Coughing

newbie2009

My son is currently 19months. He has been coughing for quite awhile. At least got 1-2weeks. The previous visit to the PD recommended that there is no cough mixture for kids. And that we should let the baby heal by itself. Lately he been coughing so badly that it is waking him up. Any mummies experience the same situation? As recommendation? Was thinking of giving him Woods cough syrup.

Divameow

My son is currently 19months. He has been coughing for quite awhile. At least got 1-2weeks. The previous visit to the PD recommended that there is no cough mixture for kids. And that we should let the baby heal by itself. Lately he been coughing so badly that it is waking him up. Any mummies experience the same situation? As recommendation? Was thinking of giving him Woods cough syrup.
i guess it is not wiseable to give him Woods. I remember my son has been coughing badly when he was about that months and we introduce to him 'robitussin' and he vomits out immediately. i would recommend you to take 'Prospan'. this medicine works well for my son even he is now going 2 1/2 years. but of cos, please check with your pediatrician before giving to your son. check this website out Prospan Cough Syrup. hope your son will recover soon.

diymummy

I suggest you bring your son to another doctor for a 2nd opinion.

My son has been coughing since 6 mths for a long time. He is given cough medication even when he visits the GP.

apollo

ya seek for 2nd opinion. cannot take cough syrup? just tt younger kids cannot take certain types of med,but doesnt means totally no med for them. =)

shopaholic

When my kids were coughing badly, they took cough medicine prescribed by the doctor. Dont understand why your doctor say there's none for children? I think it's good if the child can heal by himself but if I see his condition turning worse and it's causing him much discomfort, I will not hesitate to bring him to see a doctor.

Just to share, my 17mths old is having a cold now. I brought him to see a PD this morning and with medication, he's much better by the evening! Without medication, like the previous night, he was so unwell he kept fussing and clung to us alot. It made hubby and myself so worried and tired.

Ting

pin also gets her meds from the doc when she was coughing arnd 1 yo? i think u shld seek a 2nd opinion too!

liz2010

see an other doctor. Both of my 2 kids got medicine for cough when they were younger than yours. There are some medicines for infants and doctors will give the dosage according to the weight. So don't go and buy over the counter medicines as you don't know what dosage to give. And if the baby vomits straight away, usually it's because they don't like the taste or because they have lots of phlegm that tickle the throat. Don't let it get worse too long because it could become vey nasty. You don't want to see your baby in a hospital bed just because you didn't treat his cough.

reginaluxp

Hi, try giving your child NaturCare Colostrum+DHA Chew. I have been giving my boy and its been good. I have other mummies who have bought from me share with me that her child was having a bad cough and she bought all kinds of medicine etc to guardian pharmacist to let them recommend. And the pharmacist recommended her to give this colostrum+DHA chew too.

You can find the testimonial in this thread:
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f57/colostrum-dha-chew-healthier-kids-65682/#post534213

1 bottle 120's : $63
2 bottles @ $126 + Free Gift + Free Registered Mail

February

Hi, try giving your child NaturCare Colostrum+DHA Chew. I have been giving my boy and its been good. I have other mummies who have bought from me share with me that her child was having a bad cough and she bought all kinds of medicine etc to guardian pharmacist to let them recommend. And the pharmacist recommended her to give this colostrum+DHA chew too.

You can find the testimonial in this thread:
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f57/colostrum-dha-chew-healthier-kids-65682/#post534213

1 bottle 120's : $63
2 bottles @ $126 + Free Gift + Free Registered Mail

Hi,

Not sure if tis thread is still active. Like to check, tis product is suitable for children of which age group? I have search the web, but cannot find any write-up about the product except in tupperware website.

MamabbJ

My son has frequent coughs and can get phlegm easily aftet he turned 12 mths old. So far the paeds that we have seen have always prescribed cough mixtures. There is a mucolytic cough mixture called Vasican 5mg (bromhexine hydrochloride) which I find effective for my son which my paed prescribed. Nevertheless, you should check with your own paed before trying any medicine.

For me, a I learned something important: the frequent coughs was due to the fact my son was always sleeping on the mattress placed on the floor during the day and sometimes at night. There was this phase where he didn't want to sleep on the bed and could only sleep on the mattress on the floor. Although the mattress was thick and we thought the weather was not too bad/cooling, this was a bad idea. As soon as we stopped letting him sleep on the mattress, his cough subsided dramatically.

Now he still coughs occasionally but we try to avoid food that are too sweet or "cooling" for him. traditional chinese medicine also works for him when the symptoms are mild...

We have also tried changing milk formula, boiling nourishing soups, etc.to prevent/ease his cough...

Last edited:

animenendoroid

My son is currently 19months. He has been coughing for quite awhile. At least got 1-2weeks. The previous visit to the pediatrician recommended that there is no cough mixture for kids. And that we should let the baby heal by itself. Lately he been coughing so badly that it is waking him up. Any mummies experience the same situation? As recommendation? Was thinking of giving him Woods cough syrup.

missyqiqi

There is cough mixture for kids starting from 2 months onwards, u see if you are comfortable to give them at reduce dosage, u can check with the pharmacist. Does ur child cough comes wit phlegm? If have, u can reduce the milk powder scoop (about 1-2 scoop) with te same amt of water. it helps alot.

Speedy recovery to ur baby!!

flowerii

Hi mummies, i have a product that may help to improve your child's condition. It is not a drug and is totally natural. Suitable for all ages, from babies to elderly. And the best thing is it is not expensive at all. PM me if you would like to know more. :)

Rye

I gave manuka honey to my girl since 15 mths old. Shes now 17 mths. So far it seem to reduce amt of coughing. Her cough comes with mucous-y breathing but not phlegmy cough. Hope it helps.