Breastfeeding mummy going oversea

iwan2noe

Hi mummies,

I'm feeding my gal breast milk full time by expressing it & feeding it with milk bottles. However, I need to be overseas for a few days. I m wondering how I can do abt my breast as the most I can go without expressing the milk is 6-8 hrs afte which my breast will feel v full n needs to be expressed else I will feel v engorged. Can someone advise me how u go abt solving this problem whenu go oversea?
1) Bring breast pump n pump out the milk n store it in fridge so that won't waste the milk. But most hotels only have a small fridge which doesn't allow many bottles of milk to be stored plus the fridge is small n short..

2) expressed the milk n throw it away? ( WASTED!! )

OR how else I can do? I don't want to affect my milk flow as I know once the milk supply is disrupted it is v difficult n long for it to resume or worst nv resume again..

HELP!!!

Thanks alot;)

sharonyi66

I have the same concern as you too...

What I'm goona do was: bring my pump over, express and throw away. I know it's a waste but no choice as I will be away for 5 days and EBM can only store in fridge 24-48hrs depending on how cold the frigde was and if were to freeze it, by the time bring back SG will have already defrost. Defrost BM gotto finish up within 24hrs in fridge condition, not to mention that it cannot be freeze back again..

Knowing that I can't keep in the hotel fridge nor can I freeze it, I gotto throw it away to maintain my supply...

By the way, even Im oversea, I will still have to express regularly as if Im in SG so my supply wont get 'interrupted'.

It's a hassle but bo bian, that's our precious baby precious food... LOL

Last edited:

cmeilim

What I'm goona do was: bring my pump over, express and throw away. I know it's a waste but no choice as I will be away for 5 days and EBM can only store in fridge 24-48hrs depending on how cold the frigde was and if were to freeze it, by the time bring back SG will have already defrost. Defrost breast milk gotto finish up within 24hrs in fridge condition, not to mention that it cannot be freeze back again..

Knowing that I can't keep in the hotel fridge nor can I freeze it, I gotto throw it away to maintain my supply...

By the way, even Im oversea, I will still have to express regularly as if Im in SG so my supply wont get 'interrupted'.

ya, my ex-colleague brought her pump when she went holidaying in japan with her hubby for more than a week. she pumped every five hours to maintain supply. pump and throw.

iwan2noe

ya, my ex-colleague brought her pump when she went holidaying in japan with her hubby for more than a week. she pumped every five hours to maintain supply. pump and throw.
So sad. It's priceless yet no choice ! Unless courier back home..spend money lor, n no guarantee!!

cmeilim

So sad. It's priceless yet no choice ! Unless courier back home..spend money , n no guarantee!!

it's priceless, but it's also free. provided by nature. hence better to pump and waste than to cause supply to diminish and perhaps even end. if that hapopens, no matter how much money we have also can't get back the BM. =)

Mummy to Baby V

Pump and don't throw, use it!!! :)
If my boy did not drink my EBM when we were doing cup-training, I drank it, very nutritious. I believe in not wasting good food, and breastmilk is nature's perfect food.

Or use it to do facial on your face or hands. The milk treatment will make them super-smooth.

Or use an hair conditioner during your trip.

Use the precious breastmilk! :)

iwan2noe

Pump and dont't throw, use it!!! :)
If my boy did not drink my EBM when we were doing cup-training, I drank it, very nutritious. I believe in not wasting good food, and breastmilk is nature's perfect food.

Or use it to do facial on your face or hands. The milk treatment will make them super-smooth.

Wow! I'd try that! Thanks mummy;)

allycat

Pump and don't throw, use it!!! :)

Care to share your DIY milk treatment receipe?

Mummy to Baby V

Very simple, some examples at http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_2100110

First heard of using breastmilk for soaking hands at a Taiwanese variety show.
Same idea as rubbing breastmilk over sore/cracked nipples to make them heal faster.

Enjoy your DIY breastmilk treatments during your trip. Great chance to rejuvenate and for free too. :)

biglady

What I'm goona do was: bring my pump over, express and throw away. I know it's a waste but no choice as I will be away for 5 days and EBM can only store in fridge 24-48hrs depending on how cold the frigde was and if were to freeze it, by the time bring back SG will have already defrost. Defrost breast milk gotto finish up within 24hrs in fridge condition, not to mention that it cannot be freeze back again..

Hi.. just wanna check. Me have the same case. Will bring pump to maintain flow, pump every 5hrs? But do you give your babies formula when u're overseas or you store enough 'stocks' for bb?