Cramps in the calf

Rukia

While out walking yesterday, I suddenly felt a cramp in my left calf. Until this morning, the cramp seems to get worse. It was as though i ran a marathon.

Is this normal? How to relieve it?

chjean

Rukia i have these cramps in the middle of the night!!!! you have to stretch your leg but i guess it goes away in a short while.. don't know wha causes it..

Rukia

Mine happened while i was standing. Until now its still cramping..my hubby was asking if I was exercising in my dream as well...haha

feathers

I heard that magnesium and calcium help prevent or relieve some pregnancy cramps. Some say no reason and it's just a pregnancy symptom, some say is deficiency but no harm trying? =)

Fynn88

i get it too! super painful.
read up that there are some possible causes:
1. calcium/potassium deficiency
2. reduced blood flow due to uterus pressing on our blood vessels.

I try to up my calcium intake ( more milk and fish), potassium ( bananas) , and keep my calves warm at night by wearing socks!

I tend to get it in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping.

After which, I'll always try to stand up and place both my feet on the floor. It stops the pain immediately!

Of cos, you must make sure you can balance yourself and there is something for you to hold on to prevent yourself from falling.

MamabbJ

Yes, I got it too during my pregnancy. Sometimes on both legs at the same time esp. my calves! Super painful! Once it happens for that day, it can happen again within the same day for me.

Some newer studies show that magnesium rather can calcium helps in reducing leg cramps. So after reading, I took a calcium supplement that contains magnesium and Vit D during my pregnancy and it worked! No more cramps from my 2nd trimester onwards.