Cook porridge with dried scallop??

kenxf_03

Hi mummies,

Need advices badly!!!

mother in law has been telling me to include some dried scallop inside the porridge for my 9mth old dear son... Kp on saying in the past, she used to cook this way for her kids and the porridge is damn sweet!

And kp asking y I go to the extend to cook the stock 1st then cook with porridge. And comment that actually, I dont need to go to that extend to cook stock, its like so troublesome. The reason I cook the stock with porridge cos I wanna to add some flavour cos I'll be adding threadfin which I'm worried that my dear son will refuse to eat it becos of the fishy smell. But it turn out that even if I dont cook porridge with stock, dear son is not that picky and will finish the porridge even if threadfin is added. So I'll only cook stock occasionally to cook the porridge.

Then, she'll ask y dont add marmite to the porridge.. >.<

After my explaination on y marmite shldnt be given to babies below 1 yrs old, she still say got like this one meh, cant eat marmite meh?? in the past, she used to add seasoning to porridge somemore, more nicer to eat..

She even volunteer to cook porridge for dear son but I was so worried that she may add seasoning to it so I tell her its ok, I can cook for him on other day.

This isnt the 1st time she asked me to cook with dried scallop .. But my dear son's skin is sensitive, hence, I dont dare to anyhow give him things to eat.. But my mother in law just dont understand.. :embarrassed:

moomoo85

Hi kenxf 03

My Mil asked me to add dried scallop for ds's porridge too!She even went to buy it...
can babies below 1 yrs old take scallop?

Btw, i saw her giving ds rice to eat! Plain rice! Some people told me that is difficult to digest the rice as ds is below 1 yrs old.. but mil "heck care" and still give ds eat rice!

annie

your MIL sounds exactly like my mum! lol

scallop is a seafood and there is a worry of seafood allergy below 1... i gave my girl after 1 and she seems to like it. maybe because it is sweet.. my mum says she put a bit of soy sauce or marmite to the porridge also last time lol. but then last time is last time.. times has changed.

but i will say.. if your son is not picky, then dun make stock for him. just in case he gets older and realise porridge cook in stock taste better then refuse to eat porridge cook in just water. then u will have a hard time.. imo, if baby is not picky, then be as lazy as u can be. dun cultivate a picky eater unknowingly.

apollo

since ur son's skin is sensitive, better not. scallop is consider seafood, might cause allergy.. my mum said ds, who is ard 8mths old, is too young for dried scallop, i think ur baby too..

sometimes i'm lazy to cook the stock and i just cook with normal water.. lik what annie said, i'm afriad my son will get used to those 'nice taste'.. =)

PinkDiamonds

My mom cooks my girl's porridge with scallops since she was 6 months old. Thankfully, she has not developed any allergy to it. My MIL, on the other hand, uses dried scallops to cook her porridge. It does make the porridge sweeter but I think for us adults, we can't really tell the difference.

My daughter goes to my mom's place only once a week, so my mom will just throw the scallops, carrots, threadfin in together with the porridge and cook. Actually the fishy smell will still be there, because you can't use ginger or anything to hide the smell. Usually we feed her then give her a bathe, then not so smelly. LOL.

I once caught my MIL putting soya sauce in my daughter's porridge! I told her not to do it, and she said, "ok ok." But now I never go and check. I just trust that she doesn't give. To me it's only like once in a few weeks, so I just close one eye. Not knowing, I get less pissed off. LOL.

diymummy

Agree with the rest.

Why don't you tell your mum-in-law to introduce it after 1 year old just to be on the safe side? It's better than finding out he has an allergy and trying to treat the symptoms of it (rashes) and cause discomfort to your boy.

Scallops are shell-fish. And soy sauce contains soy. Both can potentially cause allergic reactions when fed to babies below the age of 1.

JoyChay

I only add dried scallops after my baby is about 9 months old. It seeems ok but I do not do that for every meal. Mostly I use ikan bilis powder grounded and added to porridge to cook which is faster and sweeter together with fish.

kenxf_03

Hi kenxf 03

My mother in law asked me to add dried scallop for dear son's porridge too!She even went to buy it...
can babies below 1 yrs old take scallop?

Btw, i saw her giving dear son rice to eat! Plain rice! Some people told me that is difficult to digest the rice as dear son is below 1 yrs old.. but mother in law "heck care" and still give dear son eat rice!
Hi moomoo85,

I dont give my DS on plain rice yet cos its drier and worried that DS may get choke also if he didnt swallow well.. I meant I to paly safe, I wont give him plain rice that early loh.

kenxf_03

your mother in law sounds exactly like my mum! lol

scallop is a seafood and there is a worry of seafood allergy below 1... i gave my girl after 1 and she seems to like it. maybe because it is sweet.. my mum says she put a bit of soy sauce or marmite to the porridge also last time lol. but then last time is last time.. times has changed.

but i will say.. if your son is not picky, then dont make stock for him. just in case he gets older and realise porridge cook in stock taste better then refuse to eat porridge cook in just water. then you will have a hard time.. imo, if baby is not picky, then be as lazy as you can be. dont cultivate a picky eater unknowingly.
Hi annie,

Noted with lotsa thks!

you've a point there too!! I'll tk note of this. Actually, alternately, I do cook stock porridge for him but not that often as compared to the past. Cos Hb let him tried on plain porrisge b4 and he loves it!! So on and off I'll cook with stock loh.

Glad that DS is not a fussy eater. :tlaugh:

kenxf_03

Agree with the rest.

Why dont't you tell your mum-in-law to introduce it after 1 year old just to be on the safe side? It's better than finding out he has an allergy and trying to treat the symptoms of it (rashes) and cause discomfort to your boy.

Scallops are shell-fish. And soy sauce contains soy. Both can potentially cause allergic reactions when fed to babies below the age of 1.
Hi diymummy,

i hv explain to her many times le, but she kp asking me to add!! I even told her that PD said its BEST NOT TO add dried scallop cos some babies may be allergy to it. But dont tink she rem loh.. SO everytime she ask, I repeat and repeat loh..

Sometimes, leave to Hb to tok to her. And every time she said she wanna cook, then Hb will say its ok, its best to leave the porridge cooking to me. Cos Hb also worried that MIL will add seasoning secretly..

Told Hb abt the conseqences of having skin allergy to certain food and he understand but not to MIL. Cos elders dont believe in this loh, still live in the past.. Glad that Hb is understanding enough. :tlaugh:

camom

Btw, i saw her giving dear son rice to eat! Plain rice! Some people told me that is difficult to digest the rice as dear son is below 1 yrs old.. but mother in law "heck care" and still give dear son eat rice!
If you are giving plain rice, should be ok. Just add a bit more water when cooking to make it fluffier and softer. Just don't give glutinuous rice, this one is very hard to digest.

apollo

kenxf_03, next time dont tell ur mil tt pd said BEST NOT TO add, just tell her "pd said TOTALLY CANNOT add!" tt's wat i used to tell my mum when she behaves lik ur mil too.. haha...

kenxf_03

kenxf_03, next time dont tell your mother in law that pediatrician said BEST NOT TO add, just tell her "pediatrician said TOTALLY CANNOT add!" that's what i used to tell my mum when she behaves lik your mother in law too.. haha...
:shyxxx: now then i realise I use the wrong word... paiseh!! haha!

I just tell her its ok lah, i can do it myself for the cooking, tink she also know that I worried she may anyhow add seasoning and etc loh.. But i dont care, cos its the health of my son we are toking abt here!

chelle

My mum also use dried scallops to cook porridge for my boy, but of course she did not feed the scallops to him.
She did suggest marmite too but i say cannot.
But when we cook pumpkin or sweet potatoe porridge, the porridge will be sweet enough so we do not add any scallops etc