMaSan

Do you? It's so hard to keep him away from all the peer influence... it's what all the boys are talking about these days. But mine has a natural affinity towards the more aggressive side, so I try really hard to avoid all that, and stop him from playing guns/swords all that.

But it's pretty futile. Will still make with toilet paper rolls, rulers, clothes pegs etc...:tno:

Friend

I do not let my kids watch all these shows, of course peer's influence and also they will feel inferior if their friends talk abt the shows.

I will let them read those books instead.

normally, my kids will choose to watch those educational shows instead of this. They are given 1 hr a day on TV.

briskcross

I allow my sons to watch. Actually hubby and I enjoy these cartoons like Ben 10, Batman, Star Wars, etc, so when elder son was younger, like 2 or 3, we would watch together with him and chit chat to him about it. It's bonding too, the fact that we share his interests, and by watching together and showing that we understand the characters/stories it gives us the opportunity to influence his views on the cartoons. Like when we see something too violent we comment about it being so, and we explain why people in real life cannot fight like in the cartoons.

yeah... i watch ben10 with my boy too..... it's the IN thing now....

if ur kids not allowed to watch, they can't click with their peers when they talk about it

briskcross

Yep, I realise the kids in my son's school who don't know about superheroes kind of get left out.

It's not that a kid has to know about superheroes to "belong" to a group of friends, it's more like it's important to be aware of what's "in" around then learn to discern. Among my sons' friends also, eg, a kid can know about Ben 10 but say he doesn't like, but another kid who doesn't even watch Ben 10 gets ignored.

I think when we were kids, some of the shows we watched can be rather violent too mah...

ultraman, he-man, transformers...maybe not so much blood but alot of explosions or fighting

and we got those plastic swords to play with (yeah me being a gal)...rubber snakes too.

I think its how we cope with our imagination as kids and my parents weren't much bothered...i dont think im very "violent" now heh heh..part of growing up i guess

autumn82

My gal, turning 4yr old this yr, watches Ben10, Teen titans, etc daily.. And she loves it.. I wonder y... LOL.

serenelm

both my ds watches cartoons such as ben 10, transformers, power rangers etc... sometimes they can even tell me names of some cartoons tat i've nvr even seen b4...

It's not that a kid has to know about superheroes to "belong" to a group of friends, it's more like it's important to be aware of what's "in" around then learn to discern. Among my sons' friends also, eg, a kid can know about Ben 10 but say he doesn't like, but another kid who doesn't even watch Ben 10 gets ignored.

i agree. anyway, i think it's important that children get to do what they truly enjoy. reading books & all are important of course, but once in awhile for them to watch cartoons is great - gives them a more balanced experience. plus, they enjoy themselves & are happier - important for sense of well-being.

my boy isn't old enough to watch TV yet ... but his mommy been watching cartoon network since even before he was born! :tlaugh: