Can i clean newborn nose and ear??

my baby seems to have dirt in the nose cos when he breathe can hear 'whezzing' sound.. how to clean it?? or can i clean it with cotton buds??

diymummy

Usually the nose dirt will fall out by itself. I try not to clean it unless affecting his breathing and drinking of milk. If it is sticky, I will use cotton bud to let the dirt stick to the bud then take it out. I try not to swipe the sides of his nose... Scared to damage the nose lining plus damage the nose hairs...

For ears, I will use wet cotton bud to clean outer ear. Inner ear I don't touch at all. Try to keep ears dry after baths to prevent possible ear infections.

My PD gave us some ear drops to clear ear wax when my boy was 6 mths.

chiro

maybe you can use baby tweezer to clean dirt found around the outer area of the nose.

Last edited:

Phoebii Cheng

I did not really clean my son's nose & ear when he was younger....till now too, just let it drop out itself for nose....for ear, can see the ear wax once in a while then clean it

Feliz

My dd also got nose dirt inside everytime n also got funny funny sound and my grandma will use those small cotton bud to dig out.. Den that time i bring dd for check up, i was given this eyes drop to drop inside dd nose but i haven start using it.. =p

for ear, i neve do anything.. my grandma will blow dd ear everytimr aft shower..

it seems like the dirt in the nose is affecting my baby's breathing ONLY when he's breastfeeding, can hear his breathing like very heavy and making wheezing sound.. i think the dirt sorta blocked his nose. i shall try to use wet cotton bud to clean but actually when i see his nose i don't see any dirt.. so confused..

Feliz

it seems like the dirt in the nose is affecting my baby's breathing ONLY when he's breastfeeding, can hear his breathing like very heavy and making wheezing sound.. i think the dirt sorta blocked his nose. i shall try to use wet cotton bud to clean but actually when i see his nose i dont't see any dirt.. so confused..
My dd also got sound when i breastfeed her.. no idea why also..:err:

shopaholic

For nose, I will use the cotton bud to stick it out. It shd be relatively easy. I do this when I can see something inside and it seems to be affecting his breathing.

For ear, I just use a wet towel to clean the outer area. Inner ear, I dont touch at all.

hakisumi

i use the slim cotton bud to clean the ear & nose..
sometimes nose use the round header tweezer..if got dirt inside..
ear: cotton bud dab abit of moisturiser and sweep gently along the loops.. never really go deep into the ear -hole-... everytime got bitz of yellow 1...

dirty boy~ lolz

diymummy

Hi Honeylicious and felzdown,

That time my baby also had like blocked nose but I don't see any nose dirt. That time my baby was also due for a PD visit and the PD gave me some nose drops to clear the nasal canal so that he can breathe more easily. He gave me 2 brands, one is Otrivin and the other is Illiadin. Both can be bought from pharmacies but it's best to clear it with your doctors before using it on your baby. He advised me that those drops cannot be used consecutively after 3 days.

If your babies are sleeping in air con rooms, it is more common. NB usually have this problem because their nasal canal is still developing and coping with all the new "stuff" in the air.

chelle

I try not to remove the dirt from his nose unless it very BIG and seems to be affecting his breathing. Most of the time, the nose will be cleared after bath.
But once for a few days consective, my BB nose keep having BIG mucus, i then on the air purifier in the room before his bedtime. Then nxt day, no more mucus! So i guess might be the air in the room, especially if he sleep in aircon.
As for the ear,i only clean the outer during bathe. The dirt in the ears will fall out by itself. Sometime i see them on the nappy which we use as his pillows.

my boy sleep in air con room, maybe that's why.. last night hubby tried to clean his nose using damp cotton bud but nothing came out so we decided to leave it and monitor for 1-2more days..