Confinement after D&C - Help

Sad 33

I do not know if I can handle any more bad news on this pregnancy. Anyway it is about to come to an end soon...
Since I will really like to conceive again, I will like to seek your advice on confinement after D&C.

Please advise the following:
1. Any good confinement tingkat to recommend?
2. How to use "Mu Ju"rice wine to bath?
3. Is there any supplements or vitamins I should take to nurse back my health and also meant for future pregnancy?
4. Is it true we cannot do housework at all? There is only 2 of at home...so I need to do some planning.
5. Chicken Essence - which is better to take , the original favor or other favor (e.g cordyceps or tang kwei)?
6. When to take Bai Feng Wan after the D&C (I usually buy from Eu Ren Seng)? Take for how long?

Thanks a lot....

momo-san

Hi sad 33

Be strong and stay healthy. I have went through similiar experience. Here are my advice:

1. I never use confinement tingkat. It is expensive and I don't reali trust them. Of course it still provide as an alternative to ease your trouble in cooking. I would suggest you drink one month of red dates drinks (red dates, long gan, wolfberry). Avoid cooling stuff and seafood for one month, take a lot of ginger and sesame oil etc. Drink DOM if you can take it.

2. U just need abt 2 caps full/tablespoon of rice wine mix with a pail of water to bath of dry clean your body each time.

3. U should take folic acid and milk powder that is suitable to prepare for conceiving. No need to take too much other supplement unless prescribe ny gynae.

4. Still can do housework.

5. Infact chicken essence is just meant to boost your brain. If there is a need, you can try both cordceps and tang kwei. If can, I suggest you concot black chicken( replace with normal chicken if u cannot take black chicken) with tang kwei and dried long gan. Consume before go to bed. This is a lot better than bottled chicken essence. Take this soup 2 wks after your D&C.

6. There is no definiate period , just see how your body react to it. U can continue taking as a health supplement. I remember the box does indicate different methods of consumption mean for different purpose.

Hope my advice is useful to you. Take it easy. As long as there is one time of conceiving, chances of getting pregnant again will be promising (provided you take care of your body and diet).

Sad 33

Hi Momo-san,
Thank you so much for your reply. I truly appreciate that you take time and niceness to reply...
1. Confinement tingkat - after checking a few offers, I notice that they are prone to using disposable containers which I am quite turn off by this idea. As u say it is not cheap, but food coming in disposable containers really make me think these suppliers are more concerned about their convenience than health of confinement ladies...
How many red dates and dried logan do u boil at 1 go?
I have a bottle of DOM at home which I never touch before and box was already disposed...so I am quite unsure how to take it. Any advise?

2. If I will like to bath, can I use the rice wine mixed with warm water instead of brewing the chinese herbal bath?

3. Shld I continue to take folic acid and prenatal milk powder directly after D&C?

Thanks a lot again...

momo-san

U r welcome.

1. Utimately tingkat food is still not dat healthy though is meant for confinement. They are just convenience and better than eating outside food. If you're stay home at the moment, can do some simple cooking, no need to have any complex cooking can also be very healthy.

A handful of red dates and logan for abt 1 litre of water. You can re-boil by adding water until the taste no longer there. can add more red dates if u wan it to be more sweet. Can also add some black dates which is more nourish than red date. However, black dates has charred taste so u may not want to add too much. Of course, u can dun add if wan to save the trouble.

DOM can be taken simply by itself which is better. If cannot take it, then can add water. Do note that DOM is very strong, if this is yr 1st time taking, try a bit during day time. If take at nite u may not be able to sleep. Dun drink it too fast, your heart may pump very fast. Take it sip by sip.
Alternatively, can brew it with chicken for abt 2 hr , by then most of the alcohol will be gone and take it as soup.

2. Can

3. yes, you should.

Sad 33

Hi Momo-san,
Thanks for your quick reply. :))
I am interested in the Chicken with DOM.
How can I cook it? Is it place both chicken and DOM in slow cooker and cook for 2 hrs? Any other ingredients to place together?

Sad 33

Hi Momo-san,

D&C is scheduled tmw :( I really care bear to let it go......

Btw I was talking to an sales auntie at Eu Yan Seng, and she told me to take So Hup Pills to dispel winds and blood clots. Have u taken that previously? If yes, how long u take? I am quite curious why I need to take 2 boxes...

momo-san

I'm not sure the pills I took is it So Hup cos is bought by my CL. I took 2 different types of pills so not sure which is which. I took it after I delivered my baby and not D&C. The qty I took is for abt 1 wks.

Sad 33

Hi momo-San, kimotsusei,
All along I have a poor back, that is I suffer from nagging backache often after I mop the floor. Today is 1 wk after d&c and even though not doing any heavy housework, but only washing dishes, I suffer again from bad backache. I'm not very active now and backache comes to me after 2 hrs of waking up. I dunno why....
I thot my diet was good enough, with 2 tablespoons of Dom into the soup I drink daily from tingkat services. Do both of u have any advice on food for backache during this confinement period? I hope to improve my body esp back for future...

momo-san

Hi sad 33

Yr backache sound very back. I unable to advise on that, hv no experience at all. I suggest it good to consult doc else it will pose a big problem when u pregnant. Get it treated soon.

Take care.

Sad 33

Hi momo-San,
I have done some reading and it was said the Chinese herb 'du zhong' is good for kidney and back. Since I have a bottle of HuiJi wasit tonic( contain chong cao, shou Wu, du zhong) I am starting to take it. Another forum-er also comments on it. I'm trying out before seeing doctor. :)

Sad 33

hi momo-san,
pardon me for my 1001 questions... I have very minimal spotting(usually red or pink or brown) for past 10 days. However Today being the 10th days after my D&C but I notice quite a lot of watery yellow discharge when I wipe. It's quite a lot like 4 wipes it is still there.
Have you experience this previously? Shld i have any cause of concern?

Dear sad 33, i experienced the same thing as you on 17 june. It hurts me so badly that i lost this bb. People been telling me i m still young and can have more bb in future. But i know v well it is not going to be the same bb no matter how many i have in future. It will forever be my regret that i never will get the chance to hold it close to me.

I opt for natural miscarriage with antibiotics. Right now, i drink red dates longan tea everyday, i replaced plain water with it. I also take ginseng chicken soup n ba zhen soup. In the morning i take anlene milk with cereals n oats. I will start to take chicken essence with tang kwei n dom soon. My meals include loads of veggies n lean meat cooked with seseme oil n ginger. Hope it helps..

You are not alone. I know how much it hurts. I am still crying alot. I must stay strong for my hb n parents who have been supportive. U too. I m going to plant forgetmenot in memory of my bb...... u probably can do the same or remember him in your own unique way.

Sad 33

Dear sad 33, i experienced the same thing as you on 17 june. It hurts me so badly that i lost this bb. People been telling me i m still young and can have more bb in future. But i know v well it is not going to be the same bb no matter how many i have in future. It will forever be my regret that i never will get the chance to hold it close to me.

I opt for natural miscarriage with antibiotics. Right now, i drink red dates longan tea everyday, i replaced plain water with it. I also take ginseng chicken soup n ba zhen soup. In the morning i take anlene milk with cereals n oats. I will start to take chicken essence with tang kwei n dom soon. My meals include loads of veggies n lean meat cooked with seseme oil n ginger. Hope it helps..

You are not alone. I know how much it hurts. I am still crying alot. I must stay strong for my hb n parents who have been supportive. U too. I m going to plant forgetmenot in memory of my bb...... u probably can do the same or remember him in your own unique way.
Dear Faithmummy, thank you for sharing your story with me as u make me feel less alone in this big world. I have to let it go 30-May after having it with me for 8 weeks. The people around you are very encouraging (i choose to let very little people know as i don't have a lot really for my good intention people around me) but like what u say only we know that it will be so very difficult to let it go even though it is no longer with us. I cried so badly after D&C operation when I was asked to wake up from the anesthesia by the nurse. i couldn't control my sadness,anger and resentment that this unfairness plagued me.
I found out i was pregnant when i was are 5wks pregnant, only after 2 days of knowing things started to go downhill... i started to bleed. anyway i went to 2 private gynaes who misdiagnose me intentionally or unintentionally that i was down with ectopic pregnancy. til at the last draw hubby suggest me to go kkh...but luckily found out that there is no ectopic which is the more severe case.. sac was being seen in womb but pregnancy not viable one due to bad HcG reading and suggesting i am having a self m/c then. i really suffer the whole 3 wks (before D&C) and totally bedridden as thot i can help save the pregancy. i live like a zombie..heartbroken, angry, sad and loss fate in life for almost 1.5mths...now 3 wks after D&C, i am still recuperating due to poor health. initially thot this pregnancy was blessed after more than 10 yrs of marriage, but it really turned so wrong. so terribly wrong.
faithmummy, i also drink red date, logan, ginger + wolf berry tea everyday but i still take plain water as I find myself can't do without water.

what is 'n zhen'? u mean u take ginseng chicken soup and ba zheng soup? do u have any recipe for ginseng chicken soup as i am interested to make too. for ginseng just buy those normal soup ginseng from medical hall right?
I dunno if tang kwei can be taken so fast after D&C so i bought all my Chicken essence in original favor. pls take it now as Chicken essence shld give your health a boost. As i take bai feng wan, and the broacher mention to to take 10 days after labour discharge, i start taking more herbal stuff after 10 days like bai feng wan, tang kwei soup, dang shen black chicken soup and birds nest.
as for DOM, i take it almost daily with my tingkat. i just add 2 tbspn to soup. is anyone cooking for u during this period of time?
btw i am also taking multivit. i take it 2 hrs after food as multivit does not go hand in hand with dairy products.
mum says i can take plenty of heath food. she even encourage me to take chocolate and milo. i have been indulging with lots of chocolate but the best part is due to confinement i nvr get heaty!

faithmummy, time will really heal... after 2 wks on D&C i was still crying when i see baby on tv or photos of friends' baby on fb. but this 3rd wk, i am getting better. try to watch funny tv, or write in forum like i did. i really take my mind off and sometimes to know u are not all alone makes things feel better...
i will definitely not forget my baby (and dunno if u find it strange... i know she is a gal). somehow or rather i don;t know if its all god's will that to let us lost something we wanted in order to make us treasure more the upcoming? i really don't know now, but my priority is to nurse my health... so that i am strong if i want another... i am so angry with myself for having bad woman health and not able to let it grow healthy..

Last edited:
Dear Faithmummy, thank you for sharing your story with me as u make me feel less alone in this big world. I have to let it go 30-May after having it with me for 8 weeks. The people around you are very encouraging (i choose to let very little people know as i don't have a lot really for my good intention people around me) but like what u say only we know that it will be so very difficult to let it go even though it is no longer with us. I cried so badly after D&C operation when I was asked to wake up from the anesthesia by the nurse. i couldn't control my sadness,anger and resentment that this unfairness plagued me.
I found out i was pregnant when i was are 5wks pregnant, only after 2 days of knowing things started to go downhill... i started to bleed. anyway i went to 2 private gynaes who misdiagnose me intentionally or unintentionally that i was down with ectopic pregnancy. til at the last draw hubby suggest me to go kkh...but luckily found out that there is no ectopic which is the more severe case.. sac was being seen in womb but pregnancy not viable one due to bad HcG reading and suggesting i am having a self m/c then. i really suffer the whole 3 wks (before D&C) and totally bedridden as thot i can help save the pregancy. i live like a zombie..heartbroken, angry, sad and loss fate in life for almost 1.5mths...now 3 wks after D&C, i am still recuperating due to poor health. initially thot this pregnancy was blessed after more than 10 yrs of marriage, but it really turned so wrong. so terribly wrong.
faithmummy, i also drink red date, logan, ginger + wolf berry tea everyday but i still take plain water as I find myself can't do without water.

what is 'n zhen'? u mean u take ginseng chicken soup and ba zheng soup? do u have any recipe for ginseng chicken soup as i am interested to make too. for ginseng just buy those normal soup ginseng from medical hall right?
I dunno if tang kwei can be taken so fast after D&C so i bought all my Chicken essence in original favor. pls take it now as Chicken essence shld give your health a boost. As i take bai feng wan, and the broacher mention to to take 10 days after labour discharge, i start taking more herbal stuff after 10 days like bai feng wan, tang kwei soup, dang shen black chicken soup and birds nest.
as for DOM, i take it almost daily with my tingkat. i just add 2 tbspn to soup. is anyone cooking for u during this period of time?
btw i am also taking multivit. i take it 2 hrs after food as multivit does not go hand in hand with dairy products.
mum says i can take plenty of heath food. she even encourage me to take chocolate and milo. i have been indulging with lots of chocolate but the best part is due to confinement i nvr get heaty!

faithmummy, time will really heal... after 2 wks on D&C i was still crying when i see baby on tv or photos of friends' baby on fb. but this 3rd wk, i am getting better. try to watch funny tv, or write in forum like i did. i really take my mind off and sometimes to know u are not all alone makes things feel better...
i will definitely not forget my baby (and dunno if u find it strange... i know she is a gal). somehow or rather i don;t know if its all god's will that to let us lost something we wanted in order to make us treasure more the upcoming? i really don't know now, but my priority is to nurse my health... so that i am strong if i want another... i am so angry with myself for having bad woman health and not able to let it grow healthy..
sad 33
do you know why my nick is faithmummy?
i name my lost bb "faith"
i hope he can give me faith to move on.

though i had been wishing for a gal for firstborn, as i was carrying this poor bb for 8 weeks, my feeling was that it is a boy... and i love it equally.... i lost it less than a week, so i still feeling very very sad. I am currently on MC from work and been going back to kkh to do blood test to check if hcg level drop.... i have been spending alot of money within less than a week.
i really feel that in SG, u got to be very healthy otherwise u cannot survive.

i do believe my boy will come back to me in my future pregnancy one day. I read somewhere that Miscarriages happen because the baby is not ready (maybe he sense that his mother's health is not good, or that his parents are financially not ready to have him or other reasons that his soul left because he do not want to be a burden).... but if our love is strong enough, he will come back to me and be my bb again. Otherwise, he will go on to incarnate in other family and may he have a blessed life ahead.
I cried when i read this... and feel very sad... but i do hold the belief that my boy will be back to me....No matter what.... if future, if anyone ask me how many kids i have, i will still count him as one of my beloved child.

Right now, everyone is telling me to nurse back my health.... and i believe Money cannot buy health... no matter how much i got to spend, i got to spend it...
Sorry that there is typo above. I meant " Ba Zhen" Soup. You can go to any chinese medical hall and tell them you need ba zhen soup.
They will give you a Set of herbs and teach you how to cook it with Chicken. I dun really know how to teach U because my mum is the one who cook for me....
Ginseng Chicken Soup.... I found the Recipe below..... you may try it...

I sincerely wish you all the best. I believe two of us will have a healthy bb one day.
I am still sad... but i hope the two of us and other mummies who suffer the same fate as us can Walk out of this Together.

Ingredients
Serves 3-4

1/2 chicken*, chopped to small pieces and skin removed
40g American Ginseng “Beards” 洋参须**
1.6 litres of water
25g Huai Shan 淮山
10 red dates
1/2 tbsp wolfberries
a pinch of salt* (optional)

* You can also substitute with 1 small black chicken or 250g lean pork, sliced thickly. Skip the blanching part (step 1 below) if using lean pork. I personally prefer using chicken.
** If you are ‘scared’ of the ‘bitter’ taste of ginseng, reduce to 30g. Similarly, if you want a richer ginseng taste, you can increase the amount to 50g.

Directions
1. Blanch chicken pieces in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Place the blanched chicken and the rest of the ingredients (except wolfberries) into a pot with the water. Bring to a boil, continue boiling over high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to a lower flame and simmer for at least another 40 minutes (and longer if you can). Add wolfberries at the last 15 minutes of cooking. You can also slow cook, or use a thermal pot (or whatever you have) to prolong the cooking (at a gentle pace) to bring out the tastes. Add salt to taste.

Last edited:
and dear Sad33
same as you.... i have been blaming myself for not having good health in the first place... and for not seeing a Gynae almost immediately after i felt that i was pregnant. I blame myself for not taking Folic Acid at all !!!
I started taking folic acid now as doc say it is ok to start now.
I think you should quickly start your folic acid now
it is so so so important that i neglected it...
Some told me, it is not my fault but i know somehow it is....

However, we got to quickly walk out of self blame. so that We can have positive emotions to have new BB in future.... If possible, try to go see a TCM doctor to nurse back our health
i really wish you all the best and i hope i can hear good news from you in the near future.
U can PM me anytime u want.

Last edited:
now i know why you read only the word - zhen
this forum seem to edit the whole word for my post
it was supposed to be bazhen
i meant to say "八珍“

Sad 33

hi faithmummy,
yes our lost babies will be in safe hands... i believe that mine has gone to find my grandma who passed away yrs back...concidentally she was a dragon and always wanted to see me with a kid...but nvr did when she left this world. initially i thot it was her who blessed me with baby, but now i think the baby must somehow be with her to keep her company...

btw did your doctor at KKH request u to do a blood test? mine did not after D&C, also with KKH.

ya...this forum keep editing the '8 zheng' lol....

of course lets keep in touch!!! :) btw life is definitely with its ups and downs. i believe we will be better in many senses after this sad incident...jia you

hi faithmummy,
yes our lost babies will be in safe hands... i believe that mine has gone to find my grandma who passed away yrs back...concidentally she was a dragon and always wanted to see me with a kid...but nvr did when she left this world. initially i thot it was her who blessed me with baby, but now i think the baby must somehow be with her to keep her company...

btw did your doctor at KKH request u to do a blood test? mine did not after D&C, also with KKH.

ya...this forum keep editing the '8 zheng' lol....

of course lets keep in touch!!! :) btw life is definitely with its ups and downs. i believe we will be better in many senses after this sad incident...jia you
dear sad 33,
mine was natural miscarriage, not d&c, so i guess that is why i am required to go back for blood test.
i had replied u in another thread.... but i worried u didn't see, so i am sending u the link.
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f7/my-first-pregnancy-but-miscarriage-91244/#post663780

also, i had decided to do a "chao du" for my baby at Ju Shi Lin temple
the "buddha fa hui" is in August.
this will serve as a good closure for me.
and My baby will have the chance to reincarnate (maybe to my next bb again :))
sorry, i forget to tell u that i am a buddhist....
if u are of other religions, u can also choose to do prayers for your bb...
for me, i really wish my bb can be safe in afterlife.

Last edited: