breastfeeding and mestruation questions

hi mommies.. i have few questions to ask:

-since your menses resume has it been regular??

-if above answer is No, was your menses before pregnancy regular??

-when does your menses resume and how often did it come??

i have my menses since my baby turns 10months old.. i had 2 cycle already.. the 2nd one came 33days after the 1st period, so its 5days late from the normal 28days cycle(which i used to pre-pregnancy days)

and this month i suppose to have my 3rd period and it's been 37days since the 2nd cycle but menses not here.

-should i be worried if anything is wrong?? should i see a doctor?? or is this normal for breastfeeding mother??

i'm planning for 2nd baby, certainly not mind being pregnant but the test kit shows i'm not.

what should i do??? i've been having backaches and i feel a drop in breastmilk quantity.

please give your inputs.. it will be very much appreciated.
thanks.

xlan

I'm breastfeeding exclusively.. had menses when my boy was around 7 or 8 WEEKS old.. lasted for a week and i did experience a drop in my milk supply during that week.. and now my boy is already 4mths+ but no more menses since then.. i asked my gynae before regarding this and he said it is normal for a mom who breastfeed exclusively.. if u r worried, may b is wise to visit your gynae to check =)

camom

I had my 1st period abt 14 mths after I delivered my bb. It has been regularly reporting every mth. My cycle is not that much different from pre-pregnancy time, abt 35 days cycle.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
my menses resumed usually 3-4 mths after birth and were irregular both before and after. Never knew when I was gonna be fertile. Much of that has to do with the hormone levels a bfg mother experiences. Things like growth spurts or illness can knock our menstrual periods off schedule.

during menses, you would experience a drop in supply... its normal and you don't have to do anything about it.

if you're planning for a 2nd baby, you can continue with bfg. I've conceived twice while bfg... only thing is that it might be harder for some people due to the hormone levels. One thing that has helped some of my gfs is dropping the nite feeds. Others had to stop bfg totally to get fertile again. I'd say, if you're periods are back, you are fertile and just have to be patient and try as often as you can so that you'll catch your fertile period.

good luck

xlan

Since bf disturbed the menses cycles, for my case I don hv menses for the past 2 mth already, how to tell if I'm pregnant (considering Hubby & I didn't take any contraceptive)?

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
Since bf disturbed the menses cycles, for my case I dont have menses for the past 2 month already, how to tell if I'm pregnant (considering Hubby & I didn't take any contraceptive)?
actually your nursling will usually know first. They'll start fussing at the breast more and demanding more nursing session. For me, sore nips and just a general sense of a change in my body (i'm pretty sensitive to my body). My mucus changed too... hard to describe how.

the longest my period stayed away was 3 mths.

xlan

amazing! i wonder how the nursling knows.. thanks for sharing.. =)

actually your nursling will usually know first. They'll start fussing at the breast more and demanding more nursing session. For me, sore nips and just a general sense of a change in my body (i'm pretty sensitive to my body). My mucus changed too... hard to describe how.

the longest my period stayed away was 3 mths.

cmeilim

my menses was pretty regular before first pregnancy. it went MIA after delivery as i was exclusively breastfeeding and only resumed 9 months later, and i continued nursing exclusively. when it resumed, it was with clockwork precision down to the exact day, so when it failed to report for 'duty' as per normal by just one day, i knew that was a red letter day. am preggie with DS2 now and still exclusively breastfeeding my DS1. DS1 enjoys his nursing sessions tremendously and that makes me very happy and able to endure the sore nipples that come with nursing while being pregnant. =)

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
my menses was pretty regular before first pregnancy. it went MIA after delivery as i was exclusively breastfeeding and only resumed 9 months later, and i continued nursing exclusively. when it resumed, it was with clockwork precision down to the exact day, so when it failed to report for 'duty' as per normal by just one day, i knew that was a red letter day. am preggie with DS2 now and still exclusively breastfeeding my DS1. DS1 enjoys his nursing sessions tremendously and that makes me very happy and able to endure the sore nipples that come with nursing while being pregnant. =)
if it helps any, nursing thru pgy is worth it! when you get two nurslings at your breast playing and grinning at each other.. your heart will fill til overflowing. Hang in there... it is only for less than 9 mths. *hugs*

Since bf disturbed the menses cycles, for my case I don hv menses for the past 2 mth already, how to tell if I'm pregnant (considering Hubby & I didn't take any contraceptive)?
I knew within a couple of weeks of conception because nipples were very sore, milk supply dipped quite dramatically, and the usual nausea and extreme fatigue set in - so it was time to confirm with home test kit ;)

Edwinie

i'm currently breastfeeding now but my menses came around week 7 and came at week 9 again. both times, there's menses like bleeding but it's very little. i don't even need a pad. a pantyliner is enough. i'm sure it's not discharge. is it suppose to be like this?

Edwinie

i've got a questions, i've been breastfeeding for 5 months and my menses is like spotting. so far, i think i spotted 3 times, roughly every 30 days. these few days i've been having menstrual-like cramps which didn't happen before. anyone felt this before? if it's not normal, i think i better see a gynae..

i've got a questions, i've been breastfeeding for 5 months and my menses is like spotting. so far, i think i spotted 3 times, roughly every 30 days. these few days i've been having menstrual-like cramps which didn't happen before. anyone felt this before? if it's not normal, i think i better see a gynae..
my girl is 14 months and still breastfeeding - and i pump at work for the both of them and so have been having irregular menses. last 2 months were just spotting too. recently saw my gynae for routine checkup and she didn't think it was major. think it's quite normal, especially since the cycle of spotting is quite regular for you and if your baby is on total breastfeeding

Edwinie

my girl is 14 months and still breastfeeding - and i pump at work for the both of them and so have been having irregular menses. last 2 months were just spotting too. recently saw my gynae for routine checkup and she didn't think it was major. think it's quite normal, especially since the cycle of spotting is quite regular for you and if your baby is on total breastfeeding
did you have cramps? it's the cramps that worry me..

did you have cramps? it's the cramps that worry me..
yes, on occasion. people say the cramps go away after childbirth, but it's not true in my case. but if you are worried, would be good to see a doc just to be safe, or even if it's just to assure yourself :)

XenXuan

Mine was irregular b4 pregnancy.. My breastmilk supply only lasted 2mths n menses came after breastmilk stopped.. But after tat,it was a 6mths gap b4 my 2nd cycle came.. Both cycles were so much more cramps n full 7days heavy mense flow,I was almost juz lying on my bed in pain tat whole week n changing pads every 2hrs.. I resumed my 5-6weeks cycle with usual cramps n 5-6days normal flow after tat 2 painful n messy menses cycle..

2011mummy

I gt questions too..

Breastfeeding will delay menses rite, only apply to full Breastfeeding? Hw abt partial Breastfeeding thru EBM??

Usually hw long will menses resume after stop Breastfeeding??

I gt questions too..

Breastfeeding will delay menses rite, only apply to full Breastfeeding? Hw about partial Breastfeeding thru EBM??

Usually hw long will menses resume after stop Breastfeeding??
it really depends and varies from mommy to mommy. both my sister and i conceived no 2 while bf-ing no 1. our babies were both TBF. mine was latched on in the night only though, but i pump in the day.

Asphere

i also have some concerns... i am bf my boy who is going to 2 mths and so far i think my menses came twice and i am not sure if this is normal.
and how would i know if i can try for my 2nd child if my menses schedule is so messed up?
b4 pregnant my cycle is normal.
please advise.