Breastfeeding and sore throat

Gwynne

Hi mummies,

I would like to know if we could take strepsils for our sore throat while we are still breastfeeding?
If not what are the other options available for us to treat our sore throat.

Thanks!

Depends on the cause. If is just throat inflammation, u can buy danzen from OTC. Lozenges can but I forgot the name. If u can quote me the name I might be able to recall. If still can't help, could be bacterial infection which u will need augmentin. Augmentin is safe for pregnancy n lactating.

gwynne,

i think not enough test done to check whether it affect breastfeeding or not. best is to call up doctor to check.

meanwhile, try to keep the throat hydrated by sipping water more often. if u are not doing confinement , cold milk might help to soothe the throat

Strepsils I am still not sure. The lozenges I was given by a gp during pregnant is MAC. My gynae prescribed me augmentin. I also took it during lactating.

Angeleye

There are SAFE medicines for mummy to take if they are not well and still wish to breast feed. Remember, Safe suring pregnancy, safe for breast feeding. If mummy have to be on anti-biotics, steroids, it may be preferred not to breastfeed until end of anti-biotic course.

I rem my doc asked me not to take strepsils. MAC or doritricin (spelling something like tat) lozenges are safe for preg. if i am not wrong, you can get these 2 lozenges over the guardian counter. usu sore throat happend when there is an infection and the fastest way to treat is to take antibiotics. augmentin is safe.

diza

I had sore throat last weekend and my milk supply did drop. It was so difficult to even pump 100ml!! I took strepsils coz I didn't know BF mothers cannot take them :( After reading this thread, i just drink plenty of water and co-sleep with baby during feeding to get enough rest. Now my phlegm still yellowish but getting better. I'm seeing my gynae this mon for post-natal check so I might ask her to give me medicine suitable for BF.

diza, actually i m not so sure if my gynae said cannot take strepsils cos somehow i just have this impression tat she said dun take it when i was preg (so i suppose whatever you cant take during preg, you cant take during bf). in any case, i think you beta get some antibiotics so that you get well soon. else spread to baby worse.

andieluv2

Shirix:718723 said:
If got sore throat, should I continue to latch on or pump out for baby better?
i think both the same depending on ur preference. latching might be more tiring as u're sick now. pumping out allows u to get someone else to feed the baby for u while u rest. so really up to u.

btw, try not to stop bfing. if ya.have to be on antibiotic, ask the doctor to give some suitable for bf. i had augmentin whn i.had crack nipple from bfing. but i juz continue to bf vcoz the goodness in bm way surpass the possible complication of passing the medication to baby.