Checking of dilation

iwan2noe

Hi dear all,

I would like to know if your gynae check for your dilation when u are nearing to your delivery date, at his/her clinic when u go for ur routine check?

Or rather, do u still remb what s/he check for you during the last or last few times b4 u are due for delivery.

Expecting to have my bb born in a couple of weeks so is quite anxious and need to find out... hehe

thanks!

hi..

My gynae did check for dilation during my last month check... but I heard that not all gynae does that..

err... quite painful leh... when he check for dilation..
didn't expect that painful...
I scream so loud (**so embarrass**) bec i didn't know it's painful...
Hope i didn't scare you..
Just to let u know and be prepared.. not like me the other time!!
hehehe..

Porukadotzu

my gynae never check for dialation even when i was at my 39th week and still no sign bb out, they just do the usg scan and see wether bb is breech position.

only the nurse at delivery ward checking for dialation when i was admitted b4 delivery, it was quite pain well maybe coz i was in pain already hehe..

iwan2noe

hi..

My gynae did check for dilation during my last month check... but I heard that not all gynae does that..

err... quite painful ... when he check for dilation..
didn't expect that painful...
I scream so loud (**so embarrass**) bec i didn't know it's painful...
Hope i didn't scare you..
Just to let you know and be prepared.. not like me the other time!!
hehehe..
Hi Janice,

i think it is so embarrassed hor to let ur gynae check for ur dilation when u got it so unexpected... do u remb how long is it?

iwan2noe

dear all,

Does anyone know if Dr Lawrence Ang from Thomson Women's Clinic @ Sunplaza do checking of dilation for his soon to be due mummies check for dilation?

thanks!!:err:

Last edited:

sunburst

Gyane only check my dilation on my checkup just before I was due... not sure why some mummies say that it hurts but I didn't feel any pain at all. My gynae just told me to relax and take a deep breathes when she did the checking. She also sent me up to the observation ward for monitoring of contractions and bb's movements... I had to lie there for about 30mins then with the strip of paper went down to see her again.

Hi Janice,

i think it is so embarrassed to let your gynae check for your dilation when you got it so unexpected... do you remb how long is it?

oh, very fast one... it's just that for me, i didn't know of this concept of "checking for dilation". No one told me before and i just got inform by my gynae on the spot! Maybe bec when he checked for dilation on the 1st time, I'm only 1/2 cm dilated and that's why it's painful... the 2nd time and 3rd time not so pain already bec the dilation is bigger already... Yeah, I think taking a deep breath will help.... I think... Will do that for my 2nd one.. :)

http://www.pregnology.com

iwan2noe

Gyane only check my dilation on my checkup just before I was due... not sure why some mummies say that it hurts but I didn't feel any pain at all. My gynae just told me to relax and take a deep breathes when she did the checking. She also sent me up to the observation ward for monitoring of contractions and baby's movements... I had to lie there for about 30mins then with the strip of paper went down to see her again.
Thanks alot sunburst :)
So i assume ur checkup is in the hospital which u were gg to deliver then, coz u mention abt the observation ward?

Hmm, ok, now I get a better understanding le.. hee..
thanks so much!:red:

iwan2noe

oh, very fast one... it's just that for me, i didn't know of this concept of "checking for dilation". No one told me before and i just got inform by my gynae on the spot! Maybe bec when he checked for dilation on the 1st time, I'm only 1/2 cm dilated and that's why it's painful... the 2nd time and 3rd time not so pain already bec the dilation is bigger already... Yeah, I think taking a deep breath will help.... I think... Will do that for my 2nd one.. :)

http://www.pregnology.com

hi janice chia sanchez, i also do not know abt the checking of dilatiion thingy until i read some post of checking dilation so i just post this thread to ask lor.. heh:001_302:

drmoomoo

Hi dear all,

I would like to know if your gynae check for your dilation when you are nearing to your delivery date, at his/her clinic when you go for your routine check?

Or rather, do you still remb what s/he check for you during the last or last few times before you are due for delivery.

Expecting to have my baby born in a couple of weeks so is quite anxious and need to find out... hehe

thanks!
Hi, my gynae checked for my dilation once at the last month, at 39 weeks. It was a very short check. Just relax and breathe slowly when the gynae is going to check then there will be less/no pain. Not very painful. Don't worry. Juz think that soon you are going to meet your lovely baby :wong19:and the check is over! :Dancing_wub:

iwan2noe

Hi, my gynae checked for my dilation once at the last month, at 39 weeks. It was a very short check. Just relax and breathe slowly when the gynae is going to check then there will be less/no pain. Not very painful. dont't worry. just think that soon you are going to meet your lovely baby :wong19:and the check is over! :Dancing_wub:
hee, ok drmoomoo! thanks for sharing with me...

a side track from here.. Anyone is with Dr Lawrence Ang? If so, does he do the check for dilation?

Thanks!!!

Raina

My gynae did not mention anything about checking for dilation, he only mentioned that, during my next appointment, which is in 2 weeks time and if I'm experiencing pain, then he will do vaginal examination.. is that the same as checking for dilation?

How exactly is the procedure like if u mummies dun mind sharing?

Thanks.

stonston

My gynae only checked me at 37 weeks appt because he saw from the ultrasound that my boy was very low and my cervix was thin already (sign that may deliver soon).

It was entirely painless, only slightly uncomfortable.

My gynae gave me warning about what he'll be doing. Asked me to relax, else it'll be more painful.

He was very gentle and it was only mild discomfort (no pain). I was 2cm dilated already.

Waterbag broke 2 days after that appt and when admitted to hospital, the checks by the mid-wives were fast & painless (I was in no pain at all cos contractions have not started at all).

I think most impt is how gentle your gynae is (that's why I choose gynaes who have lesser patients cos they won't be rushing during your appt) and how relaxed you are.

Don't worry, your gynae's finger can be bigger than your hb's penis, so you'll roughly know how it feels :p

MomoMummy

dear all,

Does anyone know if Dr Lawrence Ang from Thomson Women's Clinic @ Sunplaza do checking of dilation for his soon to be due mummies check for dilation?

thanks!!:err:

dr ang did check me for dilation.. think when im about 36th week he check whenever i come for weekly checkup till b4 delivery... seriously phobia.:eek:

checking of dilation is first he put some lubricant on his 2 or 3 fingers and then inserting into your vagina deep in..

to me is damn pain.. the first time i cried. nurse ask my hubby hold my hand first b4 check dilation.. like the nurses say im not relax. got blood come out nurse say normal.

2nd time was fast.. prepared and relax.. i tht ok thats it no pain. but after that he ask me up to the bed again and this time he REALLY insert his whole 2 fingers up damn deep.. i was screaming and squeezing my hubby hand.. when i go toilet there is full of blood..

before i gave birth, dr ang insert HIS WHOLE HAND in.. hubby saw and i was damn (#**#)%)# pain.. i was in pain for abt 4 hours due to that pain and also contractions.. probably cos my cervix cant open n he already induced me 1 tablet. in the end still cant open and have to go thru c -sect.

yah like janice mummy said didnt want to scare u but muz be prepared and also wear pad cos will have bleeding after that.

Last edited:

Raina

Gulp!... checking for dilation can be that painful...oh dear :beek:

Am sure the birth itself will be worse... :(