Childcare centre

saikid

Hi friends,
I'm a mother of 20 months old boy. I am looking after him for the past 20 months. Now I am going to work full time in Somerset area. I am thinking of putting my son to a Childcare. Can you suggest me whether to put my ds to childcare close to my work place or near my block?
Do u know any childcare around Somerset/ Ang Mo Kio area?

:-/ Please help…

Thanks a lot....

littlehelper

Ang mo kio
-My first skool (Many many locations)
-Presbyterian Community Services(Quite good)
-Little skool house( Seems like there are bad comments about the one at the HUB)

Ang mo kio there are many.See which area you live in if you want one near your block..

saikid

Thanks littlehelper for your great help... I have been to Little skool house... But no idea whether it is good or not... I will be going to visit the other places this week...
I am supposed to work till 5.45 P.M. In this case, which is best? i.e,choosing a childcare close to office or near my block...
Please advice
Thanks a bunch...

diymummy

Hi saikid,

You can go to the MCYS website and do a search for child care centres. :) I found my boy's infant care by doing a search there.

Somerset area might be a little challenging but they do have a number at Raffles Place area.

Phoebii Cheng

It's your choice of whether to put your child in cc near your house or work place...most importantly is convenient to you & ur hubby, just in case you cannot fetch your child on time, someone can help you with the fetching or if your son suddenly not feeling well at cc, then u need to fetch them home.....

Most importantly is to look for a good cc, go there during their operations hour and see how the teachers treat the children, stay as long as you want I m sure the principal would not mind. There was one cc tht I went to, and the teachers treated the children very roughly in front of me, a parent & the whole place is not very well organized even during the bathing time, the bath area there is no floor mat....

So choose your cc carefully

CanCanMum

Hi friends,
I'm a mother of 20 months old boy. I am looking after him for the past 20 months. Now I am going to work full time in Somerset area. I am thinking of putting my son to a Childcare. Can you suggest me whether to put my dear son to childcare close to my work place or near my block?
Do you know any childcare around Somerset/ Ang Mo Kio area?

:-/ Please help…

Thanks a lot....
if the nature of yr work does not allow u to leave on the dot most of the time, its beta to put bb at a CC near yr workplace, coz they close at 7pm.

if u r able to leave by say 6pm (assuming u work from 9-6) den its ok to leave bb at CC near yr home, allowing for travelling time from workplace to CC to reach there at 7pm.

lonerjas

Hmm for 20mths old lesson not so impt so if u got drive or sm1 drive u to work then oput near workplace better, in case anything u are just nearby.

For older kids from N1 onwards lesson are rather impt so u may wanna put ur baby near home de CCC if u need to work week end off week days so during off days when u don go work, u baby can still go school cos is nearby.

littlehelper

Not many child care centers in sommerset but there are quite ex ones in orchard..
Unless you can consider other areas such as places you drive past when going to work.

Yeah agree with phobiee. Teachers are very important.The teachers are the one who set the standards of the center don't go by "brand names"

lonerjas

Not many child care centers in sommerset but there are quite ex ones in orchard..
Unless you can consider other areas such as places you drive past when going to work.

Yeah agree with phobiee. Teachers are very important.The teachers are the one who set the standards of the center dont't go by "brand names"
ya lor...

there is tis childcare centre at Prince edward st ( behind SIm lim SQ ) there's a Life childcare centre, is a church lor. Charges is consider cheap in town area. I used to out my son there when he was younger cos hubby works in Sim Lim. Their charges is same as neighbourhood but not sure if they increase lor since last yr.

saikid

Thanks Phoebii Cheng , CanCanMum, lonerjas , littlehelper & lonerjas for all the valuable information. As a first time mother, I feel a bit difficult to decide on the available options...
I have visited around 5 child care centres. since my hubby is working in Orchard area, I thought it is better if I could find a ccc in Orchard/ Somerset, so that we will be able to go & check our ds when ever possible.
but still not decided... I Have to take a decision quickly, as I have only 3 weeks time.

Thanks again to all of you...

snowbear

Thanks littlehelper for your great help... I have been to Little skool house... But no idea whether it is good or not... I will be going to visit the other places this week...
I am supposed to work till 5.45 P.M. In this case, which is best? i.e,choosing a childcare close to office or near my block...
Please advice
Thanks a bunch...
Hmm, i personally think it's better to opt for a cc near your workplace or hubby's so that in the event of an emergency, you can reach your kiddo asap. If someone can help you pick up your child from a cc near your blk then you can consider putting your child there. Otherwise, cc near workplace wld be a better alternative.

CJmom

I wud say choose a childcare that is near your house simply because job is uncertain these days and you will not want to change cc because of job change right?

Furthermore, on days when you are not going to work (e.g. work from home, sick, on leave to rest at home, etc), you can still put your son in school while you do your work/rest and pop by anytime to check on him. Imagine if you are sick and your son's cc is at your workplace.

Also another reason is on Sat, most cc have 1/2 day. And you can put your son there while you run errands or do some quick housework?

mummy85

Ang mo kio
-My first skool (Many many locations)
-Presbyterian Community Services(Quite good)
-Little skool house( Seems like there are bad comments about the one at the HUB)

Ang mo kio there are many.See which area you live in if you want one near your block..
ooh i'm planing to send my 19 mth old son there ! care to share wat r e bad comments r .. do pm me thou ..

mummy85

can anyone enlighten me .. a friend of mine says that its ok to send a baby of 18 mths old to childcare even though e baby still in his baby talks .. mom says she don't think its possible .. as teachers n pupils interact with words n not baby talks ..

camom

Technically it's ok if toddler can walk steadily cos children tend to be a rough and if toddler is not steady on his/her feet, a slight accidental push might cause alot of injuries.

CanCanMum

can anyone enlighten me .. a friend of mine says that its ok to send a baby of 18 mths old to childcare even though e baby still in his baby talks .. mom says she dont't think its possible .. as teachers n pupils interact with words n not baby talks ..
All childcare centres accept children as young as 18 months old as far as i know of

u may only worry about whether your child is being bullied by older kids. This is becoz when they are still unable to talk/express themselves chances of knowing whether therez any bullies in the class or who bullied who is lower as your child cannot answer u in words if u ask him/her. Unless u r able to accompany your child in class for the first few days for the trial session etc. But in terms of "conversing" and understanding wad teachers are talking i believe they do not have any problems with that. At the same time childcare teachers are trained to handle kids who has not yet mastered talking (18 to 30months)

good thing is your child will learn how to interact with kids of their same age and become more sociable and not afraid of strangers.

Ting

can anyone enlighten me .. a friend of mine says that its ok to send a baby of 18 mths old to childcare even though e baby still in his baby talks .. mom says she dont't think its possible .. as teachers n pupils interact with words n not baby talks ..
agree with CCM, the teachers will know how to communicate with the kids.
basically, as long your son can answer yes n no (nod/shake head) i think its gd enough.
so check the ratio of kids in the CCC u wanna enrol in, if the ratio is lower, chances of ur child being "bullied" is lesser as the teachers hv a tighter watch over a smaller grp of children.
but i think, if im not wrong, most CC hv the same concept whereby children of the same ages r in the same classes, so u dun hv to worry too much abt older kids bullying the younger ones.

ie, pin's sch has junior toddler, senior toddler, jr N1, sr N1, then is K1 n K2.

mummy85

thanks CCM and Ting .. Much appreciated .. I wanna send my kid to school early so he will mix ard wif kids his own age and actually learn more .. Thanks !