can baby on total breastmilk drink plain water?

iwan2noe

Hi mummies,

Wondering if baby on total ebm can drink plain water?
one of the tak is that if they drink water, they may not want to take milk.

What is ur view or advices?

Thanks!

catherlyn

For me I do on n off feed dd some water cos the weather is my goodness HOT but I gv after her feed n in btw 2 feeds. Each time I only let her 3 mouthful n I will stop.

meiteoh

There is no need for baby on 100% BM to take in water. Reason being is that BM is already 80% water and if baby is thirsty, they'll latch on more frequently but in shorter duration to get more foremilk but not the rich hindmilk.

By introducing water, you may fill up your baby's tummy unnecessarily - a few spoons is a lot considering that a baby's tummy is only the size of their fist - and being full on water means they will not latch on frequently AND this in turn will impact your supply.

I've never given Eva water, even on hot days and only introduced it when she started solids. No worries about her not loving water. She drinks it like mad these days. :)

diymummy

I didn't feed my baby water when he was fully breastfed. In fact, I didn't feed him water until he turned 7 mths. But at that time, he started to hate water because he was never introduced to the taste. I think if I were to have #2, I might consider giving him/her some water, say, 5-10ml even when he/she is fully breastfed during the 3rd mth on or so.

The reason why feeding water is not encouraged is because sometimes water fills them up, decreasing the desire for milk, masking hunger. This wouldn't be very healthy for the kid if that happened. So if you do decide to feed water, do it after the milk feeds and in small amounts.

Another reason I read is abt how the kid's kidneys process water. You might want to go google that and read more abt it.

Verona's

When i total bf my girl that time i didn't give any but till i partial bf her , i gave her some not more than 30 ml but sometimes she reject to drink so i won't force her , I give because i see the milk stain on her tongue .. & other time i give is with gripe water but only when she haven poo for the day :) Oh yes i gave her some when her have hiccups ..

cmeilim

i am the same as meiteoh. ian nevery drank water nor had the need to drink water before being introduced semi-solids in his first 6 months, and he never had dehydration or constipation, no matter how hot it was. the water im my breastmilk was good enoough for him. i just nursed more frequently. and he loves drinking water now, no impact on him not liking water at all.

cmeilim

and this thing abt having to drink water to get rid of hiccups is not scientifically true either. i resisted giving water whenever ian hiccuped in his first few months. there is nothing wrong with having hiccups. it's just something natural to do with the diaphgram of babies, and they will outgrow it after a few months. hiccups are more unbearable for adults than for babies. just distract them with toys or prop them up and pat their backs lightly like burping them.

cmeilim

Agree about the hiccups thing. Quan is able to dose off while having hiccups, so amazing :D
haha, amazing indeed. but then again, babies started hving hiccups while they were inside our wombs already ( moms can usually feel it in their 3rd tri). so i am not surprised they are actually quite used to the contractions of their diaphgram. heehee....

I do gave my son 5ml of water in between feeds cos I had a friend who bf exclusively for 1 yr and nw her son hates water and doesn't drink at all. It very worrisome as bb alrdy started solids but not drinking water.

diymummy

I do gave my son 5ml of water in between feeds cos I had a friend who bf exclusively for 1 yr and now her son hates water and doesn't drink at all. It very worrisome as baby alrdy started solids but not drinking water.
Yes that's exactly like my son. He hates juice too. He just wants milk. -.-" I'm waiting for him to "kai qiao"