Birth Control after Delivery~

Carlisle

Hi. Currently I'm using implanon. It's a rod placed under the skin of my left arm. Can last for 3 years. I opted for this coz I don't wanna use IUD. I didnt want anything inserted down there. Hehe. So far so good. Best is I don't get menses at all. No more cramps. No more pads. No more stains!
Aren't you afraid of that? I mean no menses for months or years now? Menses are blood that must be taken away from your body 'cause they're not helping with our body's circulation anymore (sorry for this description though but I guess this is right? pls correct me if I'm wrong). I know for sure that woman should have their monthly menstruation except only if they've reached their menopausal period. :O

anabella

Hi anabella,Ty for the reply.. This implant u r talking about is on the arm rite?implanon rite? Will it get misplaced or shifted somewhere else in the arm? Cuz I like to get body massage now n then,so afraid it will get misplaced when massaging..

Copper IUD,I'm considering this too,as heard IUD can last longer time,5-10yrs depending on the type of IUD rite? I will ask my doctor on my EDD visit.. Im with KKH subsidized patient,follow-up appointment should be at polyclinic,do they have these IUD/Implanon services at polyclinic??
Gosh,all these sounds more scary than delivering baby haha..
Yah I think copp IUD last longer. I dunno if can shift anywhr. I had a couple of massage while on it. So far it's ok. No problem. I think polyclinic got IUD. Dunno abt implanon. Becoz IUD can be inserted by nurse. But implanon only by dr. U shud ask the dr about brouchers on all this. They shud have it. U shud ask him all the pros and cons. And ask him what he suggest is best for u.

anabella

Aren't you afraid of that? I mean no menses for months or years now? Menses are blood that must be taken away from your body 'cause they're not helping with our body's circulation anymore (sorry for this description though but I guess this is right? pls correct me if I'm wrong). I know for sure that woman should have their monthly menstruation except only if they've reached their menopausal period. :O
I'm not afraid becoz it's the hormones tt coz me not to have menses. It's not tt blood is just accumulating inside and can't come out. It's not an issue to me. Becoz once u take it out..u will get normal menses.

XenXuan

Yah I think copp IUD last longer. I dunno if can shift anywhr. I had a couple of massage while on it. So far it's ok. No problem. I think polyclinic got IUD. Dunno abt implanon. Becoz IUD can be inserted by nurse. But implanon only by dr. U shud ask the dr about brouchers on all this. They shud have it. U shud ask him all the pros and cons. And ask him what he suggest is best for u.
ya,intending to ask my doctor about IUD on my EDD visit..heard there r few diff types of IUD too,copper n dunno what de haha.. i will definitly feel safer if its done by doctor haha.. most likely i will take up IUD unless recommended by doctor otherwise.. issit true after insertion for both method,we will need to do check ups for it every 1/2 - 1yr time?

I'm wondering if i can pay for this with medisave? shouldn't be too expensive rite? Implanon abt $450, IUD should be lesser rite?

Last edited:

anabella

ya,intending to ask my doctor about IUD on my EDD visit..heard there r few diff types of IUD too,copper n dunno what de haha.. i will definitly feel safer if its done by doctor haha.. most likely i will take up IUD unless recommended by doctor otherwise.. issit true after insertion for both method,we will need to do check ups for it every 1/2 - 1yr time?

I'm wondering if i can pay for this with medisave? shouldn't be too expensive rite? Implanon abt $450, IUD should be lesser rite?
I dunno le. I paid cash. So far I no need anymore check up.

XenXuan

I dunno le. I paid cash. So far I no need anymore check up.
Hmm,juz thinking if can pay by medisave can keep more cash on hand.. Haha good good dun need anymore check up,I v scared of going hospital/see doctor de,esp regarding such sensitive issues,haha..Ty so much for the information ^^

anabella

Hmm,juz thinking if can pay by medisave can keep more cash on hand.. Haha good good dun need anymore check up,I v scared of going hospital/see doctor de,esp regarding such sensitive issues,haha..Ty so much for the information ^^
If u try the IUD. U share with me k. In case I need to change. When is ur next appt with the dr?

XenXuan

If u try the IUD. U share with me k. In case I need to change. When is ur next appt with the dr?
My EDD is 11 June,this sat..Haha I missed my previous appointment cuz was too tired,gonna call for another appointment this Monday.. hopefully can go induction labor by this weekend.. Dun think can insert IUD directly after delivery rite? Sure,I will enquiry from doctor for it then let u know.. I use my iPhone to surf forum,so even if after delivery still can reply haha..

anabella

My EDD is 11 June,this sat..Haha I missed my previous appointment cuz was too tired,gonna call for another appointment this Monday.. hopefully can go induction labor by this weekend.. Dun think can insert IUD directly after delivery rite? Sure,I will enquiry from doctor for it then let u know.. I use my iPhone to surf forum,so even if after delivery still can reply haha..
I hope to hear from u soon!

Triquetra

My copper iud was inserted during my 6weeks postnatal checkup :)
Can you feel the device? Is it uncomfortable? Or can your hubby feel the device? =X
I think copper iud is the only non hormonal contraception yah? So no weight gain or moodiness etc?

XenXuan

Can you feel the device? Is it uncomfortable? Or can your hubby feel the device? =X
I think copper iud is the only non hormonal contraception yah? So no weight gain or moodiness etc?
tats something i wanted to ask too haha.. heard it will sometimes shifted away n cause pregnancy,issit true? i'm goin my doctor's appt on coming thurs,so can only wait my questions n doubts till then..

Triquetra

tats something i wanted to ask too haha.. heard it will sometimes shifted away n cause pregnancy,issit true? i'm goin my doctor's appt on coming thurs,so can only wait my questions n doubts till then..
The effectiveness is 99% excluding people whose device dropped out or something.
How likely is that to happen? Will it affect sports etc?

Priya Diva

Hi

According to my gynea, there are 2 types of IUD recommended. One is the copper one and the other is a plastic one brand name is Mirena. The Mirena cost abt $500 and inserted my gynea after menses starts...It will stop after the 1st few wks of delivery and will stop for some time when u BF until some time later it will start right then u put.]. Gynea said if breast feeding implanon not so safe. Advise is to put IUD. I am also planning to put IUD and waiting for menses to come as i am currently BF...

Triquetra

Hi

According to my gynea, there are 2 types of IUD recommended. One is the copper one and the other is a plastic one brand name is Mirena. The Mirena cost abt $500 and inserted my gynea after menses starts...It will stop after the 1st few wks of delivery and will stop for some time when u BF until some time later it will start right then u put.]. Gynea said if breast feeding implanon not so safe. Advise is to put IUD. I am also planning to put IUD and waiting for menses to come as i am currently BF...
Mirena is hormonal but its effects are direct instead of at the entire body.
Some mummies have said that their husbands are able to feel the strings of the device :S

kams

I can't feel e iud but my hubby sez he can feel the string poking him when ML in certain position hehe!

Yep, copper iud is non-hormonal, so it is safe for breastfeeding, no weight gain, no moodiness, etc. But menses will be heavier than usual, with extra spotting before and after menses for 6-12mths after insertion of iud. My menses is now back to normal after 1 year use of iud.

Overall i'm very happy with this contraceptive :)

wenz

I'm on birth control pills... Diane 35... good for skin too as it makes my skin smooth and no pimples... :001_302:

Gem2505

i was on mercilon pills b4 my pregnancy. once i stopped having it on that month, i got preg! ( it was a planned one )
=) everything was ok. no wt gain. no pimple. i think its up to individual body on these pills. like some people take certain cough syrup they get well soon but some dont feel the effect, etc.

however, aft my delivery( c sect ), i started having this pill back after 2 months. my menses still visit n have brown discharge EVERYDAY! till now. which is 2 months already. im puzzled. dunno if my body system changed aft delivery n the pills doesnt work like b4 or is it normal to be like this.
im stopped eating the pill yesterday n monitoring my flow. went to see GP, they cant answer at all. tsk. so i guess i need to make an appt with my gynae if things doesnt improve....