Buying a high chair, any suggestions??

annie

i bought bumbo seat.. i feel its better cos its not high lol. i bought the extra table tat is to be attached to it as well n feed my girl there. just put theseat on the flr.. i feel safer la since its on the flr lol. unless u plan to eat together with bb on the dining table then high chair is better but if not, i think bumbo seat better

stonston

i personally dun like the ikea plastic one. too light n flimsy. my boy is very strong. he can make the whole chair topple!

i bought the ikea wood one. wide base so wont topple and it's heavy/sturdy. minus point is tt it dun hv tray, but i put it close to dining table so my boy uses the dining table instead :)

snowbear

I bought the combi one. I also have the bumbo seat but once the bb is more mobile, she'll just climb out of it so it's useless aft that...

shespice

I also have the bumbo seat which was given to me. Sometimes put baby in it coz was told it helps baby to learn to sit up. But i have a slight problem also coz my baby get restless and she will arch her back so much and i am just afraid she may topple off with the seat even though the bumbo is a low seat! then when the tray is fitted, she sometimes pull the tray out too! hahaha. she is now 5 months.

is the high chair at ikea the same as the white plastic one which they use in their restaurant? I find that one a bit unsafe coz i did try to let baby sit in in once although she can't sit upright on her own yet, but again when she tried to arch her back, the high chair moved and seems so unstable.....so better be careful.

oblong

i'm looking for a 母子椅 (made of cane). any mummies seen it before? my colleague told me he saw something similar in Joo Chiat. anyone knows?

Ottermum

thanks all...

I've heard alot about the Ikea plastic $29 one...think can't put my DS on it cos he's EXTREMELY HYPER...it'll definitely topple when he moves too much...

wonder if i buy the Ikea wood $99 one can i buy a tray to attach to it??

PD told us to buy one that's able to 'split' into 2...can stack up n be brought down, place on the floor kind...

bumbo's definitely not for him as he gets very restless n always struggling to get up whenever he's on his rocker...

if anybody knows where to get 母子椅 (cane rotatable chair) please let me know too...

thanks!!

oblong

ottermum, paiseh. tap on ur thread. u heard of the 母子椅 too? i used to sit on one, but spoil le. so desperately trying to get one now. cos my mum strongly fobids any form of high chairs :embarrassed:

Last edited:

autumn82

ottermum, paiseh. tap on ur thread. u heard of the 母子椅 too? i used to sit on one, but spoil le. so desperately trying to get one now. cos my mum strongly fobids any form of high chairs :embarrassed:
Darling, y ur mum forbids highchairs? I tot highchairs are good coz they tend to train children to develop properly eating habits like adults eating from dinning table? :err::err:

Too dangerous? Get those heavy ones?

annie

huh pull the tray out?? lol. my girl used to do that too IF i didnt fit the tray properly.. if fit properly she cant get it out. how to get it out whe the base of the tray is stuck into the seat?

climb out??? hmm... my girl hor... even i try to carry her out also very difficult cos her legs will get stuck to the chair.. she haven learn to climb yet so im not too sure if she can get out by herself but at the moment it seems not easy to get out wor. even when i carry her out i need to use my legs to hold the chair cos its stuck to her legs! lol.

the bumbo chair base so big will topple ma? my girl also often arch her back when on the chair but i dun think it will topple cos its very steady so i dun worry hehe. i jsut worry she will outgrow it soon. she can sit there whole day one lol. very convenient for me. i can do many things with her sitting in there. if not she sometimes very fussy... she only calm down when she is in the seat watching tv or my dog lol

shespice

ya hard to carry baby out from the bumbo seat, the legs get stuck LOL! so i also have to use my legs to hold the chair hahaha. but good lah, you girl can sit ther whole day lol. my cannot leh, she sit a while then arch her back and get cranky and make sound "eeeeeeee" then the bumbo seat start moving, that's why i am afraid she jerk back so hard she will topple LOL. she cannot climb out lah so maybe that's why she keep arching backward....so scared hurt her back :p.

Ottermum

no worries mate!!...i don't mind getting one too cos it's a very special chair isn't it??...reminds me of my growing up days!!

MIL says 'nowsadays' difficult to find already:embarrassed:

oblong

no worries mate!!...i don't mind getting one too cos it's a very special chair isn't it??...reminds me of my growing up days!!

MIL says 'nowsadays' difficult to find already:embarrassed:
yesh! it definitely brings back memories. seeing our lil ones using them is definitely a diff feeling

oblong

ya hard to carry baby out from the bumbo seat, the legs get stuck LOL! so i also have to use my legs to hold the chair hahaha. but good lah, you girl can sit ther whole day lol. my cannot leh, she sit a while then arch her back and get cranky and make sound "eeeeeeee" then the bumbo seat start moving, that's why i am afraid she jerk back so hard she will topple LOL. she cannot climb out lah so maybe that's why she keep arching backward....so scared hurt her back :p.
jeff looks like he is a super notti one. he arch his back, makes a lot of noise, 'finds gold on the floor' and now, climbs out of the bumbo seat already....... :wong29:

oblong

Darling, y ur mum forbids highchairs? I tot highchairs are good coz they tend to train children to develop properly eating habits like adults eating from dinning table? :err::err:

Too dangerous? Get those heavy ones?
aut dearie, mummy say high chairs will topple, regardless the base........ for my case it is very true, jeff super active, love to rock chairs he sits on..... so wat base, he will end up on the floor one........ so the 母子椅 the best le, low chair, wide seat......

Ottermum

aut dearie, mummy say high chairs will topple, regardless the base........ for my case it is very true, jeff super active, love to rock chairs he sits on..... so wat base, he will end up on the floor one........ so the 母子椅 the best le, low chair, wide seat......
my DS's also super duper active!!!!
whenever he's strapped on his rocker or stroller he'll do the Michael Jackson 'crotch catching' action...wanna get out!!! wah piang headache man...:elvis:

that's why how to buy bumbo seat?? actually thinking of getting a 2nd hand bumbo let him try if he doesn't like it i'll have to pass it down to my niece...

stonston

oblong, i dun tink u can find any boy more hyper than my son. at 4mths old, he learnt how to climb out of his bumbo seat. at 6mths, he can hold furniture and stand up to jump jump jump. at 8mths he can old furniture n walk. by 9mths, he learnt how to climb out from his playpen (mine is a very huge haenim play yard).

when we put him in high chair at ard 4-5 mths after he started to climb out of his bumbo, he will attempt to climb out of the high chair. he will purposely move to n fro to rock it and he will grab the table, pull n push himself. terrible boy i have. the plastic ikea one confirm will topple, but the wood one was very good. the base is very wide and it's heavy enough to not topple. my hb wanted to modify it by added a solid wood base to the high chair but end up dunnid cos it was solid enough.

now i'm still using the chair for my boy n he's 2yr 4mths le. even stronger n bigger size now, more fidgety. but the chair can still tahan him. quite a good investment. i bought it 3 yrs ago during ikea sale n it was going for $79 at tt time. i tink now it's $99.