blocked ducts..... again..

woofy55

haiz... having blocked ducts again. since back to work, on wkdays.. i've been pumping at 10am and 4pm in the office. Latch on during midnite feeds, ie. 3am, 6am.. For feeds at 9pm and 11.30pm.. Louis is on FM..

Wkends.. most of the time I latch except for the 11.30pm dream feed..

Recently, Louis' latch on can be just 10mins on 1 side. But he looks ok and gave me great burp after every feed.. so I assume my milk supply has stablised and he is expertise in suckling and can drink very well now.

Question: after latching, do you all still pump out? cos after he latched on 1 side, I dun usually pump out cos i thot the supply is now "stablised". Do I still have too? zzz Can I just latch him on one side... then next feed the next side?

This time blocked ducts i think it's caused by i overslept last nite and hubby dreamfed him. And I didn't pump for whole day also cos i latch him the whole day.. and louis missed his 3am feed and woke up at 5am for his feed. I feel that he didn't empty the side of the breast after he had enuff, and I was too tired to wake up and pump though i can feel the fullness. At 8am, I latch him again... Then i can feel the hardness.. so i tried pumping... and it only came out 50ml... huh............ die liao lor...

Then i spent WHOLE DAY massaging my breast and trying to hand express the milk. And even more fustrated when i tried to latch louis.. he just scream and scream... :( Now i can still feel the lump... I am wondering if it's still the blocked duct or I've over exert the breast??!?! I feel so fustrated and tired now cos i've wasted my precious sunday. Everywhere i read say baby is the best to clear blocked ducts.. but how to if the baby can't get anything out and is so fustrated and refuses to latch.

so sianz... :(

so mummies.. u all still pump after latching yr baby?? And hving blocked ducts, the more u pump, the worse it becomes issit?? cos when i feel that it's cleared cos got sprays... i pumped and it blocked again!!!!!!! urrgghghh... :( super pekchek now...

cmeilim

sigh... having blocked ducts again. since back to work, on wkdays.. i've been pumping at 10am and 4pm in the office. Latch on during midnite feeds, ie. 3am, 6am.. For feeds at 9pm and 11.30pm.. Louis is on FM..

Wkends.. most of the time I latch except for the 11.30pm dream feed..

Recently, Louis' latch on can be just 10mins on 1 side. But he looks ok and gave me great burp after every feed.. so I assume my milk supply has stablised and he is expertise in suckling and can drink very well now.

Question: after latching, do you all still pump out? cos after he latched on 1 side, I dont usually pump out cos i thot the supply is now "stablised". Do I still have too? zzz Can I just latch him on one side... then next feed the next side?

This time blocked ducts i think it's caused by i overslept last nite and hubby dreamfed him. And I didn't pump for whole day also cos i latch him the whole day.. and louis missed his 3am feed and woke up at 5am for his feed. I feel that he didn't empty the side of the breast after he had enuff, and I was too tired to wake up and pump though i can feel the fullness. At 8am, I latch him again... Then i can feel the hardness.. so i tried pumping... and it only came out 50ml... huh............ die ...

Then i spent WHOLE DAY massaging my breast and trying to hand express the milk. And even more fustrated when i tried to latch louis.. he just scream and scream... :( Now i can still feel the lump... I am wondering if it's still the blocked duct or I've over exert the breast??!?! I feel so fustrated and tired now cos i've wasted my precious sunday. Everywhere i read say baby is the best to clear blocked ducts.. but how to if the baby can't get anything out and is so fustrated and refuses to latch.

so sianz... :(

so mummies.. you all still pump after latching yr baby?? And hving blocked ducts, the more you pump, the worse it becomes issit?? cos when i feel that it's cleared cos got sprays... i pumped and it blocked again!!!!!!! urrgghghh... :( super pekchek now...

hi woofy

i had blocked ducts recurring a couple of times after the first six weeks. i reaised it was from my own laziness in pumping out on a few unusual nites that my boy slept thru. baby also cried the first two or three times i latched him on to help me clear my blockages cos my breast was super hard and thus it was very difficult for him to get a good mouthful of my auerola with a good suction. but i tolerated the pain and his exasperated crying, and just kept telling him in a soft voice to please help mummy to help himself. thankfully he didn't totally lose patience and i think it was the fourth or fifth session after the blockage happened that i suddenly felt a softening and relaxation in my breast and heard the healthy suckle from my contented baby. do be patient and keep trying. i tried pumping, massage, hot compress to widen the ducts etc, but nothing worked as well as my baby's suckling.

as for whether you should still pump after nursing, yes you should esp if u feel full and u don't want your milk supply to drop. i wake up in the middle of the nite to pump even though my boy sleeps thru nowadays. if u feel u don't need so much EBM, my suggestion for u is to offer the EBM to your baby for the two FM feeds at nite as well. why feed your boy FM when you have more EBM to spare?

as for your baby taking only 5 min to suckle one side nowadays, this is normal as baby gets older and more efficient at nursing. you can try to offer him the other side after he has finished one. if he pushes away after suckling for a few moments, then just take his cue and let him be. pump out the rest and store. trust your baby to tell u when he's not yet full. =)

diymummy

Sayang woofy.

I got blocked ducts a few times when I lazy to pump. Usually after I latch one side (coz my son gets full from that one side), I will pump out the other side. I did that to relief myself and to prevent blocked ducts. I also pumped because during the initial weeks, my son prefered to nurse from the right than from the left, so I had a bigger right breast than left. I pumped to prevent that from happening again.

Whenever I have blocked ducts, I will take a warm shower before pumping or latching. After taking a warm shower, usually the flow will flow more easily. If you're unable to take a warm shower, you can use a warm towel to put over the swollen breast.

Phoebii Cheng

Normally when get blocked ducts, you need louis help....as he is latching on, you massage the blocked part towards the nipple and it will clear up.....

But if you really feel uncomfortable, you can apply warm towel have a warm shower and massage ....

But the best is to get ur bb to help u....:tlaugh:

woofy55

thanks ladies... yippy.. finally got the stubborn blocked duct cleared! Louis helped abit this morning before going to work.. and in office.. when pumping i kept massaging.. but the hardness is still there.

Just now i took warm shower again.. (ytd i also tried..zzz) then i looked carefully at the nipple.. when i press the hard area.. i noticed one of part got 1 tiny white dot.. when i released, it's gone, but when i exert pressure it's back again.. then i squeeze it like squeezing pimples.. after many tries.. i saw a white dot pop out.. and my milk went swwwissshhh out.. YEAH! what a relieve!!!

ok, thanks ladies... i'll pump out after louis take 1side... :)

Ytdy I've got very bad blocked ducts, my right breast was hard like rock. Tried all methods warm shower, put warm towel to compressed and looked for white spots but nothing. Hubby also helped me to massage my breast, arrgggh....super painful. It did help to relieve a bit but in the morning I felt the lump again. This time worst, the lump felt bigger...die! Then after reading the threads here, I put my boy to help relieve my ducts..phew! It works! Thanks God, I was praying like mad and talking softly to my boy to help mummy.

I was wondering is it ok not to pump out the excess aft feed? Btw, what causes blocked ducts? Will it reoccur again? Hw can it be prevented? I tot blocked ducts only happen during the beginning before mature milk comes in.

ikastaatsmann

oh no...im having same prob ...
i dono if thos waht u called milk duct prob..
3 days ago, i had this big lump, or mayb can call stone on my right breast, i got so panicked! then, i tried hot shower, warm towel massage, n then pumped my milk after baby feed. the next day that hard rock stone gone.
so yesterday, it came back again, n now it still there after massage n regular feeding fr my baby... what do i do guys???
my baby is 3 mth plus, n i wana bfeed till 6 mths.
but when its like this, i JUZ WANNA GIVE UP ALRDY!!! scaryyyy

cmeilim

hi lingerbell and ikastaatsmann

just want to share some very insightful articles abt the causes of blocked ducts (and more seriously, mastitis when there is recurrent blocked ducts with fever due to yeast infection) from kellymom. causes of (recurrent) blocked ducts in general even after the first few months could be due to bad milk drainage (due to skipping nursing/pumping sessions, oversupply, blocked nipples, bad latching position, wearing wired bras etc) or bacteria infection from baby to mummy, or mum's poor health (lack of rest, too much housework using upper arms...) etc. if there is no accompanying fever, the general method is to ensuring proper milk drainage by nursing often and pumping to clear the breasts. if there is mastitis, both baby and mommy will need to see doc to get proper antifungal treatment to prevent mastitis from recurring.

pls read the following links for more details. =)

kellymom.com :: Plugged Ducts and Mastitis

kellymom.com :: Recurrent Mastitis or Plugged Ducts

ikas, don't give up nursing. i also went thru recurrent blocked ducts, even with fever, but this phase will pass. persevere!

ikastaatsmann

just want to share some very insightful articles about the causes of blocked ducts (and more seriously, mastitis when there is recurrent blocked ducts with fever due to yeast infection) from kellymom. causes of (recurrent) blocked ducts in general even after the first few months could be due to bad milk drainage (due to skipping nursing/pumping sessions, oversupply, blocked nipples, bad latching position, wearing wired bras etc) or bacteria infection from baby to mummy, or mum's poor health (lack of rest, too much housework using upper arms...) etc. if there is no accompanying fever, the general method is to ensuring proper milk drainage by nursing often and pumping to clear the breasts. if there is mastitis, both baby and mommy will need to see doc to get proper antifungal treatment to prevent mastitis from recurring.

thank you very much for ur infos:)
i dont have any fever or redness on my breast, it juz a quiet big lump inside.so this is deff a plugged duct? i dont think its a mastitis? so how many day normally it will go away?
i juz feel a bit paranoid when i touch it...aghhhhh.,,,stress:(

cmeilim

just want to share some very insightful articles about the causes of blocked ducts (and more seriously, mastitis when there is recurrent blocked ducts with fever due to yeast infection) from kellymom. causes of (recurrent) blocked ducts in general even after the first few months could be due to bad milk drainage (due to skipping nursing/pumping sessions, oversupply, blocked nipples, bad latching position, wearing wired bras etc) or bacteria infection from baby to mummy, or mum's poor health (lack of rest, too much housework using upper arms...) etc. if there is no accompanying fever, the general method is to ensuring proper milk drainage by nursing often and pumping to clear the breasts. if there is mastitis, both baby and mommy will need to see doc to get proper antifungal treatment to prevent mastitis from recurring.

thank you very much for your infos:)
i dont have any fever or redness on my breast, it just a quiet big lump inside.so this is deff a plugged duct? i dont think its a mastitis? so how many day normally it will go away?
i just feel a bit paranoid when i touch it...aghhhhh.,,,stress:(

for my recurring blocked ducts, they usually lasted 1-2 days each time, but never longer than that. I got help from my baby - just nursed him more often and his suckling helped to clear them.