Beware of poor practices by Gynae and Hospital

cecilathome

I had just gave birth a few months ago and had suffered much during and after delivery. Hope my experiences (see here) serve as a lesson to all the future mummies here. Do Choose your Gynae and Delivery Hospital very carefully!!

Last edited:

cecilathome

Thanks Raeka and Ellyeun for your well wishes.

I only get to feedback a few sentences stating my dissatisfaction in the feedback form during discharge due to time constraint. As I am now still bedridden, I have no energy nor opportunity to further feedback to the hospital up till this moment. I hope I could do so once I had fully recovered.

My friends advises me not to be too explicit in mentioning names as to avoid any 'future trouble' as I am currently already having big problem of my own already. However, if any mummies here wanna more info, you may pm me.

I hope nobody goes through the same thing as what I had went through. Too much unnecessary time, energy and money spent liao :(

sunburst

Gosh I can feel your anger & anguish! Hope bb & u are doing well now.

Just some of my thoughts in regards to ur experience...
1. When u went in for false alarm, the bill was due to use of delivery ward & room charges. You can request for a senior nurse to do the cervical examination.
2. When u went to be induced, ur Gynae should have provided a letter for u to pass to the delivery ward.
3. Even though u may have a birth plan discussed, ur Gynae may have forgotten or needed to make a quick medical decision, hence use of vaccumm.
4. If given epidural during labour, u won't be allowed to eat immediately... They must make sure that ur bowel systems are working fine 1st.
5. My guess on the stitches is that ur Gynae did not do a good sewing job.

cecilathome

Hi Sunburst, please see my reply in red below :

Gosh I can feel your anger & anguish! Hope baby & you are doing well now.

Just some of my thoughts in regards to your experience...
1. When you went in for false alarm, the bill was due to use of delivery ward & room charges. You can request for a senior nurse to do the cervical examination.

Yeah that was included. But I was told the bill will definitely be less than $100 when the hotline nurse kept urging me to come in and in the end the bill of more than 8x the said amount is too far beyond my expectation.

Furthermore I wanted to discharge early but the delay was due to the gynae's late arrival. I also never requested to be admitted into postnatal ward.

I had even asked the nurses there how much the charges going to be when they transferred me to postnatal ward, as I was scared that they might charged me extra for the postnatal ward. Their reply was they don't know and all depends on my Gynae's instruction.

2. When you went to be induced, your Gynae should have provided a letter for you to pass to the delivery ward.

My Gynae only instructed me to pass my Birth Plan (which I had written a month earlier and vetted by the gynae) to the nurse. I never thought that I need to ask for letter on Gynae's instruction. I will take note of this in future.

3. Even though you may have a birth plan discussed, your Gynae may have forgotten or needed to make a quick medical decision, hence use of vaccumm.

The last time I went through my birth plan with my gynae was the day before the actual delivery, the day when I was induced. So I assume my gynae was aware of our request.

However, my gynae didn't inform us also of the vacuum after the birth. Everything happened so fast during the delivery and she was gone as soon as she was done with her cleaning. So no chance to ask her then.

Apart from what my hubby had seen with his eyes, we also saw a deep long scratch
/ cut with blood on baby's head. I was told by other doctors (when I seek second opinion) that the scratch might be due to the vacuum apparatus. Only then we are dead sure vacuum had been used.

4. If given epidural during labour, you won't be allowed to eat immediately... They must make sure that your bowel systems are working fine 1st.

The nurses at postnatal ward only told me that they dunno I am coming in, so never prepared my share. But you might have a point there.

5. My guess on the stitches is that your Gynae did not do a good sewing job.

Prior to the scheduled 1 week postnatal visit to gynae, my stitches were so painful that I can feel the big knot pinching into my flesh when walking and sitting, even with the rubber tyre. After the visit, the knot was not there anymore. I do not know whether the sewing was ok, but I was sure the thread knot was too big for me to bear.

Last edited:

Juz17

Sigh i really hope all hospital service will improve n the gynaes shld perform professionalism in their work...:(
Take care cecilia...

angelwendy

Oh dear... u must be in PAIN.. For me i will be the same.. very upset & damm angry... i think better write a complain letter to the head of the hospital.. see what they say...

cecilathome

Thanks so much for all your concerns...make me feel better even with pain down below :)

PS. to those wanna pm me, I have been receiving much pms and I'm afraid the pm limit might burst anytime. Just in case I cannot be reach via pm, you may email me or leave comment at my blog. I'll try to reply asap. Thanks

tohsl

Hi Cecil,

Sorry for what you have gone though.

I think all the expecting mommies will benefit if you could post the hospital and the name of the OB on this forum or at least the hospital. IMHO, you might want to consider to file complaint with MOH and the hospital. Bad doctors and nurses should not allows to practice and cause more harms.

Take good care!

cecilathome

Hi Tohsl,

I dunno if it is advisable for me to say it here as my friends said scare later I get into trouble, seeing that I am now already so cham, can't even get off my bed, better dun invite more problem and anguish.

But once I am fully recovered and got my energy back, I will try communicating to the relevent party.

Thanks for your concern :)

cecilathome

Got someone told me her hospital nurse got clean her below and change pads everyday when she was hooked to urinary bag.

Mine didn't do the cleaning. The nurse only change my pad after 2 days due to pad overflow upon my request.

Wonder is it a common practice for nurse to do cleaning below and change pad everyday for us?

rainbow123

Got someone told me her hospital nurse got clean her below and change pads everyday when she was hooked to urinary bag.

Mine didn't do the cleaning. The nurse only change my pad after 2 days due to pad overflow upon my request.

Wonder is it a common practice for nurse to do cleaning below and change pad everyday for us?
I stay in Thomson Medicial during my delivery . They change my pad and clean with some blue solution when i was hook to the bag . I never request , they come themselve.
Because i was too weak to get down from the bed after they remove the bag, the nurse also help me to change too ( this one i requested ).

apollo

i delivered via c-sect, and during day 1 and day 2 morning (b4 i can come down to walk), they sent nurse to come and clean me up, change my pad and even clean my private area for me. but from day 2 afternoon onwards, no more, cos i can come down and go toilet to change and clean myself. and yes, they hook the urine bag at my bed (below) and the drip on on top of the bed.

do u mind to PM or email me the hospital n gynae? thks =)

sunburst

Wow really sounds like your Gynae skills & professionalism is horrendous!
How is bb head now? Hope the scratch has healed up well!
If ur wound still hurts, I would suggest to consult another Gynae. Just to make sure it is healing well & the wound is clean.

I had natural delivery at TMC... When after half a day I did not go pee, coz I scared stitches pain. There was a very nice & helpful nurse who helped me out of bed & brought me to the toliet. She even helped with cleaning of my wound.

Gem2505

sad to hear there's such unprofessional doctors and nurses around in singapore whereby they always boost about how great singapore's medical industry.. how important services are to the customers. its reli a disgrace~!

note down those nurses,doctors involved. report to MOH. if there's only 1 bad staff, we count ourselves unlucky. but its a POOL of them! OMG! should not let these people lay their hands on other mummy-to-be~~~!

hope you are feeling well now.

cecilathome

Apollo, pm u liao.

So far I had received mixed reviews from other mommies on the Hospital but have not yet received any positive comments on the Gynae.

Maybe just my luck to be at that Hospital at the wrong time bah ;(

cecilathome

Another question to mommies whose water bag had been purposely broken by their gynae. Do you feel anything during the bag breaking process?

For me, the gynae's hand went into my cervix to pull and grab the bag a few times before the cut by the hook was successful. Could feel her hand movements and a little bit of body jerking during each pull. I can also feel the movement when she is cutting with hook. But the whole process is very fast. All happen within seconds.

Is this normally the case? Or did my gynae pull too hard? Pls advise.....

Last edited:

jhing

Another question to mommies whose water bag had been purposely broken by their gynae. Do you feel anything during the bag breaking process?

For me, the gynae's hand went into my cervix to pull and grab the bag a few times before the cut by the hook was successful. Could feel her hand movements and a little bit of body jerking during each pull. I can also feel the movement when she is cutting with hook. But the whole process is very fast. All happen within seconds.

Is this normally the case? Or did my gynae pull too hard? Pls advise.....
Hi, can you pm me the gynae and hospital also? Just want to confirm if it's the 1st gynae that I consulted before I changed. My gynae broke the water bag when I was 5cm dilated, the only thing I remember was that there was a slight thug and then a warm liquid flowed down there. As I have read that a hook will be used when breaking water bags, I was actually wondering at that time whether my gynae just pinched it and it broke already haha. That was how it felt, the only pain I felt was the contractions :)

Also during my stay in the hospital, nurses come to my room often to check on me and change the pads when they are full. I was able to use more than 1 pack of maternity pads so I think pads were changed at least 2 times specially on the 1st day. I have also been put on a catheter when I cannot pee when I tried and only went to the toilet on the 2nd evening (I gave birth early morning).