breasfeeding in pain! please help

Hi mommies, since my boy grew his 2 upper teeth breatfeeding him is super painful. He didn't bite but somehow his teeth keeps rubbing my upper areola and it bleeds. The wound would not heal easily and my boy is very dependant on my breast especially to sleep. Have tried putting plaster and using nipple shield but my boy reject them. I've also swab the wound with alcohol to make it heal fast and apply breastmilk, tried nipple cream too but all dont't help.. I'm really sad cos I want to keep breastfeeding him but the pain is very excruciating.. Please help me with your advises.
Thanks

JazN

You may have to reposition your son when bf. Probably did not latch properly or may have doze off? For me when I feel some pain I'll re-position my daughter so it doesn't feel like she's "grinding" or unlatch her if I feel she's "biting" then put her a distance away to tell her not to "bite", rest for a bit before bf again.

I'm not too sure how to reposition cos either lying down on baby on my lap both still very painful. I try to unlatch him but he will cry out loud. Sigh..
The advise I get from his pd is try to wean him.. But I don't want to give up yet.

seraph

I'm not too sure how to reposition cos either lying down on baby on my lap both still very painful. I try to unlatch him but he will cry out loud. Sigh..
The advise I get from his pediatrician is try to wean him.. But I dont't want to give up yet.
You do not need to wean him, better breast feed after one year birthday.

you can try some breast shield, transparent, seems silicon rubber, very soft -- I once saw such little thing in KK store, they are designed to protect your nipple from crack by hard suckle, of course should be helpful when the little one practice his teeth on.

Maybe he bite you because his gums are itchy when teeth coming, you may give him some carrot or apple slice to chew, sweet and more chewable;

another reason he may fall asleep when feeding might because he is not full when your milk flow already drop to be very low, so, he is kind of waiting and sleeping. So, you can have some soupy items to increase your milk quantity -- My son used to chock as my milk flow too fast, he will be completely full within 20 mins, and end up at sound sleep -- when baby sound sleep, he is soft everywhere, surely can not bite teeth tightly.

Ya I have the breast shield but he rejected it. My milk flow still a lot that's why still kept feeding though the blister are bad cos I can't stand the engorge breast too.. Can't pump also due to the wounds.
Also my boy have a habit of comfort sucking especially at night. So he will suck very long.

seraph

My milk flow still a lot that's why still kept feeding though the blister are bad cos I can't stand the engorge breast too

hehe, that is the good reason not to wean~

maybe you can try some nipple cream to heal the crack -- I bought a lot of stuff from mommy essence, and they gave me some free gift -- the cream, forgot the name, but very good, maybe you can check with them...

if you plan to wean without pain, can try some soup from prettymommy.

joeybeadz

Ya I have the breast shield but he rejected it. My milk flow still a lot that's why still kept feeding though the blister are bad cos I can't stand the engorge breast too.. Can't pump also due to the wounds.
Also my boy have a habit of comfort sucking especially at night. So he will suck very long.
You should try to air your breasts after applying breastmilk / cream before you wear back your nursing bra if possible. Do not use soap and wash your aroela as it will tend to dry the skin. My daughter's teeth also rubbed against mine and can be painful, but no choice. :001_302:

seraph

You should try to air your breasts after applying breastmilk / cream before you wear back your nursing bra if possible. Do not use soap and wash your aroela as it will tend to dry the skin. My daughter's teeth also rubbed against mine and can be painful, but no choice. :001_302:
My sons were much better, the elder son is fully on breast milk, when he start to practice his first teeth on me, I told him: "No!", then he stopped use nipple as chewing gum, he was very gentle in fact. maybe I was lucky. The two little ones are naughty, they competed to use their teeth on me, and they laugh when see my painful face, so I have to pump out to feed them.

cmeilim

i 'train' my boy not to bite me. i see it as part of discipline from young. i tell him not to bite cos he's hurting mummy. if he does it again, i will unlatch him, and i keep unlatching him each time he bites until he gets it. to help him when he's teething very badly, i give him a cold teether before nursing him, to let him chew on it so that the coldness can help to numb his hurting gums. then he's less likely to bite me and use my nipples as a teether. i also make sure i nurse him before he gets very hungry. so far so good.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy bit me till there was a wound once and it was very painful to feed. Pumping can't clear my milk well, so I latched him back after a day. Super painful!

He rejected nipple shield too. And treated me like a pacifier during sleep too.

Try changing position to football hold? This should help avoid rubbing on the wound.
All the best and hang in there!

camom

I will usually unlatch and change position if relatching doesn't resolve the friction issue. No choice if bb cries, cos I dun have that high a threshold for pain.

Sometimes, the bb falls asleep and the latch is slightly off as a result & causes pain. In that case, I will unlatch and if he doesn't wake up, I'll let it be. Mine has full set of teeth already, so if the latch is not right, it's very painful.

joeybeadz

I will usually unlatch and change position if relatching doesn't resolve the friction issue. No choice if baby cries, cos I dont have that high a threshold for pain.

Sometimes, the baby falls asleep and the latch is slightly off as a result & causes pain. In that case, I will unlatch and if he doesn't wake up, I'll let it be. Mine has full set of teeth already, so if the latch is not right, it's very painful.
ouch! I can't imagine mine when it gets there... full of teeth. :wong19:

JazN

Hi Camom,

how old is your boy btw? Brought my daughter to pd was told can start to wean her from bf as baby don't usually self-wean, but i wanted to let duaghter self-wean as i read WHO still support bf even when 2yo & babycenter mentions baby will eventually self-wean

I will usually unlatch and change position if relatching doesn't resolve the friction issue. No choice if baby cries, cos I dont have that high a threshold for pain.

Sometimes, the baby falls asleep and the latch is slightly off as a result & causes pain. In that case, I will unlatch and if he doesn't wake up, I'll let it be. Mine has full set of teeth already, so if the latch is not right, it's very painful.

Thanks so much for the input mommies.. Even though I've tried most of the suggested it didn't help much. But it makes me feel better knowing that I'm not experiencing this alone and all the words above will make me persevere even more.

My hubby bought me some alcohol swabs and I applied 3 times on the wounded breast, let the breast rest for the whole day and I felt that it recover pretty fast. Applied breastmilk too and air the wound til it dried before putting bra on.

Mummy to Baby V

Hi Camom,

how old is your boy btw? Brought my daughter to pediatrician was told can start to wean her from bf as baby dont't usually self-wean, but i wanted to let duaghter self-wean as i read WHO still support bf even when 2yo & babycenter mentions baby will eventually self-wean
As long as both you & baby enjoy your breastfeeding relationship, just continue up to 2 years old and beyond. The nutrients and emotional comfort are wonderful! :)

camom

Hi Camom,

how old is your boy btw? Brought my daughter to pediatrician was told can start to wean her from bf as baby dont't usually self-wean, but i wanted to let duaghter self-wean as i read WHO still support bf even when 2yo & babycenter mentions baby will eventually self-wean
Hi JazN,

He's 25 mths old now. The GP I saw did mention that as they grow older, it's more difficult to implement parent-led weaning. I did suggest and tried some methods that friends have recommended but I wasn't successful. So yes, I will still bf till he decides to wean.

seraph

I had a relative, he was breast fed till 7 years old! Used to remember when he came back from kindergarden, he will first go to his mom, and drink milk!!!:err:

they just love mommy milk, more than milk, they love the feeling of bonding with their mommy -- nothing can compare with this.

when my son was 3.5 years old, he waited for me to pump milk and then he drank in bottles -- he was shy to drink directly from me :shyxxx::elvis:. he always patiently waited beside and looked at me in such a way that I would like to give him the whole world: his eyes were full of love and that make me feel so proud of being mommy.

Carry on, it just worth all efforts!

Hi JazN,

He's 25 mths old now. The GP I saw did mention that as they grow older, it's more difficult to implement parent-led weaning. I did suggest and tried some methods that friends have recommended but I wasn't successful. So yes, I will still bf till he decides to wean.

Mummy to Baby V

I read somewhere that it is natural for human beings to wean at 2-7 years old. Breastmilk is simply our first and most perfect food. :)