can fresh ebm mixed with chilled ebm

Rodorsany

Just wondering.... As my supply is pretty low Im pumping every 3hr.. Every pump is not enough to feed 1 feed.. At least 2 pumps then can feed bb..

I chilled all ebm.. Then when its time to feed her i will pour required amt heat up n feed. As my pumping time dun often clash with feeding time... Sometimes i do.. Can I just pour chilled into fresh ebm or feed with fresh ebm n heat up balance? As my girl cant wait.. So when its her feeding time n my pump time i will prepare 15mins in adv then heat up.. So while I pump my mil can feed...

I had nv try muxing.. But am wondering.. I do latch in e night.. Day time too taxing for me to latch

personally i did this before. i thought it will be for this feeding and any leftover if any i will discard. so i dont think there will be major problem.

but the same cannot be done for storing purpose. difficult to keep track which bottle are fresher since they are mixed.

andieluv2

U can mix them.as long as the temp.is the same. I try not to mix cold bm to warm bm As the temp plays a huge role to whether bacteria will grow in the milk or not. Wat.i.did the.other time was to alternate.my.feed with bm and fm whn my supply was loe last time. I.make.sure i havr enough bm.for her nxt meal then i mix and give. I think as long as both chilled it should be okay.

Last edited:
My expressed amounts are so pathetic if I store them all separately it would be ridiculous. I have added fresh EBM into chilled ones and so far for weeks my bb has no lau sai...should be ok I guess.

actually by right, should not mix ebm of diff temp like wat andieluv mentioned. why not try heating up the chilled EBM first then when it is warmed, mix with the freshly expressed milk? i think like tat is better than mixing fresh with chilled direct.

andieluv2

initially my amt of ebm is ridiculously little.too! so little till my mum has to use a spoon to feed my bb. but i dun care. i juz store in different bottle for the sake of my bb. i dun wanna take chance to any tummy upset especially in newborns...

Sorry, I don't understand .. Am curious too .. Is it okay to mix fresh and chilled ? Or maybe mix two ebm from different timings and feed ?

andieluv2

Honeyfiedcherry:725243 said:
Sorry, I don't understand .. Am curious too .. Is it okay to mix fresh and chilled ? Or maybe mix two ebm from different timings and feed ?
u can mix them as long as its same temp. avoid mixing chilled anf fresh bm tgt bcoz fresh bm is just.out of ur body so usually little bit warm where chilled bm is at least 4degrees. so best not to mix in this state. chill ur fresh bm awhile before.mixing is safer.

honeyfiedcherry,
if you are asking whether can u mix 2 different temp. for storage , then answer is better not.

but if you are talking about feeding immediately, by adding chilled milk to fresh expressed milk, it should be ok since u are feeding right away. but any excess left after feeding, must be discard. alternatively, u can warm the chilled milk and mix with the ebm milk

Hi all,

Thanks ! I think I got a rough view of it .. Bacteria grows on EBM pretty fast I heard, so warming the chilled milk and adding the fresh milk sounds less dangerous . If you have any ways you think can increase milk supply, do share !

Actually I still don't understand the logic not that I am not receptive to what you ladies are advising. You are advising but not explaining the reasons why it has to be like that. Can someone explain? I thought I read that breast milk is anti bacterial, you mean it can still grow bacteria even if there's no saliva introduced?

andieluv2

Mummy2TwoSoon:725442 said:
Actually I still don't understand the logic not that I am not receptive to what you ladies are advising. You are advising but not explaining the reasons why it has to be like that. Can someone explain? I thought I read that breast milk is anti bacterial, you mean it can still grow bacteria even if there's no saliva introduced?
bacteria can grow anywhere. esp on food that is left room temp. in singapore climate which is warm and moist, its a best condition for bacteria to grow. thou breast milk has antibodies. but it doesnt mean bacteria wont grow in it. prolly will grow slower. thats all. thus if its fm, cannot finish needs to discard immediately bcoz fm has no antibodies.

breastmilk is not anti bacteria. it contains antibodies which helps to fight viruses n bacteria. if there is improper handling of th milk (like nvr wash bott or sterilise it properlyy), bacteria will grow in the milk n multiply very fast. the antibody in the milk may not b able to fight the bacteria so whem baby take the milk, she also takes in the bacteria. the type of antibodies in our milk are dependent on wat virus/bact we r exposed to. so my milk n your milk will hv diff antibodies. tats why when you hv flu, u shd bf your baby also cos your body will prodyce the antibodies to fight the flu virus which your child is likely to get too.

Rodorsany

Actually my fren told me layering of ebm is ok like after pump then pour into e chilled one... Then she will pour n store into bags the total for e day. She dun store diff days. Henceforth ive been doing it since day 1. Milk pathetic if to split... Fridge no space also... Hmmmm so far bb growing well..

Btw my qn is more on when feeding... Like if got freshly pump can i mix with chilled to feed.. This i gotten e ans

Actually even if for storing, better to mix when the 2 pumps of milk are at same temp. For instance, I put milk pump at 1pm in fridge. Then put milk pump at 4 pm in fridge. Then, at 7pm, I mixed the 2 milk together. You can mix milk fr diff pumps within the day but try not to mix milk of diff temp. I think I read somewhere tat when u mix milk of diff temp, like one is at 4degc, the other at 28 deg c, you r subjecting your chilled milk to a temp diff cos its temp will rise a bit due to the 28deg c milk n then reduced back to 4 deg c. So it is not good cos may change the composition of the milk. I hv not tried mixing milk of diff temp before but I guess if u hv done it n nothing significant happened, shd b ok

Hi mummy2 !
If breast milk is anti bacterial, we can keep EBM for days without chilling ! Breast milk has more fats and no preservatives, it's like cow's milk; the fresher it is, the faster it expires .. It contains properties to help your child fight against bacteria . There's a reason why we have thermal bags and ice packs to keep EBM chilled after expressing .

I agree w Rachelle, I read an article where they stated that if you were to mix chilled and warm/newly expressed breast milk together, it affects the taste and somehow disturbs the good properties of the milk . U can mix warmed and newly expressed milk together tho .. But u're not to keep excess .

Jazz06

It should be ok to mix breast milk of the similiar temperature together and any balance should be thrown away. A very good way of increasing breast milk supply is, intake of more fluid, rest, less stress, frequent expressing n latch if possible. I've got my increase of breast milk when i did 3 hourly expression for at least 2-3 weeks. Now my boy is 3.5 months old, i'm expressing 4 times daily with a total volume of 1.4L per day. Those who dont't mind to feed your baby with my breast milk, i'm ok to give away. :)

felicity

Yes I also read from many articles not to mix bm of diff temp.. So even when my supply was pathetic I just pump n store them in milk bags n when I need to them I will thaw the few bags of 20 or 30ml together then pour them into a milk bottle to feed bb w... I read that mixing cold n warm milk spoils the property of the milk so it's better to warm cold one to room temp then mix when all at room temp?