Can I continue to keep my dog?

Hihi, would like to hear you out if any of you continue or re-home your dog with your new born arrival? I have a jack russell for 6 years and i can't bear to re home him. However, hubby not very keen with the idea to keep it for the reason that he shed and fear that the barking (though he dooesn't bark frequent) will scare baby. I'm a strong advocate of pet for life and now stuck with the painful decision to re-home him if i can find a suitable new owner. My bb arriving next month. Thanks for your sharing in advance.

pepperphibs

Hi,

My baby is almost 3 mths old now and i've got 3 miniature schnauzers at home. Before baby arrived, i was also pressured by my parents to rehome them. How to? They are like my kids. In the end i told my dad that i'll keep the dogs and he can have the baby! haha! Then they finally gave up.

More importantly, the dogs are ok with my baby although i do not let them run around her as she is still so young. And Kayla has gotten used to the barking although she did get shocked intially in the first 2 weeks or so.

If you end up keeping the dog, bring a towel to the hospital to put in the baby crib to absorb the baby smell. Its to give to your dog as a intro to the baby. When you get discharged, let someone else carry the baby when you reach home and be sure to 'sayang' your dog so he will not be jealous.

A colleague taught this to me and it seems to work.

Hope this helps! And hope you get to keep your dear one.

oh pls dont give your dog away.... give him/ her a chance.. i have a poodle at home and my due date is 1st feb. we've never ever thought of giving her away and will never do so! babies are precious and may get startled easily but sooner or later they'll get used to it.. moreover they grow up "fast" and doggy will be their playmate in a way! try to think of it in a positive way? pls pls pls try not to rehome ur doggy :thissyfit:

pkshl

Hi, pls dun rehome yr doggie. i feel that its quite unfair to him. ive a coming 4yrs old chihuahua. fortunately shes very guai & does not disturb my boy at all, in fact now my boy even tries to grab her, turn out my chihuahua will tend to avoid my boy haha... my hubby is not a pet lover but he's ok with my wawa cos im the 1 who takes care of her although sometimes he will nag that sofa got her fur or dirty, but no issue la, cos i shave my wawa mthly :) or he will nag abt my dog this & that but i ignore his comments since im the 1 who is looking after my dog. Funny thing is some people always ask me how do i cope with a dog & baby at home, i juz reply my dog is more guai den my boy heehee

since u r gg to deliver soon, y not ask someone to look after yr dog during yr confinement period? thats what i did, but my wawa got fever cos she was home sick, endup i brought her home after 3wks cos i miss her badly. shes also my baby & dogs ve feelings too, can u imagine if u were to rehome him how will he feel? he will b very sad cos he only has u.

y not ve a discussion with yr hubby ?

hi.. i have a shih tzu.. she still always bark at strangers..super loud
but it's alright.. wake up once in awhile have..
but ok de.. funny still, she like to see the dog, sayang the dog and chase the dog.. and my dog scare of her..

Ting

i think u shldnt rehome your dog. its quite unfair to your dog also. they hv feelings too.
just try to make appropriate arrangements, it shld be ok, since it doesnt bark so often.
my cousin has two dogs at home too. b4 his wife got preg, they were like their children, n after their girl was born, their girl also loved the dogs.
n the dogs adore the lil baby..
n his dogs r those super furry kind.. u know, from far u see is like a fur ball with legs!they just make sure they bathe n clean them weekly, n keep the hse clean..
n also my parents used to hv 2 dogs n 5 puppies for a period of time when my elder sis was young n when i was a baby..
it was only subsequently when the pups got bigger then my parents rehomed them as our hse was too small to accomodate so many pets.

Last edited:

ph0702

I've got Charcoal (a schnauzer) wif me even before my gal is born. I remember when I 1st bought my baby home, I sort of "introduce" her to charcoal by talking to ...haha ...yes the dog and letting charcoal stiff her (of course with my supervision). There after, believe it, charcoal kinda plays the part of "nanny", always staying close to my gal in vacinity...under her cot etc etc... Charcoal will alert me when my BB wakes up, Charcoal will stand alert when my friends visit and carry my gal. I even caught him once moving very fast quietly to my gal when she is sleepling and plant a "kiss" on her cheek before moving off to lay somewhere near her :001_302:. My gal is now nearing 3 and believe me, they have been good pals!

I've got Charcoal (a schnauzer) with me even before my gal is born. I remember when I 1st bought my baby home, I sort of "introduce" her to charcoal by talking to ...haha ...yes the dog and letting charcoal stiff her (of course with my supervision). There after, believe it, charcoal kinda plays the part of "nanny", always staying close to my gal in vacinity...under her cot etc etc... Charcoal will alert me when my baby wakes up, Charcoal will stand alert when my friends visit and carry my gal. I even caught him once moving very fast quietly to my gal when she is sleepling and plant a "kiss" on her cheek before moving off to lay somewhere near her :001_302:. My gal is now nearing 3 and believe me, they have been good pals!
hahaha i hope my poodle will behave like that too! more "stars" for the love of doggies now! :Dancing_wub::Dancing_wub::Dancing_wub:

uddermummy

i have a big dog, a retriever, and a 9-mth old girl at home.

It's v tiring, cos it's like taking care of 2 bbs. :p

My girl sometimes get startled by my dog's bark, and will look at me for assurance. I'll just smile at her, and say, "That's a doggie. Doggie is barking because she is excited and wants to play with you."

Now my girl is used to my dog, and vice versa, and gets v excited when she sees my dog. In fact, her first words are 'dog', and 'woofwoof'!:tlaugh:

Hihi, would like to hear you out if any of you continue or re-home your dog with your new born arrival? I have a jack russell for 6 years and i can't bear to re home him. However, hubby not very keen with the idea to keep it for the reason that he shed and fear that the barking (though he dooesn't bark frequent) will scare baby. I'm a strong advocate of pet for life and now stuck with the painful decision to re-home him if i can find a suitable new owner. My baby arriving next month. Thanks for your sharing in advance.

I have 2 maltese at home a boy and a girl. They were my best mates when I'm home alone. Like some of the mums here, I was pressured by my parents, my MIL to give up the dogs. Parents say the dogs are troublesome, while my MIL, just scared of them. Worst still, Hubby too wanted me to isolate them in a room.

With so many objections, the best way to assure them is to restrict the dogs from nearing the baby when it just return home.

I've seen a baby girl grow up with 2 mid mongrels in a 4 rm flat. Every night, they including the 8 month old girl will bring the 2 dogs down for a walk.

The other main thing is to keep the house especially clean. If they say about the Odor/ bacteria in the air. Just get a bio-gradable air purifier less than $200 should be able to get it already.

My dogs love me as much as I love them. I can't imagine my life with them, and of course with the our new baby..

:Dancing_tongue:

hakisumi

At least all mummies dogs are pure breed dogs..mine are 2 stray dogs but my pil also nv give away..when we came home,the dogs seems to know..they are very excited and nvr bark..den when Graham slp..they bark he also zzzzzz..used to it le pah..pets they ll slowly get used to it de pah..not to mention my pil also have a cat but she abit jealous..she just stay outside my pil room dunwan to go in when baby is inside..lol
IMO..dun rehome them..unless ur dog very aggressive to baby (rather unlikely)
existing pets are ok but definietly not buy new one..

pkshl

At least all mummies dogs are pure breed dogs..mine are 2 stray dogs but my parent in law also never give away..when we came home,the dogs seems to know..they are very excited and never bark..then when Graham sleep..they bark he also zzzzzz..used to it pah..pets they ll slowly get used to it pah..not to mention my parent in law also have a cat but she abit jealous..she just stay outside my parent in law room dunwan to go in when baby is inside..lol
IMO..dont rehome them..unless your dog very aggressive to baby (rather unlikely)
existing pets are ok but definietly not buy new one..
agreed.existing pets are definately ok, furthermore yr JRT has been with u for 6yrs, more or less u should know his behaviour/character.

apollo

i personally dun hav a dog but my fren does. she didnt send her dog away. in fact her dog used to slp with her son, now 4yrs old alrdy.. it will help to 'look aft' the baby, slp beside him, play with him...

let ur baby have contact with the dog since born and ur baby will get used to the dog v fast lik how they get used to us. just be careful at 1st, make sure ur dog dun hurt ur baby will do =)

wow... thanks all for your sharing... tot i've lost this thread!
hubby is very concern about the shedding issue and i'm trying hard to convince him! cruel indeed to rehome my JS.

uddermummy

if you're worried about the shedding, send your dog to the groomers monthly, and brush through his coat daily.

The shedding is a problem for me, but i just close one eye and try to get rid of the clumps of hair as much as i can.

stonston

Shedding is not a problem!

You can send for grooming & a good groomer will actually brush off the shedding coat well enough to minimise shedding.

Try to brush on your own daily (I do this outside the house to minimise fur at home).
Vacuum on daily basis (just get a cheap vaccum also can).

My dog is confined in the kitchen when we are not home cos my dog is big sized and sometimes when they play, she forgets her strength and can be quite rough. We only allow close contact with adult supervision. Maybe you can compromise & convince your hb about this. Confine dog to a certain area until your baby is older (when can crawl?).

My dog has the kitchen plus service yard to herself. Not alot of space but she get 2 long walks a day (once in morning, once at night). Usually she'll just sleep when she's in the kitchen and come out to play when we are home.

paull

sigh, i have a schnauzer who stays and sleep in the room with us before baby is born..
i'm staying with my bro in law's family, and we sort of rent a room frm them..now with baby, we used their study room as the baby's room..
but now, they need the room back, so we've to send my dog away for adoption as baby will stay with us in the room..
they dont allow us to put our dog outside the room, and we cant place our dog and baby together in the room also..space is also a problem..
sigh how..i really dont bear to send my dog away, or at least, hope can find a good adoptor..but so far, no suitable adoptors yet..

Gelyn

Don't have to re-home your dog, just confined in the kitchen. My son also will chase after my dog...I think its my dog who is scare of him. haha...

I have seen small kids got scare and cry when they see dog/ puppy, so I guess its good to expose them to animal when they are young.

Paull: it will be good if some of your friends who like dog,have dogs at home and don't mind to help you to take care till you get your own place.

My friend got complained by her neighbour though her golden retriever don't bark often but becos she is staying at a HDB. End up, one of her friends ofter to help her to look after her golden. No choice and no way she is going to give up her dog, hence thats her arrangement.