Cord Blood Banking

DodoTan

I opted for public banking. I believe in karma. :p Besides, if there aren't enough stems cells to be stored, you can opt for it to be used for research.

Last edited:

January84

i read one article frm e papers saying tat, we shld b encourage to donate 2 e public as wat cluelessmummy say...
encouraged to donate to public cos public did not save it...

so after u donate to public without saving one for yourself, you become one of the public too..

January84

But chances of using it once is small. Chances of using it twice is near to zero.... let alone 4 times.

things are hard to say...

now they have further research to heart disease and others,
imagine if your kid have to use the blood for sickness there after like 10 years later we got heart problem, at least we know there is a cure and no need to worry things like how my children goign to survive if i am not around, etc...

January84

I opted for public banking. I believe in karma. :p Besides, if there aren't enough stems cells to be stored, you can opt for it to be used for research.

yup, if stem cells arent enuff to store, opt for it to be used for reseach so that in future maybe stem cells are 1 of the most effective cure for the top 30 killers...

badtzzz

things are hard to say...

now they have further research to heart disease and others,
imagine if your kid have to use the blood for sickness there after like 10 years later we got heart problem, at least we know there is a cure and no need to worry things like how my children goign to survive if i am not around, etc...
ya..true...cant really help to save ur child but cn save e parents...

Tracy.tan

I chose to opt for it for my first born.... as I dont noe what might happened (touch wood in the future and maybi if I having 2nd one) I could jus use my first born stemcord cells if required (which I dont hope so)

Mine is stemcord ....I tink the diff of Stemcord & Cordlife is that Cordlife collection is only for one time usage... whereas Stemcord collection for 4 tubes stored at 2 diff places ... becos once withdrawn cannot be "re-use" again.

Thus, tat y I opt for Stemcord and it turn out that my decision is good...as my boy blood grp is AB+... which is not common blood grp... and that my 2 cents worth... Hee ...:Dancing_tongue:
Dee Ho,

Do you mind telling me how much Stemcord charge? Maybe a good idea to have 4 tubes for storage.

Tracy.tan

Tracy.tan

Dodo

Who should I approach if I want to donate to the public bank?

I am thinking hard whether I should store the cordblood or donate to public bank or totally forget about it.

Thanks

January84

Dee Ho,

Do you mind telling me how much Stemcord charge? Maybe a good idea to have 4 tubes for storage.

Tracy.tan
stemcord new registration fee is $1150 (w/o GST), currently having 20% promotion.

or if your gynae is Dr Caroline, the registration fee is $850.

annual fee is $250, can cease anytime.

if you are referred to sign up, the following year u pay $200

if you refer ppl, the following year u pay $150.

stv147

Alpha Male
Looking for referral for Cordlife, anyone interested pls email me at stvong@singnet.com.sg. Signing up their Christmas promotion with $500 discount until 20 Dec. First come first serve.. :) ** Thanks, got referral already **

Last edited:

pixy

Hello,

I would like to share that i have done cord blood banking. Being a 1st time mother, i really did not know the merits of cord blood banking. My gyane was the one who pushed me to consider it. I dont think she gets a commission from anyone, so definately trustworthy.

Here are the main reasons why i chose to do private cord blood banking:
1. Cord blood banking is the ONLY way safeguard my family's future health. Buying medical insurance will only cover the medical bill, it does not guarantee total recovery. Banking cord blood can ONLY be done at birth.
2. THere are so many uses of cord blood stem cells, and is growing by the day. There are 80 treatable diseases that can be cured by cord blood.
http://www.cordlife.com/sg/whybankcordblood/whybankcordblood.php?target=whysavecordblood&target1=treatablediseases

If you dont already know, there are only 2 players in private cord blood banking in Singapore. So i spent 2 saturdays attending their seminars. Of course, they both claim to be better than the other competitor in the market. So i had to do some research.

Why i chose CordLife:
1. their CordLife Quality Guarantee - It assures you of a cord blood replacement or a compensation of up to US$25,000 if the cord blood loses its viability at the point of transplant.
2. superior Sepax - automated cord blood processing technology
3. AABB accreditation. The ONLY private cord blood bank that has it in SG.
4. They are the only one who has a proven and successful track record.

Check out the Cordlife video:
http://www.cordlife.com/sg/aboutus/videoresource.php?target=singaporetvc

I know most parents think that doing private cord blood banking is EXPENSIVE. Have to spend so much money, when there are so many more things to spend $ on.

You can use the government's Baby Bonus to Pay for it!!! Yippee!!! That's what i did! So no cash out from me at all. Baby Bonus is free money anyway!

Do consider private cord blood banking and if you do so, choose CordLife.

hueychye79

Just sign up the Cordlife for my baby yesterday.

Total paid $963.00 include GST after deduct $50.00 because I have referel and FBI card $450.00. (I sign up at Thomson Medical Centre)

Just play safe rather than regret in future....

Anyone need referel, can just PM me.. :tlaugh:

stonston

I was doing my own research before I delivered in Jan 2007.

My conclusion was to either donate to public bank or not donate at all. Unfortunately, I was not able to sign up for public donation before I delivered, so we did not donate.

WHY NOT PRIVATE?
- You & your family only get to use what you have stored from your child. & you will need to bear all costs of testing for suitability. For public bank, the tests are all subsidized.
- You do not have priority to others' cord blood since you did not donate to public bank. By others, it not only mean within SG. If I recall correctly, SG has joined up with other countries to expand our pool of resources.
- You pay expensive premiums not knowing if you will get to use them or if what you stored will be viable by the time you need them.
- You never know when the company will close down.
- You are not able to transfer the cord blood that belongs to you to a public bank if you decide to stop payments. Which means you basically paid for nothing.
- When someone in your family really needs it, you'll be in a dilemma. To give it up or to keep it in case you/hubby/kids fall ill and need it. (Trust me, I've seen 2 of such cases already & there's alot of family politics because of this issue. If they had donated to public bank, they would not have this issue at all. You won't want this type of politics when the family should be focusing on looking after the patient.)

Btw, when I delivered, I saw my gynae push all the cord blood into my boy before he clamp the cord. I asked him why & he said that by doing so, the child will also be stronger & more resistant to illnesses. Similar to Jopeck, the cord was soft when my gynae cut it, unlike in the videos I saw online where they need to harvest the cord blood.

Then again, if I'm filthy rich, I wouldn't mind storing in private for 1 child & donating for the 2nd & 3rd child. Maximise your chances all around.

hakisumi

after meeting up with the stemcord executive, stemcord cos my gynae is 'tied up with them... the 1st time registration can be pay by the baby bonus scheme, (need to submit some form they require after child birth) den 2nd year is free..3rd year onwards is $250 per year, if u have referral, they ll rebate you $50. baby bonus can only pay till your kid 6 yrs old. after that you pay a annual fee of $250.u can choose to continue or stop the banking.... there's no limit to the banking.. it will be under the mummy's name.. i think its buying a assurance... plus can use the baby bonus..might as well...

joan~mummy

does anyone know how long we can store the cord blood...for lifetime? still torn btw whether we shd select private banking cos its quite ex, also have to make a one-time payment for e admin fees. but seems that cordlife ($800 + $250/yr) is cheaper than stem cord ($1280 + $250/yr). also notice that cordlife has a warranty in the event that the cord blood is lost or damaged.

sufeit0115

Any mummies kind to share what are the procedures to donate to public cord blood bank? Any cost involved? Do we have to undergo any test to certify before we can donate?

Ting

hi sufiet0115, if i rmb correctly, what happen is b4 u deliver, they will ask u to fill up a questionaire, mainly knowing if u hv any family history of certain sickness n your own health qns (like do u smoke all those thingy).
on the day u deliver, they will ask u to sign a form to acknowledge that u wan to donate your cord blood.
after u deliver they will collect the blood in the cord blood n take a small portion to do test on whether your cord blood is suitable for usage.
if it is, they will store it. if not, they will discard it.
i think when your bb is arnd 6 mths or something they will call u n ask u abt your bb's condition (seeing any defiency or sickness).
but for me, i dun rmb them calling me at all..
anyway, all info will be kept confidential, so even if your cord blood is used, no one will know its from u.

HTHs.

joeyz

Any mummies kind to share what are the procedures to donate to public cord blood bank? Any cost involved? Do we have to undergo any test to certify before we can donate?
No fee involved but like what Ting said, they will asked u a list of questionaire and also to fill up a form and consent form to be sign. On the day of your delivery, u bring the consent form to the labour ward and pass it to any nurse there, they will knw wat to do. Nurse will need to draw out 30ml of blood frm you. That's the only 'discomfort' u will encounter but if one can help to save lifes. It's worth it. :)

There is one nurse coordinator being assigned to you and she will do a follow up with you 2wks, 1 mth, 6mth to 1 yr (if i didnt rember wrongly) to check on you and baby doing. Subsequently, if you or baby develop any fever etc, must inform SCBB too.

It's totally free of charge whereby it was stored in the public bank and in future should you or any family member need to use it, you can contact the assigned doc (given on the consent form) to check whether your cord blood hv to release it to public, if not, they will draw it out and give it back to you.