Coloring of hair and hair cut during pregnancy

mommysnake

Hi mommies,

Im new here..i have afew questions that i like some advise here.:001_302:

Im currently 6months pregnant with my first, totally clueless about many things during this pregnancy.. im wondering if its ok to color/dye my hair during this stage and when can i trim /cut my hair, any 'pantang'?

I appreciate any information. Thanks:twink:

Hi mommies,

Im new here..i have afew questions that i like some advise here.:001_302:

Im currently 6months pregnant with my first, totally clueless about many things during this pregnancy.. im wondering if its ok to color/dye my hair during this stage and when can i trim /cut my hair, any 'pantang'?

I appreciate any information. Thanks:twink:
Trim/Cut can.. cos some mummies wana cut their hair short before confinement starts as it is easier to manage. But please dun dye ur hair as chemical will go from ur scalp to ur unborn bb. no good. I consult doc for this, she ask me to wait till i gave birth.

STmummy

I colored my hair when in my 3rd trimester for both pregnancies. Just dont go for those bleaching or extreme coloring for your hair. My gynae said it's okie. It's really up to you. See if you are pantang. I am not thus not worried. Still going for facial, pedicure, massages... we are pregnant but still must look good.

mommysnake

Thanks for your advise, i was really tempted to color my hair, thou my gynae say its ok to do it at the salon but i still dare not color my hair.. i cant stand some grey hair popping out, it makes me feel alittle unattractive and uncomfortable in the public, but i'll hang on.:)

mommysnake

I colored my hair when in my 3rd trimester for both pregnancies. Just dont go for those bleaching or extreme coloring for your hair. My gynae said it's okie. It's really up to you. See if you are pantang. I am not thus not worried. Still going for facial, pedicure, massages... we are pregnant but still must look good.
Yeah, i believe a woman should look good at all times even during pregnancy, i take alot of pride in my looks and always want to look my best..lol People told me i look good and radiant with the pregnancy glow now but i think the hair isnt looking that great, i dun want to wear a hat in a hot weather here. I hate GREY hair, there are so annoying..

mommysnake

Trim/Cut can.. cos some mummies wana cut their hair short before confinement starts as it is easier to manage. But please dun dye ur hair as chemical will go from ur scalp to ur unborn bb. no good. I consult doc for this, she ask me to wait till i gave birth.
Btw, is it really true that during confinement, we cannot bath or touch water for a month? sorry for asking so much..im really confused and clueless..:p

STmummy

it's another 3 months then you will deliver leh.. you sure can tahan? hehe.. I went for it cos also start seeing few strands of grey hair. Feel so much happier after I colored it.

As for the not touching water, as mentioned see if you are the pantang type. I am not thus showered everyday and wash my hair on alternate days (in the beginning with herbs cos the confinement auntie went to prepare) but after 1 week plus, cant stand the smell.. told her to forget about it. I also bathed my baby and washed the milk bottles even during confinement. No problem for me now..

All these pantang things are depending on yourself, I dont believe in those traditional confinement cos it's from China and the weather is so different from Singapore. Can you imagine not showering for 1 month in our weather? Anyway, it's up to you.

Btw, is it really true that during confinement, we cannot bath or touch water for a month? sorry for asking so much..im really confused and clueless..:p
my mil is those strict kind... but i really cannot stand not bathing myself for a month. so first 12 days nv bath but wipe myself everyday using the rice wine water. after 12 days i bathe every 4-5 days using the herbal water. No fan at all, switch it on n face the wall.... but some of my friends HACK CARE. bathe straight after delivery. it all depends on you=)))

Thanks for your advise, i was really tempted to color my hair, thou my gynae say its ok to do it at the salon but i still dare not color my hair.. i cant stand some grey hair popping out, it makes me feel alittle unattractive and uncomfortable in the public, but i'll hang on.:)
For me, I will hang on. even if gynae say its ok, i still wun do it... I agreed that, I look TOTALLY unattactive n aunty when i m pregnant. but after delivery u can do watever u wan again. its like a transform.!=D it solely depends on urself=))))

mommysnake

Thanks Ladies, I appreciate all these advise..bcos of my hair..I hardly go out.that often now..I'm actually a very active and outdoor girl who love shopping with friends and playing music..I know even the grey hair its not obvious..I feel good being pregnant but I dun feel like going out much..anyway..I will try my best to tahan the hair and the water thingy.wah say! No fan? that means no aircon too? gosh..I'll be feeling so hooot..lol

Last edited:

lekdao

I will try my best to tahan the hair and the water thingy.wah say! No fan? that means no aircon too? gosh..I'll be feeling so hooot..lol

Can hv fan but not blowing directly at u. air con is better then fan, consider aircon instead of fan but again not blowing directly at u.

Carlisle

so coloring hair while pregnant is safe? because i think it is bad for the baby..

STmummy

My gynae said it's safe. I did some online research and most suggested it's fine to do so. My son was born healthily and really alert (mentioned by my gynae). So don't see any harm done on baby. =)

If it helps to make a MTB happier, it's actually positive on the pregnancy cos baby can feel mummy's mood...

HappyVegemites

Hi all,

As a hairdresser, I can say as far as we are concerned it is safe- no it does not go from the scalp into your body!!

But it is personal preference at the end of the day!!

Good luck- oh and if you think you can get time to go to the hairdressers once bubs is here, then good luck with that :)

mommysnake

Thanks for the advise ladies..;)

You see, the prob with me is..my hair 'say' go ahead and my body 'say' no..im in a dilemma..LOL!!

Btw, i read the net that henna is safe for hair coloring bcos its a plant and organic? any ways or great remedies to reduce white hair ? Anyone have any ideas to share? Thanks! :)

jessmummy

i dyed my hair for my wedding earlier this yr. at that time i was a few weeks preg.
later when i found out i was preg, i kept telling myself its ok.. should be safe cos didnt know.

then i went to my stylist to help me chop my hair after the wedding and told her about the pregnancy. she said can dye but must keep off the roots.

chopping off hair should be ok ba.. cos else very hot...

some people very pantang say cant even hold scissors to cut anything. then my stylist say "choy! its my profession leh.. if i dont hold scissors, my baby no need to eat already".. hehe she just had her 3rd child in May.

mommysnake

i dyed my hair for my wedding earlier this yr. at that time i was a few weeks preg.
later when i found out i was preg, i kept telling myself its ok.. should be safe cos didnt know.

then i went to my stylist to help me chop my hair after the wedding and told her about the pregnancy. she said can dye but must keep off the roots.

chopping off hair should be ok ba.. cos else very hot...

some people very pantang say cant even hold scissors to cut anything. then my stylist say "choy! its my profession leh.. if i dont hold scissors, my baby no need to eat already".. hehe she just had her 3rd child in May.

Yeah..like others have said..i think its really up to individual..:) actually, i try not to be pantang but old folks always say dun do this dun do that, i know they have their reasons for everything so i 'kua kua' listen.:D

Renzie

Cutting hair is ok, but dye, hubby forbid me too. Don't even talk about straightening. Everytime feel very auntish during pregnancy period!

mommysnake

Hmmm..but i see many beautiful preggies on the streets..lol, my sis say my gray hair not obvious at all so i will tahan..hubby thinks that i still look attractive even with some gray hair..haha!:D Anyway, after delivery we can all dress like before and be a SEXY mama..woohoo!! LOL!!:Dancing_tongue: