BF babies are smaller & lighter

diza

Maybe ur baby is active. 7.5kg at 8 mths is normal right? Did doctor said anything? My boy was 7.87kg at 6 mths before I started to supplement him with cereal and purée. But he's a milk monster. Lol

lyra

Re: BF babies are smaller & lighter

I think my baby was around that weight too. We went for check up at polyclinic and he's always at the 50th percentile. He's also drinking lots of milk and very active and energetic, but he doesn't like solid food at that time. The grandparents like to worry that he seems to look smaller than other same age babies but I'm not worried coz we shouldn't compare. Its not just about whether baby is breastfed or formula fed... the genes also come into play. He's thinner and taller, perhaps takes after his dad :)

diza

Like what lyra said is true. Genes play a part too. Some babies on FM are even heavier so it's not abt the milk.. As long as doc never say underweight, then nothing to worry.

missyqiqi

mommy don't worry, i also bf my gal till about 7-8months. She's the smallest among my nov 2011 group of mommies, but she's a big eater among all. Doctors and everyone who saw her will always say she so small upon knowing her age. I think genes plays a part. My mom told me I'm also very small size when I'm young, but now i'm standing 1.72m!! So don't worry too much. as long as they are eating well then is ok. :)

Qookie

I know some BF babies that are big.

I agree, genes play an important part. My 10 month old is soooo tall (75-90percentile) and PD says she takes after her daddy.

It's not the kilos that matters most but important they are healthy.
My son always on 95th percentile while my girl on the 25th. It worries me a lot at first but my girl is healthy so I stop worrying.
Only after she started on solid and after her first birthday she managed to be on 50th percentile

alleria06

my breastfed 3 month old is 7.5kg and 97th percentile... so i would disagree :)
oh wow... I'm not worried about mine then.. My boy was putting on 1.5kg every month for 1st and 2nd month, and I got worried, doc said a little too much too.. now he is coming 3mo and weigh 6.6kg.

how to interpret the percentile btw? the higher number means the more common?

mommom

My girl is always at the 25th percentile. Everyone always commented that she is small for her age. She's going to be 1 yr old in 2 weeks n weigh only 8.7kg. I feed 3 solid meals a day plus 4 to 5 breastfeeds. I'm very worried but pd said that it's ok as long as she's happy n active. She also mentioned that genes play a part too. But I can't help worrying cos compared to other babies her age, she is significantly smaller...

JuzAngel

Don't worry too much. As long as your BB is healthy and growing you are fine. Boy tends to grow slower than girls too. BB length & height are check during regular examination, ask the nurse or Doctor if he's in the appropriate range :)