Clueless about babysitters

meiteoh

This is sort of a rush - I need to meet a recruiter this Thursday and is exploring the option of leaving Eva with a babysitter for a few hours. If all goes well, I might even decide to hire the person full time.

The thing is this - I have absolutely no idea what I have to do prior to sending Eva to the babysitter.

Yes, make a few phone calls and such but should I demand to see the place first and such? Feel so clueless...my mum thinks I'm naive by assuming that from a phone call, I can tell if a person can take good care of my daughter or not.

Any advice?

autumn82

This is sort of a rush - I need to meet a recruiter this Thursday and is exploring the option of leaving Eva with a babysitter for a few hours. If all goes well, I might even decide to hire the person full time.

The thing is this - I have absolutely no idea what I have to do prior to sending Eva to the babysitter.

Yes, make a few phone calls and such but should I demand to see the place first and such? Feel so clueless...my mum thinks I'm naive by assuming that from a phone call, I can tell if a person can take good care of my daughter or not.

Any advice?
For myself, I went down to the nanny's place to check if it's clean and if there are dangerous items lying around, messy, how many family members around, any other children/babies, place for baby to sleep, etc b4 I confirm her. She has to LOOK clean as well.. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

i left my son 3mths + with babysitter full time since last week as i have gone back to work. u need to check if ur babysitter know how to give yr baby breastmilk if u r expressing out and bottle feeding it, if u r formula feeding, make sure babysitter know how many scopes to use, check where yr baby will be sleeping in the afternoon, if ur baby is awake, is there a cradle for him/her to sit? where and how will the babysitter bath yr baby? i brought my son to babysitter 1 week before i left him there, let the babysitter carried him and my son did not cry, so i guess he is comfortable with the babysitter. and if babysitter has sterlizer and baby accessories, if not then wat u need to provide to the babysitter.

but i am now looking for another babysitter bcoz the 1 who i hired now is already looking at 2yrs old boy and my son is the 2nd 1, felt she not devoted to my son, so wan to look for 1-1 or maybe last resort infant care.

kitty

Any advice?
You must view her house,make sure no pets around or smokers too.You can do spot check if you confirm leaving your BB with her.It's better to find someone with grown up kids so that your BB has her full attention

Ting

yeah maybe pop by unexpectedly in case she purposely clean up the hse nicely just for u.
maybe u can check other threads to see recommendations by other mummies.

meiteoh

Forgot to update this thread but anyway, I'm going to meet two babysitters tomorrow. One is taking care of a 4 year old girl but she's usually in a nursery for a few hours. Another will only take care of my daugther. Will take note of all the things like where they bath/change her, play with her, feed her and so forth.

Do you think I can get them to take care of Eva for two hours or so as a trial (naturally, I'm willing to pay for it)wr before really confirming them? That way, my hubby don't have to keep taking leave (to take care of Eva so that I can go for interviews).

Pamper

in addition, u may wan to let them know whether u allow them to bring baby out or not.. some may want to go out for errands or meet friends.. like my mother she don like babysitters to bring baby out cos she don feel safe.. but as for me, im okay..

and also wat can eat can use or wat not to.. like gripe water, glucose, vicks n etc..

meiteoh

Thanks ladies! I managed to get a babysitter for Eva - around my mum's age with 22 years of experience and everything fits our bill and such. She'll be watching Eva for a few hours on Monday, after which hopefully I'll get some good news as to when I'll be starting work. So am quite happy, even though she's in Simei and I'm on the Kaki Bukit side. :)