Blue Chip shares or Currency investment?

michellechin

Any idea which is better in terms of returns and has lower risk? Which blue chip company share to buy (stable, good prospect, etc) and what currency to buy? Need advice. TIA! :)

uddermummy

blue chips, if you're not speculating, offers less risk than currency investment.

but the higher the risk, the higher the gains.

then again, any investment you're not familiar with is v risky.

not safe to ask for recommendations cos it might be better for you to read up on what you want to buy, and because conditions change v quickly? :p

my two-cents worth.

diymummy

investments are all hard to say la. even if blue-chips, if the company doesn't have good corporate governance, also jia lat.

just like in 2007 the sembcorp scandal where the financial director made unauthorised foreign exchange transactions resulting in losses as much as US$248mil.

and look at creative (i won't consider creative shares bluechip but anyway), they were going to enter into a lawsuit with apple which sent their share prices tumbling to almost nothing but in the end, it was settled and apple even paid creative around $100mil to use creative's patent in all apple products (if i didn't remember the facts wrongly). after this creative's share prices rebounded.

so you'll really never know.

and look at the US sub-prime market. the currency got so bad that even some firms in china were considering using euros instead!

in short, if you're putting your money in to stocks and currency as investment, short-term buy and sell, i wouldn't consider it as an investment. but if you're willing to put it in for a while, and let the economy run its full cycle, then you might benefit in the long run.