Clearing Ear Wax - Best and Safest Method?

CanCanMum

My 3 year old has some build up of ear wax, wonder wats the best way to clear it? Read from web that using cotton buds will just make it worse by pushing them further in.

Any other methods available? Or should i just leave it alone? Will it build up to the extend that he cannot hear properly????

veronica

Can buy ear drop (you can ask ur PD).

My PD prescribed one for my son before. He said the drop will soften the wax and then come out.

But think must use for 1 week. We always forget so only ON and OFF we used. So far didnt see any result yet :p

CanCanMum

is yr child afraid to use the ear drop - like does it feel cold/funny feeling in the ear or anything like that? Or it just feels cold and soothing?

heehee, thanks for sharing

pokemon97

i've ever heard in a tv programme that normally it will drop automatically unless it's really serious then need to consult a doctor.

LayKwan

try ear drop. if it doesn;t work and you suspect there is a infection or hearing problem, then better visit PD.

strawberry

You can go to kiddy Palace to buy those ear cleaning stick. It has light on it and you will be able to see the inside of your baby's ear very clearly.

veronica

My hb tried to dig before. Some can come out some can't. Its tickling feeling and my son likes it.. hahaha

akiva

1) ask pharmacy what medication to use

2) if it too much, dun do yrself. Go to a doctor.
When my son was younger, he has this problem and the doctor
poured in medicated oil and let the wax float out. He has a lump floated
out, the size of half peanut.

Earwax | Teens First for Health
Earwax

The glands inside your ear canal produce earwax, which stops dust and other particles getting inside your ear and causing problems. Normally your ears clean themselves. Any excess wax naturally moves to your outer ear, which is then removed when you wash your hair and face. If you use cotton buds or other objects to remove the wax, be warned, as it actually stimulates the glands and makes them produce more!
Using cotton buds can also push the wax further down inside your ear. Over time, it can harden and may even block the ear canal completely. Often the first sign of this is if you feel like you are going deaf in one ear.

Treatment

You can treat most cases of wax blockage at home using simple techniques, unless you have already damaged or perforated your eardrum. Ask your parent or guardian to warm up some olive oil to body temperature (so it feels neither hot or cold), and pour it very carefully into your ear and then leave it to drain away. This can soften the wax so it falls out. You can also buy various kinds of eardrops from a chemist without a prescription.
If these methods don’t work, or your ear becomes painful or oozes, you should visit your doctor. She/he may be able to remove the wax using stronger eardrops, washing or scraping out the earwax or using suction to clear it away.
Once the hardened earwax has been removed, most people’s hearing will return to normal. However, it will come back if you continue to use cotton buds to clean your ears. It is much better to only clean the outside part of your ears with a towel, and leave the ear canal to dry naturally.
For more help and information

If you would like to know more about earwax, please ask your doctor

amylqf

You can go to kiddy Palace to buy those ear cleaning stick. It has light on it and you will be able to see the inside of your baby's ear very clearly.
yes, I use this too. with the light, can see better.
last time, the doctor is also using magnify glasses and tools to get ear wax out.

CanCanMum

thanks all babes,

but just being curious....

do your kid lie down silently for the doc to do the clearing? Will he fuss? Or need to distract him??? My son is too old to use distraction methods le....he knows everything....

me just not able to get the wax out....so tink let doc do it beta..

estherlin

sorry i have another question, wat abt the dirt around the inner ear??? hmmm used lotion to clean but couldnt....if use nails will scratch him...worries