Breastfeeding while working

BubbaMama

Hi Blummy,

dont stress yourself too much now. Just be really consistent with the pumping and storing, you'll built a Lil milk bank soon. And remember to eat well and relax before and while pumping. This will help shorten your pumping time at work and produce quality milk.

When I went back to work after 8 weeks, I was struggling with stress from work and had fight with other mommies for the nursing room. I converted one of my office store room into a nursing room for me and my other colleague. You can also do the pumping at your own cubicle *if you have one to yourself*, just hang a sign and also curtain for that. Saving time may give you more time to pump the milk or more precious Happyments with your daughter.

In the meantime, stay healthy and have a great time with your baby gal.

blummy

Dear BubbaMama,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement.

Yup, will keep perservering and hopefully will be able to build a little milk bank soon =) I still have 1 month to go, so that's good to know =)
Will keep everyone updated on my progress =)

Cheers

3Cmum

3Cmum, u can still get 120ml after latching? That is very good. How I hope I can achieve that too.

Not straight away. It took maybe a week or so for body to adapt. It's a demand supply issue. Whatever it is, just don't give up. Whatever amt you can produce is better than none at all & baby reaps the benefits. All the best!

pinky80

3Cmum, after latching, how long do you pump to get 120ml. I have tried to do that for a week now but still get same amount. Though I know different body will give different result but I just want to ensure I am doing it right.

3Cmum

3Cmum, after latching, how long do you pump to get 120ml. I have tried to do that for a week now but still get same amount. Though I know different body will give different result but I just want to ensure I am doing it right.
It will depend on lots of things eg what pump u use & how comfortable u r with e pump. I'm using Medela. Usually I pump abt 10 minutes on e 2nd side baby drank. I've read that it's supposed to be pump until milk stops flowing which is usually abt 15 minutes. Another thing I've read is that sometimes after milk stops flowing if u continue to pump a few minutes may get 2nd let down reflex & lots more milk. I've found this to be true but sometimes no time to pump so long.

BubbaMama

Dear BubbaMama,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement.

Yup, will keep perservering and hopefully will be able to build a little milk bank soon =) I still have 1 month to go, so that's good to know =)
Will keep everyone updated on my progress =)

Cheers
Have fun babe!

shanx2

Hi all, my bb seems dont like the ebm from freezer. I try to smell on the thaw milk and found that it have some smell. However, if i keep my ebm in fridge, then the milk will not have the smell. Is this true that freezer milk hv some smell??

3Cmum

Hi all, my bb seems dont like the ebm from freezer. I try to smell on the thaw milk and found that it have some smell. However, if i keep my ebm in fridge, then the milk will not have the smell. Is this true that freezer milk hv some smell??

Yes, frozen ebm may have smell, they say it's due to an enzyme. They suggest to scald milk before freezer storage. Refer this website for more info http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/. Have not tried this personally though. I try to give fridge milk most of the time, freezer store only for emergency. Cos also heard that frozen milk loses some antibodies.

diza

Yup frozen milk might have a funny smell. Even the storage bags that I used said so but it claimed that the taste remains the same. Never tried tasting it so I don't know. But my boy drinks all 3, frozen, fridge and fresh frm breast. Hehe.

shanx2

U r rite 3Cmum. When my bb was sick, doctor ask me to latch on so that my bb will get the antibodies. The ebm will lost the antibodies.

Hi mummies,
You may consider eating some lactation cookies to boost ur milk supply.. I have 2 kids, and I had bf problems with my 1st child. So was looking for a lot of help / research to ensure my 2nd (now 3.5 months) has enough. Was spending a lot of money on vitamins. Then I found out how lactation cookies can work, and I tried them out. And they did for me. So I've been spending time trying to work out cookies recipes to help other mummies in their breastfeeding journey. And I finally manage to see some results from other mummies as well! You can find out more from Milk Of Love | It's all about Breastmilk.

Yes, frozen ebm may have smell, they say it's due to an enzyme. They suggest to scald milk before freezer storage. Refer this website for more info http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/. Have not tried this personally though. I try to give fridge milk most of the time, freezer store only for emergency. Cos also heard that frozen milk loses some antibodies.
ya why do u give ur child "expired" milk. it's jus like those fozen food that u eat. not fresh at all...

bertrande

ya why do you give your child "expired" milk. it's just like those fozen food that you eat. not fresh at all...
Hmm I take issue with that - frozen milk is not expired. When I was away from my baby for 2-3 weeks, she had nothing but thawed EBM - it's a matter of what works best at the moment. My baby does not latch, so I give her the next best, which is EBM. When I have to be away from her and the chilled EBM runs out, we go to frozen EBM, which has a shelf life but is certainly not expired. Do you eat cod / salmon? If you do, you are eating flash frozen fish thawed when it reaches the market...also, frozen peas retain nutrients better than "fresh" peas by the time they arrive here, so it's not true as a blanket statement that frozen stuff is not as good as fresh foods. :)

bertrande

oh if that's the case, then what for pumping and letting them drink the bm after all the trouble?!
No lah, I think what the doc was saying is BM straight from the tap is always best. Chilled EBM loses some antibodies, and frozen and thawed EBM loses somemore. But even frozen and thawed EBM contains more antibodies than FM, which has none. So I guess when baby is sick, if possible to latch, the best is to latch? My baby doesn't latch so when she fell sick (she's 9.5 months now and is starting to fall sick since her immune system is trying to work on its own at the moment), I will express my milk and give it to her immediately, next best solution I guess.

B3b3

How long can we keep the EBM in the fridge?

Have tried to thaw frozen milk in fridge and keep there for 24hr, the milk has strong metallic smell and small particle. Is it spoiled?

diza

ya why do u give ur child "expired" milk. it's jus like those fozen food that u eat. not fresh at all...
Oh dear! I've been giving my darling son "expired" BM for 9 whole months!!! And i've been eating too many frozen food for countless years!!! What a joke! sw33tvanilla, I suggest u do more reading before giving comments that frozen EBM is "expired". Like what bertrande said, frozen EBM is still ok although direct latch is the best. But for working mommies, we can't possibly feed our babies while working right?? So frozen/chilled EBM is our next best option.

How long can we keep the EBM in the fridge?

Have tried to thaw frozen milk in fridge and keep there for 24hr, the milk has strong metallic smell and small particle. Is it spoiled?
It's not spoilt. If u use nursing bags, it's normal to have that weird smell. Just swirl the milk bag before putting in the feeding bottle. Another option to thaw milk faster is to put the bag under running tap water.
Anyway, frozen EBM can lasts up to 3 mths if u use those fridge with a separate freezer compartment.. If deep freezer, up to 6 mths.

Last edited:

B3b3

Thanks Diza for your reply. So the metallic smell is ok for bb to drink? Although bb is 1 month old, I think she still ok w it. After she grow bigger maybe will reject the milk. Anyone facing this problem?