Breast pumps & recommendations

momosa

HI, I'm into my 30th weeks now. Intend to BF my baby. Not sure when is a good time to buy breast pumps? Understand there's a couple of brands as well. Which brand will you recommend?

Thanks!

Phoebii Cheng

Actually you can start to source out for breast pump now, buy it when there is a sale.....

Tht time for me my fren lent it to me, it's Medela Swing

camom

Start looking ard and compare prices. I bought mine when I was 4-5 mths pregnant.

I use Ameda Lactaline, hospital grade electric dual pump. Meets my needs and budget.

Most impt thing is, don't ever buy that 1st tin of milk powder to tempt you.

camom

errr.. i was actually thinking of supplementing fm for night feeds just in case my supply is low for e first week or so.. :err:
If you intend to tbf, then don't ever buy the 1st tin. Very tempting to give in, I know cos I did that with my 1st kid. With the 2nd one, I didn't even buy a milk bottle. Die die also must grit my teeth and persevere for that 1st 6 wks and things will run smoother and bf becomes a routine.

Forgot to add that I've also bought an Avent Isis manual pump cos bb was hospitalised abruptly after his routine check at the paed and I didn't have the time to run home to collect my pump.

Last edited:

meiteoh

Agree. I've been BFing exclusively since Day 1 and Eva is now over 7 mths. I never introduced FM or even water in the first 5.5 months (before she started solids) and I'm still BFing.

I tell all my mummy friends who intend on BFing - DO NOT buy FM, not even a small tin. The temptation will be there and people around her will psycho you into feeding FM. If you want to kill your supply, then be my guest and buy FM. Otherwise, don't. You're not doing your child or yourself a favour.

If you feed your baby FM, you'll be satisfying baby's hunger and he/she won't want to latch on which means that your supply WILL NEVER PICK UP! This is especially crucial AT NIGHT when milk production is the highest. If your baby doesn't latch on at night, it won't help boost your supply - a very common mistake many mothers here make.

Milk takes at least two weeks to come in; until then, your baby can survive on their body fat and your colostrum which is even more important than FM as it contains antibodies and necessary nutrients.

The first month is always tough for new mummies coz of the regular feeds - you'll need to latch on your baby every two hours or so including the nights. But it's for good reason. It helps establish your milk supply AND maintain it.

This is why they say that breastfeeding is hard BUT at the end of the day, it's well worth the effort and energy.

Also, NEVER ever assume that you have low milk supply. Have you breastfed before? If not, then how do you know? Even then, every BFing journey is not the same. Breast size, and genes (how much milk the females in your family have) is no indication of your ability to breastfeed. I know of mummies with 36A breasts who can pump out 25 oz of BM in a day and also, the females on my mum's side BF only for one month and give up coz no milk or have issues. Me? I'm still going strong. So really, don't be so quick to assume that you'll have low milk supply.

Last edited:

fioncess

HI, I'm into my 30th weeks now. Intend to BF my baby. Not sure when is a good time to buy breast pumps? Understand there's a couple of brands as well. Which brand will you recommend?

Thanks!
I agree with what meiteoh say.. nv buy FM is u intend to BF....
N must be determine cos ppl ard you with ask you give up BFing....Close your ears when u hear tt...
if you wan to buy breast pump.. maybe you can consider me?
im selling of my medela swing which is still under warranty... i can say its very nice still got massage function before it pump.. but sadly i stop bfing...
and im giving away new pump parts for hygiene purpose... can pm me if you are interested. price can be nego...
Jia you for BF... =)

momosa

Thanks everyone for your advice. :001_302: Will defininitely try and BF as long as possible, which is what I had in mind actually.
Just that I heard many reviews on certain brands like Avent, Medela and Ameda, so not very sure which is good.

momosa

I agree with what meiteoh say.. never buy FM is you intend to BF....
N must be determine cos ppl around you with ask you give up BFing....Close your ears when you hear that...
if you want to buy breast pump.. maybe you can consider me?
im selling of my medela swing which is still under warranty... i can say its very nice still got massage function before it pump.. but sadly i stop bfing...
and im giving away new pump parts for hygiene purpose... can pm me if you are interested. price can be nego...
Jia you for BF... =)
Thanks Fioncess, I'm still in the midst of considering. Will pm ou if I'm keen.:biggrin:

camom

Agree. I've been BFing exclusively since Day 1 and Eva is now over 7 mths. I never introduced FM or even water in the first 5.5 months (before she started solids) and I'm still BFing.

I tell all my mummy friends who intend on BFing - DO NOT buy FM, not even a small tin. The temptation will be there and people around her will psycho you into feeding FM. If you want to kill your supply, then be my guest and buy FM. Otherwise, dont't. You're not doing your child or yourself a favour.

If you feed your baby FM, you'll be satisfying baby's hunger and he/she won't want to latch on which means that your supply WILL NEVER PICK UP! This is especially crucial AT NIGHT when milk production is the highest. If your baby doesn't latch on at night, it won't help boost your supply - a very common mistake many mothers here make.

Milk takes at least two weeks to come in; until then, your baby can survive on their body fat and your colostrum which is even more important than FM as it contains antibodies and necessary nutrients.

The first month is always tough for new mummies coz of the regular feeds - you'll need to latch on your baby every two hours or so including the nights. But it's for good reason. It helps establish your milk supply AND maintain it.

This is why they say that breastfeeding is hard BUT at the end of the day, it's well worth the effort and energy.

Also, NEVER ever assume that you have low milk supply. Have you breastfed before? If not, then how do you know? Even then, every BFing journey is not the same. Breast size, and genes (how much milk the females in your family have) is no indication of your ability to breastfeed. I know of mummies with 36A breasts who can pump out 25 oz of breast milk in a day and also, the females on my mum's side BF only for one month and give up coz no milk or have issues. Me? I'm still going strong. So really, dont't be so quick to assume that you'll have low milk supply.
Well Said!!!:red:

mrsmorgan

i might be buying e single avent electric pump cuz i read that e petals are comfortable n that smetimes those dual pumps might hurt as both breasts are pumped at e same time.. n a dual pump is also way above my budget! :001_302:

saw that pigeon also has a silent single electric pump but found no reviews on it so far.. hmm

ali50n

where can i buy the Medela Swing Breast Pump Set? Compare to phillip and pigeon which are these brands is good n easy to pump?

mrsmorgan

saw that kiddy palace is still havin promotion for e philips avent single electric pump set.. i think it comes with e cooler bag, one bottle n bm storage bags.. smethin like that la.. usual price $339, now $150 only!! thot of gettin it but hubs insisted on buying during e baby fair.. hope i dint just miss on a gd deal! :embarrassed:

anyways, i also came across The First Years miPump, a single electric one.. goin for $129.. anyone used this before?

mrsmorgan

If you intend to tbf, then dont't ever buy the 1st tin. Very tempting to give in, I know cos I did that with my 1st kid. With the 2nd one, I didn't even buy a milk bottle. Die die also must grit my teeth and persevere for that 1st 6 wks and things will run smoother and bf becomes a routine.

Forgot to add that I've also bought an Avent Isis manual pump cos baby was hospitalised abruptly after his routine check at the paed and I didn't have the time to run home to collect my pump.
ive got inverted nipples, so im worried that bb cant latch on so i can only feed him ebm.. i thot of supplementing fm at nite cuz scared bb will be hungry n crying n i wont hav time to express milk.. haizz dunno wat to do also.. =/

camom

ive got inverted nipples, so im worried that baby cant latch on so i can only feed him ebm.. i thot of supplementing fm at nite cuz scared baby will be hungry n crying n i wont hav time to express milk.. haizz dont know what to do also.. =/
My fren has inverted nipples and she is still tbf her baby who just turned 1yo. Don't worry too much... if you want, I can check with her for tips.

I remember hearing from someone that for inverted nipples, u can use the pump to draw out the nipples 1st b4 u latch on.

ping26

ive got inverted nipples, so im worried that baby cant latch on so i can only feed him ebm.. i thot of supplementing fm at nite cuz scared baby will be hungry n crying n i wont hav time to express milk.. haizz dont know what to do also.. =/
mrsmorgan, u have to see a lactation consultant (LC) now!!

I didn't know better. of course, my CL also didn't know.

My LC told me that u shld use the nipple puller a few mth below delivery. She recommended Avent niplette. Pigeon has a cheaper one. Not sure of effectiveness cos I didn't use any. I used nipple protecter, not very good too.

I made the mistake of feeding via bottle. Pls use syringe or cup!! It will be difficult to latch direct once baby experiences fast flow of teat, even S size is much faster & teat is long (easier for sucking). My nipples are short.

After some fierce battles with baby, I lost & pumped exclusively & have supplement w FM. My gastric problems also made it difficult to have sufficient BM. I pump 5x (almost 1 hr/session) per day but still not much BM. Maybe u can ask LC what breast pump is good for mummies w inverted nipples. U may also need to buy larger funnels if nipple is totally inverted.

Just try your best. My advice is don't buy any teat! haha, direct competition with yr breast. I feel FM is alright if yr family puts u under pressure for "starving baby" but teat is no-no cos it's harder to latch w inverted or short nipples.