Cooking porridge and storing it for 2 meals

Hi mummies (and daddies),

My DS is coming to 8 mths in 2 weeks and has been on cereal till now. We tried to start him on porridge as his infant care cooks that for the babies there. The infant care uses brown rice, salmon and a vege for the porridge. I think my DS wasn't used to it and he got diarrhea after eating the porridge after 3 days. So now I am intending to cook my own and bring to the infant care for them to feed.

I have a few questions to ask though:
(1) How much water do I put into the slow cooker to cook the porridge? Any guidelines you know of? Can I cook the porridge overnight? And once the porridge starts to cook can I throw in the fish and vege to cook it overnight?

(2) I bought the tiger brand food jar to store the porridge but I'm wondering if it is good to put 2 meals worth inside (for lunch and dinner). Will the porridge go bad? Especially if I intend to cook the porridge with "Ngor Heer" I'm not sure if the fish will turn fishy... Any one can share their experience?

Thanks so much!!

1568mummy

"(1) How much water do I put into the slow cooker to cook the porridge? Any guidelines you know of? Can I cook the porridge overnight? And once the porridge starts to cook can I throw in the fish and vege to cook it overnight?"

I have never used a slow cooker to cook porridge before, but since slow cooker hardly 'burn' the food, you can put a ratio of 1:4. Meaning, if you put 1 cup of rice, you can put 4 cups of water.
Sure you can put in the 'main stuff' in once the porridge starts to cook, but to cook overnight....hmmm... I guess with slow cooker, you can....

"(2) I bought the tiger brand food jar to store the porridge but I'm wondering if it is good to put 2 meals worth inside (for lunch and dinner). Will the porridge go bad? Especially if I intend to cook the porridge with "Ngor Heer" I'm not sure if the fish will turn fishy... Any one can share their experience?"

Seriously, my experience with porridge in air-tight container, hmmm... not too good. The porridge do turn bad after many hours... if you pack it in the morning, lunch should be fine. But I dare not say so for dinner, unless you instruct the care-takers to open the lid slightly, at least got 'ventilation'. As to whether it will turn fishy, most importantly is the cooking part, throw in ginger, a slice or two .... that should be good enough to get rid of the fishy smell.

*just my 2 cents.... *smile*

snowbear

Hi mummies (and daddies),

My dear son is coming to 8 mths in 2 weeks and has been on cereal till now. We tried to start him on porridge as his infant care cooks that for the babies there. The infant care uses brown rice, salmon and a vege for the porridge. I think my dear son wasn't used to it and he got diarrhea after eating the porridge after 3 days. So now I am intending to cook my own and bring to the infant care for them to feed.

I have a few questions to ask though:
(1) How much water do I put into the slow cooker to cook the porridge? Any guidelines you know of? Can I cook the porridge overnight? And once the porridge starts to cook can I throw in the fish and vege to cook it overnight?
I put 1 full tablespoon of rice grains (15ml) to about 150ml of stock to cook in the slow cooker for about 2hrs. Must make sure you warm up this combination on the stove till it's boiling before you transfer it to cook via the slow cooker. I dun think it's wise to cook porridge overnight via slow cooker coz although the liquid evaporates slowly, leaving it with too little water to cook may be a fire hazard. Throw in ingredients about 10-15 minutes before you intend to serve the porridge otherwise if the ingredients are cooked for too long, the nutritional value is lost. I usually cook the ingredients separately coz my dd prefers it that way.

(2) I bought the tiger brand food jar to store the porridge but I'm wondering if it is good to put 2 meals worth inside (for lunch and dinner). Will the porridge go bad? Especially if I intend to cook the porridge with "Ngor Heer" I'm not sure if the fish will turn fishy... Any one can share their experience?

Thanks so much!!
The tiger food container can only keep the porridge warm and the manual states that you shldn't keep food in it for longer than 6hrs coz it'd go bad after that. And if you're gonna put fish in it, leaving it for hours will certainly cause it to become very fishy. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks mummies for your replies!

Judging from what you all say I think I better ask the infant care to serve my DS during lunch and dinner will just feed cereal... Then weekends will be able to feed porridge for 2 meals...

redjn

unable to give much advice on cooking P on slow cooker as I do it on stove & cook fresh on each time meal. tiring but better.

As for storing them into container, my advice is NO.... why, u will ask.... b'cos P after cook leave to cool & warm up again to feed will cause wind to bb stomach.