Bumbo Sitter Recall

Mum2Matty

Serious Head Injuries Prompt Recall of Bumbo Baby Sitter Seats - New Warnings and Instructions to Be Provided To Consumers

NEWS from CPSC

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public AffairsWashington, DC 20207
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 25, 2007
Release #08-046Firm’s Recall Hotline: (877) 932-8626
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Serious Head Injuries Prompt Recall of Bumbo Baby Sitter Seats - New Warnings and Instructions to Be Provided To Consumers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Bumbo “Baby Sitter” Seats

Units: About 1 million

Manufacturer: Bumbo International, of South Africa

Hazard: If the seat is placed on a table, countertop, chair, or other elevated surface, young children can arch their backs, flip out of the Bumbo seat, and fall onto the floor, posing a risk of serious head injuries.

Incidents/Injuries: CPSC has received 28 reports of young children falling out of the Bumbo Baby Sitter seat, including three skull fractures, which occurred when children fell out of chairs that had been placed on tables.

Description: The bottom of the children’s seat is round and flat with a diameter of about 15 inches. It is constructed of a single piece of molded foam and comes in yellow, blue, purple, pink, aqua, and lime green. The seat has leg holes and seat back that wraps completely around the child. On the front of the seat in raised lettering is the word “Bumbo” with the image of an elephant on top. The bottom of the seat has the following words: “Manufactured by Bumbo South Africa Material: Polyurethane World Patent No. PCT: ZA/1999/00030.” The back of the seat contains the following “WARNING” – “Never use on a raised surface. Never use as a car seat or bath seat. Designed for floor level use only. Never leave your baby unattended as the seat is not designed to be totally restrictive and may not prevent release of your baby in the event of vigorous movement.”

Sold by: Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, USA Babies and various other toy and children’s stores nationwide, and various online sellers, from August 2003 through October 2007 for about $40.

Manufactured in: South Africa

Remedy: Consumers should never use the infant seat on a table, countertop, chair, or other elevated surface. Consumers can contact Bumbo to obtain new warning label stickers and instructions, free of charge. The new warning label will state: “WARNING – Prevent Falls; Never use on any elevated surface.” Consumers should use the Bumbo seat at ground level, but should never leave a child unattended.

Consumer Contact: Contact Bumbo International at (877) 932-8626 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s Web site at www.bumbosafety.com

[SIZE=-1]
---​
Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.
[/SIZE]

stonston

The website says it is NOT a recall of the product, only to add safety instructions to the seat to ensure proper usage.

My boi has been using this since he was 4mths old, no problems at all lei.

Mrs Xie

Hmm... feels like having one for my dd..... but think can't sit for long? Dunno can tahan till how old leh? And somemore, quite expensive too :shyxxx:

lisa_ng

Hmm... feels like having one for my dd..... but think can't sit for long? Dunno can tahan till how old leh? And somemore, quite expensive too :shyxxx:
my niece now coming to 11mos she very active can free herself when sitting in bumbo. for nikki her thighs are a little on the plump side so often get stuck when trying to carry her out. but one daddy told me it's good for training infant to sit on their own when they are able to sit up without support but same after a while they will free themselves when they learn how to crawl. the price i feel quite ex so i actually bought a preloved one. :)

caydendaddy

Alpha Male
The website says it is NOT a recall of the product, only to add safety instructions to the seat to ensure proper usage.

My boi has been using this since he was 4mths old, no problems at all lei.
I think it depend on your BB, my son don't like the seat, the moment he sits on it, he tried to get out, arching his back and whatever just to get out of the chair, so the potential for accident is there if left unsupervised.