Colic in the breastfed baby

sasha10

Does any breastfeed mummy here experience collic in your baby?
my baby is 8 weeks old now..and i start to notice she will cry and cry on at particular hour and nothing i can do to console her.
Went to PD and he said my baby might get a collic.

went to search at internet to find out the reason breastfeed baby get a collic. some info from here:
Colic in the Breastfed Baby

so now I try to breastfeed my baby on one breast only until she emptying off..but at night time..she will be very lazy..only latch one side..then sleep..then wake up again 1- 1.5 hour later to be feed. Its really tiring for me.
Before that she has already sleep at least 3-4 hours at night time before the next feeding. But since i have make sure she must finish all the hintmilk before i offer another breast..she only latch one breast that i offer..and refuse to take another breast and fell asleep instead..haizz..

anyone have experience this before?
how to cope with the collic baby?

Humpty

Maybe you can try gripe water? My baby has he same problem. When the colic is really bad and he is in great discomfort, a teaspoonful of gripe water gets him back to normal. We have tried the Ruyi oil as well but its not so effective.

Humpty

Oh, forgot to add: We consulted the doctor about his colic and he suggested letting him lie on his tummy to sleep in the day (must be supervised) and on his side at night. Tried the tummy part and he does sleep more comfortably. But have not been successful keeping him to his side at night though.

sasha10

Thanks a lot Humpty,
i am giving her rid wind right now..is it the same with gripe water?
is baby of 8 weeks able to take gripe water already?

i tried to do tummy sleep in the day time too..yes it does make her sleep better..but can't do for too long. usuually after 1.5 hour i will put her back to her back.

Oh, forgot to add: We consulted the doctor about his colic and he suggested letting him lie on his tummy to sleep in the day (must be supervised) and on his side at night. Tried the tummy part and he does sleep more comfortably. But have not been successful keeping him to his side at night though.

jassmine

take gripe water, my gal have colic when she was abt 6week old, we mix the gripe water in to the milk n fed her, n it cure fast!

diymummy

My baby slept on his tummy from birth even at night. You need to make sure that your mattress for baby is firm and there're no other items on the bed like pillows that could possibly suffocate your baby.

My baby tried RidWind and Dentinox Colic drops and Dentinox worked better for him than Ridwind.

You should consult your doctor regarding these meds though they are off the shelves as your baby is still young so the dosage will be less as that stated on the box.

Humpty

Gripe water's main ingredient is sodium bicarbonate, sounds ok. But yeah, good idea to check with the doc for confirmation.

One more other thing that my mum suggested - try to gently massage baby's tummy. There are some moves to help with colic (Just google 'baby massage colic'). We tried and it works sometimes too!

my baby was colic and regurgitated milk after feeds. tummy time worked. also keep bb upright for 15-30minutes after feed to help milk go down completely. helps to rid of stomach wind too. pd advised us to do so. bb will grow out of it. no worries. =)

sasha10

yes, my baby is the same...and even after she fell asleep..the regurgitated milk disturb her and woken her up to cry again.
a lot of the time she really refuse to burp too..
i didn't know have to keep baby upright for so long..am afraid i might just waken her up by keep her upright for so long..
will do that then.

yeah...i really hope my baby will grow out of it. When did ur baby grow out of it? my gal now is 9 weeks..still feel like ages for me to see her crying like this.
My heart really pain and i am clueless on what to do to help her..feel so sad sometime.

my baby was colic and regurgitated milk after feeds. tummy time worked. also keep baby upright for 15-30minutes after feed to help milk go down completely. helps to rid of stomach wind too. pediatrician advised us to do so. baby will grow out of it. no worries. =)

cmeilim

yes, my baby is the same...and even after she fell asleep..the regurgitated milk disturb her and woken her up to cry again.
i didn't know have to keep baby upright for so long..am afraid i might just waken her up by keep her upright for so long..
will do that then.

yeah...i really hope my baby will grow out of it. When did your baby grow out of it? my gal now is 9 weeks..still feel like ages for me to see her crying like this.
My heart really pain and i am clueless on what to do to help her..feel so sad sometime.

i heard from a girlfriend whose baby had similar problems. they took her for regular baby massages by a paediatrics-qualified therapy centre. they also let her sleep with a folded blanket placed underneath the mattress on the side where her head is lying (note, not under the baby's head, but under the mattress under the head). maybe you can also try...

Last edited:
will do that then.

yeah...i really hope my baby will grow out of it. When did your baby grow out of it? my gal now is 9 weeks..still feel like ages for me to see her crying like this.
sasha10, oops. been busy. my bb peaked her regurgitation at 2.5 to 3mths. she would vomit an entire feed. in 3 vomits. very scary. like merlion. pd said if baby is well and still feeding and gaining weight, its ok. then by about 4mths, she was completely off regurgitating. she is 6mths now. occassionally she will still regurg a little (about 5ml at most) of milk when she crawls around on her tummy too much.