Can I adopt my own baby in order to entitle to baby bonus?

daydreamer

Hi, I'm a single mom with a pair of twin boys, they are now 2.3 y.o. I saw on a website stating that I can adopt my own baby so that they can be entitle to baby bonus plus I can claim for tax rebate, I check with some lawyers but they are not aware of such, does any mom here have done that too? Another question is, my sons are starting to talk, soon they will ask me where is their dad, I do not want them to know who their dad is, any mom here able to share some advice?

Asphere

hmm hi, maybe check with the mcys? i guess they are in a better position to advise you? lawyers may not know i guess.

chairhugger

Hi,

Unfortunately, single mothers are not entitled to baby bonus and other benefits like childcare subsidies, maid subsidies etc. Not even maternity leave.

This sucks, I know. Unfortunately, many people in Singapore do not even know how marginalized single mothers are, by the system. More people need to know of it and single mothers need to receive equal benefits. After all, it is not fair to the children.

Amulet

yes, i heard of people who does it before.. If i'm not wrong, Ginny Phang from 4th Trimester did that for her son.. U may like to contact her on that..

daydreamer

Chairhugger, we are entitile to childcare subsidies, my sons are both in childcare now. Materity leave will be 2 months from employer but not the balance 2 from garment.

Amulet, I wrote to Ginny Phang before but her replied was not that she know of..... :(

daydreamer

Hi Chairhugger,
yes we are entitled to childcare subsidies, my sons are in childcare now, $300/mth subsidies each, as for maternity, only entitled to 2mths materity from employer, not the balance 2mths from garment.

daydreamer

yes and our boys still need to serve national service! we are working mums and we contribute and are tax payer too yet garment is not helping us but make our life even worst by not allowing tax rebate!

chairhugger

The entire obsession over "traditional families" is really hurting a lot of people. I salute all the single moms in Singapore! They work hard, pay taxes, get less maternity leave and benefits, no baby bonus, no tax rebate etc etc. The government wants more babies, shouldn't it start from supporting these women (or men, coz there are single dads too) who had babies even without incentives? *shakes head* Stupid policy.

MeliviaL

I agree. Government discriminating the rest because they are 'irresponsible' when it is not even the case in the first place!