Birth Control after Delivery~

XenXuan

Hi all, i wanna ask about birth control methods to be done at hospital.. i've heard there r temporary types n permemant type.. i've asked my gynae abt the permemant type which will be done after we gave birth,by clipping the tube or something.. we dun plan to have any more kids but i'm afraid this thought might change after some years..dun wish to take pills or condoms all that to prevent..

so i wondering abt the temporary types birth control methods,heard its putting something inside to prevent pregnancy,how long will it last?how long do i need to remove/replace it?what r the procedures?how abt the charges?any1 done it b4?I'm currently a KKH subsidized patient..

ty for replying in advance~~ :001_302:

anabella

Hi. Currently I'm using implanon. It's a rod placed under the skin of my left arm. Can last for 3 years. I opted for this coz I don't wanna use IUD. I didnt want anything inserted down there. Hehe. So far so good. Best is I don't get menses at all. No more cramps. No more pads. No more stains!

anabella

I think u better don't do anything parmenant. Coz u won't know what u wanna do in future. I got twins. And I don't feel like having any more kids as it's so expensive. But at the same time, I'm still just in my mid twenties. So who knows what the future holds right.

jaybaobei

Hi. Currently I'm using implanon. It's a rod placed under the skin of my left arm. Can last for 3 years. I opted for this coz I don't wanna use IUD. I didnt want anything inserted down there. Hehe. So far so good. Best is I don't get menses at all. No more cramps. No more pads. No more stains!
Hi, is it by using implanon means no need to use condom? really no menses?

Tiggee

How much is the procedure?

Triquetra

I would like to find out too...
Am considering long term (but not perm) contraception after delivery. I have a daughter and now expecting a son, don't think I can afford the energy and time for another but again don't know what will happen in the future...

Abortion is a sure nono for me so I rather be responsible and have some form of contraception.

Triquetra

Implanon seems to have some side effects and removal is harder than insertion.
Anyone tried Mirena, care to share?

shiyi

wow no menses! care to share more?

Triquetra

The most common side effects reported during studies of Implanon included:
  • Weight gain
  • Acne
  • Menstrual disturbances
  • Clinical depression
  • Mood swings
  • Headaches
In addition to the side effects listed above, common side effects reported in clinical trials included:

• Breast tenderness
  • Abdominal or period pain
  • Viral infections (i.e. sore throat, cold)
  • Vaginitis
  • Anxiety
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Back pain
  • Change in libido
  • Pain at site of injection
  • Pain
Can anyone advise on the above mentioned side effects of using Implanon?

XenXuan

Wow,i only heard b4 there is contraception method by inserting something into ur cervic area,pills n stickers.. nv knew there is such arm implant.. no menses sounds real good but looking at the side effects,i feel its abit risky.. is there any other method? any1 tried the cervic/womb implant method? i duno whats its called in exact name.. erm,what is IUD/IUCD?

my condition is rather similiar,having 2nd baby coming soon,in my mid 20s but dun wish for any more kids at the moment.. wanted to opt for perm solution but was urged by families n friends to think of temporary methods..

Last edited:

Triquetra

So far I have read about Mirena, Implanon and ParaGard (Copper IUD). I am sure there are more out there, each has its own pros and cons.

XenXuan

I'm trying to find on web for more information on Implanon n IUD/IUCD.. seems so scary haha.. seems like need some serious consideration b4 making any decisions.. i wonder if they can be done immed after my delivery or need to be waited till i'm completely recovered..

anabella

Hey everyone. I'm a nurse working at the hospital. And all my colleagues tt just gave birth is on this implant. So far everyone got different side effect. Two of us totally no menses. Another one had prolonged bleeding and removed hers. My colleague gain weight. Dunno whether it's from the implant or just tt she never loss weight post delivery or second baby. And so far I'm ok. Been on it 3 weeks after I deliver in early feb.

I'm a private patient under sgh. So it cost me 55 consultation, 200 plus for the implant itself and around 100 to get it inserted by the dr itself.

When I insert it, the dr said it was a good choice to go under this implant. He also added that I just have to bare with the first three months of irregular spotting/bleeding. And if I get thru tt, I'll be ok.

Another good option is the copper IUD. But I don't want to insert anything down there. And some spouse even say they can feel the 'thing' inside. Then I hear story of it dropping out. I dunno real or not lah. But I don't wanna take any chances of getting pregnant.

The procedure is very fast. The dr will inject local anesthetic to numb the area. This stinks a bit. Once numb, dr will insert the rod using an applicator. The concept is like inserting tampon with an applicator. The area will be pain for few days. And it will be very bruised. But no problem carrying my babies or anything. After tt no need follow up with dr already.

With no menses, I ask my dr how will I know if I'm pregnant. He say I will gain lots of weight. So that gave me a piece of mind.

anabella

I'm trying to find on web for more information on Implanon n IUD/IUCD.. seems so scary haha.. seems like need some serious consideration b4 making any decisions.. i wonder if they can be done immed after my delivery or need to be waited till i'm completely recovered..
I got it inserted on the first appt with dr after deliver.

anabella

How big is the rod and how long have you been on it?
So far no weigh gain?
I am also afraid of my active daughter rubbing against the wound or device...
At first it's sore. But after a few days it's ok. It's probably the length of ur little finger. And the thickness of a toothpick. I've been on it since late feb this year. I was 42kg before pregnant. 65kg at full term. And now I'm 44 kg, 4 months after deliving twins.

XenXuan

Hey everyone. I'm a nurse working at the hospital. And all my colleagues that just gave birth is on this implant. So far everyone got different side effect. Two of us totally no menses. Another one had prolonged bleeding and removed hers. My colleague gain weight. dont know whether it's from the implant or just that she never loss weight post delivery or second baby. And so far I'm ok. Been on it 3 weeks after I deliver in early feb.

I'm a private patient under singapore general hospital. So it cost me 55 consultation, 200 plus for the implant itself and around 100 to get it inserted by the dr itself.

When I insert it, the dr said it was a good choice to go under this implant. He also added that I just have to bare with the first three months of irregular spotting/bleeding. And if I get thru that, I'll be ok.

Another good option is the copper IUD. But I dont't want to insert anything down there. And some spouse even say they can feel the 'thing' inside. Then I hear story of it dropping out. I dont know real or not . But I dont't wanna take any chances of getting pregnant.

The procedure is very fast. The dr will inject local anesthetic to numb the area. This stinks a bit. Once numb, dr will insert the rod using an applicator. The concept is like inserting tampon with an applicator. The area will be pain for few days. And it will be very bruised. But no problem carrying my babies or anything. After that no need follow up with dr already.

With no menses, I ask my dr how will I know if I'm pregnant. He say I will gain lots of weight. So that gave me a piece of mind.
Hi anabella,Ty for the reply.. This implant u r talking about is on the arm rite?implanon rite? Will it get misplaced or shifted somewhere else in the arm? Cuz I like to get body massage now n then,so afraid it will get misplaced when massaging..

Copper IUD,I'm considering this too,as heard IUD can last longer time,5-10yrs depending on the type of IUD rite? I will ask my doctor on my EDD visit.. Im with KKH subsidized patient,follow-up appointment should be at polyclinic,do they have these IUD/Implanon services at polyclinic??
Gosh,all these sounds more scary than delivering baby haha..

shiyi

Hey everyone. I'm a nurse working at the hospital. And all my colleagues that just gave birth is on this implant. So far everyone got different side effect. Two of us totally no menses. Another one had prolonged bleeding and removed hers. My colleague gain weight. dont know whether it's from the implant or just that she never loss weight post delivery or second baby. And so far I'm ok. Been on it 3 weeks after I deliver in early feb.

I'm a private patient under singapore general hospital. So it cost me 55 consultation, 200 plus for the implant itself and around 100 to get it inserted by the dr itself.

When I insert it, the dr said it was a good choice to go under this implant. He also added that I just have to bare with the first three months of irregular spotting/bleeding. And if I get thru that, I'll be ok.

Another good option is the copper IUD. But I dont't want to insert anything down there. And some spouse even say they can feel the 'thing' inside. Then I hear story of it dropping out. I dont know real or not . But I dont't wanna take any chances of getting pregnant.

The procedure is very fast. The dr will inject local anesthetic to numb the area. This stinks a bit. Once numb, dr will insert the rod using an applicator. The concept is like inserting tampon with an applicator. The area will be pain for few days. And it will be very bruised. But no problem carrying my babies or anything. After that no need follow up with dr already.

:elvis::elvis:will gain weight? :(:embarrassed: