breastfeeding and solids

uddermummy

hi mummies, i read that bb's intake of milk is supposed to stay the same even after we've introduced semi-solids, right up till they are one year old.

I'm latching bb directly on so how do i make sure that bb is drinking enuf? Do you intro fresh fruit juices?

Also, once bb is having solids 3 times a day, do i still offer her milk after the meals? If not, when to give her milk huh? Like that if bb is still drinking the same amt, does that mean that bb has to drink a lot at one go?

thanks!!

annie

hmm i bought books n it seems that up till 1 yr old, bb still need to take about 4-5 times of milk in 24hrs.. so if your bb dun wake up for night feed anymore, he/she needs to take 4-5 times of milk in the day...i dun give my girl after meal cos i think she will be too full for milk but i do give her after about 1hr...i think direct latch on is fine.. she will take jsut wat she needs.

i dun think should give juice leh.. they are not necessary yet...

i give my girl 1 time at 5.30-6am when she wakes, one time at 9am, (solid at 10am) one time at 11.30am before her nap, 1 time at 4pm before her nap if she takes it, (solid at 5.30pm), 1 time at 8pm, 1 time before her bed time at 9pm...so its 6 times! lol

shespice

LOL Annie, you little gal is so cute! She can stand already ah?
I like the pic of her "choosing" her food on the menu! hahahaha

snowbear

The great thing about latching on is that we dont ever need to stress about how much they're taking in! :) Make sure that baby continues to feed at least 4 times a day and more if baby is younger (6-9mths).

There is no need to introduce fruit juices. You may only want to do so when they are much older so that they dont get accustomed to drinking sweet drinks. That said, if you wish to give fruit juice, make sure you dilute it if you're making it yourself.

I still do give alicia feeds after meals sometimes. Maybe half an hr to an hr after her semi-solid meal. When she was younger, she'd want to latch immediately after meals. Really depends on your dear daughter. :) Alicia can latch on up to 10 times a day even now, and as few as 4 times. But if she latches on for many times a day, each time, she'd drink only a few minutes (unless it's before zz or naptime), like have a snack then she'd "run" off to do her thing... :D

Last edited:

annie

shespice thanks lol. she is always attracted by the menus in the restaurant so i always let her play with one ... looks like she is choosing food hehe. so i took it down since it looks funny hhe

yah she can stand and walk around the table while holding onto it hehe. knows how sit to down when she gets tired of standing or trying to pick up things on the floor as well...

uddermummy

thanks mummies! This kan cheong mummy is starting to get kan cheong 2 mths b4 solids!!!

the typical kiasu singaporean. :p

snowbear

btw, do you give your bbs supplements or iron drops?
No i don't, though i know that's part of the Super Baby Food diet. The Super Baby Food diet doesn't offer meat as part of the diet. I personally dun quite like the idea of having to give supplements to such a young child!

For me, i'm also concerned about her intake of iron so i try to make her eat some iron-enriched cereal or sneak some meat into her food (she recently doesn't quite like chicken/pork).

annie

me too dun like the idea of giving bb supplements.. i try to get those iron for her from food source. same as snowbear...

uddermummy

oic, when did you intro meat? The super baby food says to wait until 7 or 8 mths. Did you wait until then?

I'm also going to start with iron-fortified cereal. I also prefer that to iron drop.

btw, how much did you pay for the healthy times cereal? The brown rice one cost $7.30 at cold storage, and $8.30 at an organic store near my place.

oic, when did you intro meat? The super baby food says to wait until 7 or 8 mths. Did you wait until then?

I'm also going to start with iron-fortified cereal. I also prefer that to iron drop.

btw, how much did you pay for the healthy times cereal? The brown rice one cost $7.30 at cold storage, and $8.30 at an organic store near my place.
Hi udderummy, I bgt the healthytimes brown rice cereal for my ds costs $6.93 at ntuc fairprice, cheaper.

annie

i intro meet when my girl reach her 8mths mark lol.

btw, when mummies intro bb to 3 meals a day? i read here that it should be when they are 9mths old.. my girl just reached 9mths. i wonder if i should start soon...

snowbear

Yes, i waited till she was 8 months. Meanwhile i just fed her with iron-fortified cereal.

Healthy Times cereal is cheapest at NTUC.. :D

snowbear

i intro meet when my girl reach her 8mths mark lol.

btw, when mummies intro baby to 3 meals a day? i read here that it should be when they are 9mths old.. my girl just reached 9mths. i wonder if i should start soon...
I think can give bb 3 meals a day once bb's eating those 2 meals very well. Just try and see how she takes to it. Usually when websites suggest 3 meals a day, one of the meals is usually just fruits/vegetables.

annie

oh? hmmm.. my girl is taking her 2 meals well now.. always finishing her food.. maybe i shall try increasing to 3 meals after im back from sg.. hee

uddermummy

i was thinking of following the super baby food book and giving 3 meals when she's about 8 months...

snowbear, do you really follow the book's suggestion of having super porridge and yoghurt as the 2 main meals?

The super porridge really sounds super! :)

uddermummy

and hor, and hor, do you add breastmilk to the purees and cereals? If not, how do you thicken?

Sianzz, I so don't want to start expressing again...

annie

add milk will thin it. not thicken it.

wat is super porridge?

i dun add milk to her food at all cos i dun express also.. thicken.. just put less water lor hehe

uddermummy

add milk will thin it. not thicken it.

what is super porridge?

i dont add milk to her food at all cos i dont express also.. thicken.. just put less water hehe
oic, this mummy v suaku and can tell that she doesn't cook! hahaha:tlaugh:

this super porridge is actually more like cereals from organic grains like oats, brown rice, millet etc that you make on your own.

It's from this book called Super Baby Foods that a few of us mummies here have bought on stonston and snowbear's recommendations. Can get it from amazon.com also.