confinement recipes

tenor

Alpha Male
Wow way to go. I did my wife's confinement too. Fun but tough job. I had only typed out some of my recipes and they are all in the laptop at work. Can only give you tomorrow, actually by end of the week?

Mean while, I think there is a Priscilla here, in mummysg, who has a blog that has loads of recipes. If your hubby is doing it then I think he should be pretty confident in his culinary skills. Take the recipes as ideas and modify to your taste (Not his, he is the confinement man, but yours)[sorry but when I was doing it, I kept telling myself that she is the consumer and not I, and the 1 month is for her not I. ]

Just a few things the confinement chef should take note of:

Be generous with the ginger to dispel the gas in the abdomen area, the gas is due to the space created when placenta is pushed out from your body. So need plenty of ginger.

If you are breastfeeding, then the chef must let the alcohol evaporates first before serving it to you.

serve loads of soups (with ginger).

Here is the Blog
Recipes « Priscilla’s Favourite Recipes

Hope this helps.
Enjoy, your month to be the empress

stonston

popular has a very good book on confinement tt includes when e dish can be served (not all dishes can be eaten immediately after giving birth, got timing one)....

i tink e book is $12.95 onli...alot of recipes...honestly, my indon maid did confinement for me n she could make confinement dishes with tt recipe book, i'm sure ur hb can :)

there is an intro page with e types of hearbs used in e book, pictures n e uses of those herbs :) u can ask hb to modufy accordingly :)

btw, e book has english n chinese on same page de...so if ur hb dunno wot it is, can bring e book go to medical hall or go to market n ask :)

weishy

Tks guys!!!!!!wanna save $ la,bought a book this afternnon on confinement food "the essence of confinement food' found it not bad.My hub doesnt read chinese ,got english translation so........good for him kekkekeke

weishy

sorry i think i bought the book that STONSTON mentioned,a friend of mine mention to me that i can go to those medical halls,tell them to pack herbs for confinement then they'll do it accordingly so not bad.....no need to worry abt the quantity hohohoho

Xan2008

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and searching for recipes for my hubby who is planning to cook for me. I'm due around CNY so having problems finding a confinement nanny. A bit worried hubby won't be able to cope. Anyone able to recommend a good confinement food caterer? Thanks

Jacey81

Hi this is my first time here.. just want to ask some questions.. I heard that ginger is not good for breastfeeding mother as the gas is passed on to the baby... Is it true?

Very confused...

priscilla

Hi this is my first time here.. just want to ask some questions.. I heard that ginger is not good for breastfeeding mother as the gas is passed on to the baby... Is it true?

Very confused...
Jacey, ginger is used to remove the coolest from the food we consume during confinement, it does not pass the gas to the baby. In fact, I consume alot of ginger and sesame during confinement which I have to keep reminding my mil who is not experience to cook confinement food to add more ginger and sesame to the dishes she was preparing for me. And I also take the soup make with pig stomach and lots of whole pepper.

My boy has jaundice at birth but the confinement food does not cause any extension of his jaundice, neither did he has alot of gas in him as he was TBF till 18months. Just that after each feeding, must gently strike the back of the baby upward to remove air bubbles trap durinf feeding and prevent gas in the stomach.

tracyk

gosh i realised i shd have posted my recipe here! took this soup during confinement and it's really gd comfort food. makes me feel less lethargic too. try it!

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Green (unripe) or semi-ripe papaya[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]700g [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fish, can b snakehead, carp, seabream, pomfret...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]300g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fish bones [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 no.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Red dates[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 pcs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dang Shen[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 pcs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yuzhu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 slices[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]huiji waist tonic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]40-80ml[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Instructions:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Put fish bones, ginger, dang shen, red dates, yuzhu in water and boil for half an hour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add papaya and when papaya softens, add fish and simmer till fish is cooked[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add 40-80 ml of waist tonic (i think u can get it at most supermarkets) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Serve immediately. heard it's gd for breastfeeding mums to drink as much piping hot soup as possible as it helps lactation [/FONT]

CanCanMum

Black Spring Chicken with DOM

Very easy to prepare confinement recipe, nourishes your body and replenishes blood loss. Not much ingredients needed, but need to cook for 4 hours minimum, and need to add water on and off if the water evaporates away.

1) Whole spring chicken, black (Hei Ji), wash and remove all intestines.
2) DOM

- Get a small traditional chinese brewing pot (those ceramic kind with an inner lid and outer lid), put the spring chicken into the the pot. Shd fit nicely inside.

- Fill a normal bowl with water (240ml) and pour it into the pot. Put 2-3 tablespoonfuls of DOM. Cover up the inner and outer lid.

- In cooking pot (big enuf for the brewing pot to sit in) put the brewing pot in. Fill up with water up to the lid of the brewing pot. Cover up. Cook over high heat until the water boils den simmer.

- On and off check the stove and the water level. Make sure the water does evaporate off and dries up. Perhaps every 30-45mins.

- After about 4 hours of cooking it should be ready.

- The meat will taste sweet and seasoned

- soup will be rich and full of meat taste.

tracyk

Here some more recipes

Pork ribs & peanut soup (serves 4)

Ingredients :

Pork ribs 500gm
Fresh groundnuts 300gm
Red dates 12 pcs
Garlic 6 pcs
Huiji waist tonic 60-80ml (I think the waist tonic’s Chinese name is huiji bu yao jing. Can get at NTUC fairprice)

Instructions:

1. Clean pork ribs

2. Boil pork ribs with groundnuts in water and pour away water

3. Put fresh water to boil and add in red dates and garlic to simmer for around 1 hour

4. Add 60-80 ml of Waist tonic

5. Serve immediately while hot, Gd for breastfeeding mums to drink as much hot soup as possible to help lactation

BLACK CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN SOUP
(Good for new mothers who’ve lost lots of blood during delivery. This tonic is good for invigorating blood circulation. Take plenty of rest after drinking this soup to help speed up recovery!)

1 Black Chicken
200g Black Beans
2 cups Huiji
4 slices old ginger
2 Tbs Sesame Seed Oil

* Gut & Clean Chicken.
* Heat Oil then fry ginger slices and black beans until fragrant (approx 2 to 3mins). Then also add the chicken to fry about 5mins.
* Put all the ingredients into the crockpot and fill pot with HOT water until the level is about 1/2full. Boil for 2 to 3hrs until soup is fragrant.

tracyk

This is another of my favorite =)

Pig’s trotters with vinegar – zhu jiao cu (serves 4)

Ingredients:

Red dates 12 pcs
Pig’s trotters 1 pc
Garlic 10 pcs
Black vinegar 2 tsps
Oyster sauce 1 tsp
Soya sauce 1 tsp
Huiji Waist Tonic 40-80ml

Instructions:

1. Clean and split pig’s trotters

2. Boil pig’s trotters in water and pour away water

3. Add vinegar, garlic, red dates, oyster sauce and soya sauce to pig’s trotters and simmer for 1 hour

4. Add 40-80ml of Waist tonic before serving

tracyk

and in case you wondering what is huiji can see pic below .There, this is huiji my mum encourage me to drink this often and you will be amazed to how it helps recover. Apparently it helps spine inflammation very well too.. NTUC got sell...

yvonne_ktw

gosh i realised i shd have posted my recipe here! took this soup during confinement and it's really gd comfort food. makes me feel less lethargic too. try it!

[FONT=&quot]700g [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]300g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 no.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 pcs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yuzhu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5g[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Put fish bones, ginger, dang shen, red dates, yuzhu in water and boil for half an hour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add papaya and when papaya softens, add fish and simmer till fish is cooked[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add 40-80 ml of waist tonic (i think u can get it at most supermarkets) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Serve immediately. heard it's gd for breastfeeding mums to drink as much piping hot soup as possible as it helps lactation [/FONT]
Hi Hi,
Can C-Sec mummy take this soup now? Or have to wait till remove stitches? Thanks ya

tracyk

Waaaaaah hahaha to be honest i dunno haha . I think best ask your gynae lor i take huiji almost immediately after child birth and i didnt experience any side effects.... but i am not a doctor, best is ask your doctor first wor =) keke :wong19:

tracyk

You may want to try this as well =)

DUZHONG TONIC SOUP
(For mothers who have terrible backaches after delivery. This tonic helps strengthen your lumbar region.)

50g black beans, pan-fried without oil 20g Tu-Chong / duzhong (Eucommia)
10g Wai-san / huaishan (Dioscorea)
Add one cup of Huiji
10g Medlar seeds (Kei-Chee/qizhi)
5g Longan flesh
500g Meat Bones

Scald the bones in Boiling water for 3 mins. Rinse all herbs. Put all ingredients in crockpot and fill 1/2 full with HOT water. Boil for 3 hrs before drinking warm.

joeichen

[FONT=&quot]700g [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]300g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 no.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 pcs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yuzhu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5g[/FONT]

Hi, must it be Huiji waist tonic? can it be DOM so some other?