deposit issue

shunpei

Hi all, was wondering if anyone out here can't pay the ward deposit on delivery, what's the action the hospital gonna take? Wife edd is Oct 1st and we are getting b2 4 bedded. Deposit is $1350... Am really worry I can't save up on time...

RedDevil

shunpei:676220 said:
Hi all, was wondering if anyone out here can't pay the ward deposit on delivery, what's the action the hospital gonna take? Wife edd is Oct 1st and we are getting b2 4 bedded. Deposit is $1350... Am really worry I can't save up on time...
Which hospital is your wife going to deliver? I delivered in sgh and u might want to check with nurses. They have this financial counselling. The other time I was admitted due to dehydration ( bad morning sickness), the staff did asked want to pay in cash, credit card or on hold first until I received total bill then pay together.

JenniferK

Hope you wont be offended with my suggestion..

I would suggest that your dear wife gives birth at a govt hospital..pref KKH because its a women & childrens hospital and also the rates are affordable.

I delivered both my babies there. I did not have a specific gynae to attend to me and i chose a 5 bedder ward..treatment, care & concern from the dedicated staffs were the same.. :)

I did not have to prepare or fork out any deposit before or after my stay there..received the bill about a week later via mail and everything was deducted from Medisave..

Best wishes to you and your lovely wife during this amazing time..

God bless

Last edited:

shunpei

nuh

My wife is goin to deliver at Nuh which is a govt hosp. What u mention is the subsidized way which we din knw cos first time pregnant so we took the private way instead... We can't ever take 6 bedded nw... Very stress abt the $ nw...

Starla

If u are already having trouble paying for ward/delivery charges, what makes you think u can afford a baby?

myusha

Jus tell them directly dat u r afraid that u wont have enough cash to pay for the deposit... See how they can help u...u still gt around 3 months left... Try to save ard 450 per month shld be okay. If really can't den last choice is approach ur family members/friends borrow le

Starla

Well obviously you haven't thought far enough.. Having a baby already is very costly.. The cost of gynae consultations, supplements.. Then things that the baby will need.. Clothes, baby necessities etc.. Then comes vaccinations, milk powder.. And confinement... Add up the amount it's so much more than the mere $1000++.. Since u already have problem with saving up $1000++, u think u can afford the rest?? I don't blame you for your ignorance as u are first time daddy.. But obviously u are not doin enough for your little one.

MamaDT

Hi Shunpei

Try comparing the prices between Kkh and nuh. U still have time to choose where to deliver I think. Next, I think u need to check with the hospital admission nurses on the financial side asap so that u know what u have to do next.

Is there any subsidies for lower income family? Check out more on this yah =)

I think since u have chosen to be responsible daddy, if financial side is still high, think u need to borrow some $ from your relatives first and return them when u get a better pay job. =)

Three mths is short time to plan but there is enough time to check out on this if u action now.

shunpei

Thanks for the advice, was thinking of saving it in 2 months time in case wife give birth early, shouldn't be a problem but there always a "if" factor...

shunpei

Starla:676376 said:
Well obviously you haven't thought far enough.. Having a baby already is very costly.. The cost of gynae consultations, supplements.. Then things that the baby will need.. Clothes, baby necessities etc.. Then comes vaccinations, milk powder.. And confinement... Add up the amount it's so much more than the mere $1000++.. Since u already have problem with saving up $1000++, u think u can afford the rest?? I don't blame you for your ignorance as u are first time daddy.. But obviously u are not doin enough for your little one.
what u stated is a long term period not a one shot payment. Just becos I am afraid tat I can't save enough on time don't mean tat I can't support my family thru time. I choose to be a responsible dad and that's wat I'm gonna be, moreover this situation is base on 1 working parent. I am absolutely sure that my child will grow up with the needs he need.

shermyn

Don't worry about what ppl say. Initially I was a private patient too but decided to opt for subsidized in case of sudden c-sect or whatsoever. So I understand your situation now. I think it's because of all the scans n reports that's y the nurse say better to stay as private. Maybe you should tell them you want to change to subsidized? And also since the nurse say better stay as private means u have a chance to opt for subsidized too. Just ask k? If not,last resort is to borrow money first. :) jia you! At least u are thinking of solutions.

shunpei

shermyn:676413 said:
Don't worry about what ppl say. Initially I was a private patient too but decided to opt for subsidized in case of sudden c-sect or whatsoever. So I understand your situation now. I think it's because of all the scans n reports that's y the nurse say better to stay as private. Maybe you should tell them you want to change to subsidized? And also since the nurse say better stay as private means u have a chance to opt for subsidized too. Just ask k? If not,last resort is to borrow money first. :) jia you! At least u are thinking of solutions.
the nurse actually say if opt for sub the cost of ward is the almost same that's y we stay as private, thanks for the concern but i'll try to save for the nxt 2 mths... :)

RedDevil

shermyn:676413 said:
I agree with shermyn, talk to the nurse whether can opt for subsidized in case any unforeseen situation. For example, my baby cannot come out even by suction and I have to go through emergency c sect. Fyi my baby is quite small size but still he cannot.come out. I stayed in B1 for 5 days and my baby 7 days due to.jaundice. Total bill about $9k. Out of this $9k, $ 2320 is pay by cash, the rest deducted from my husband medisave.
Best talk to the nurse about it and I'm sure hospital won't be so mean. And I'm sure u r a responsible husband and father, otherwise u won't feel worried and looking for solution. All the best!

Starla

From the first time pregnancy has been detected, it is already a big bomb.. I dont understand y u took until 3 months prior to edd then start to panic about saving for the costs.. I'm saying all these because I had a rough time from my experience. Same as ur situation, my hubby was the sole breadwinner drawing $900 per month only.. He scrimped and saved hard the moment he decided to be a responsible dad.. We started with 0 savings. And with $900 salary before cpf, what's there left to save?? His hardwork paid off, and managed to get me to deliver at mt e 2 bedder..
What I'm trying to say is u can talk to the nurse, or ask for a loan, but this is not the solution to the root of the problem. Unless you be prepared (monetarily and mentally), otherwise more of such problems will be coming when your baby arrives..
Your determination sounds so reassuring..
good luck to you. God bless.

JenniferK

Hi shunpei

You dont have to wait till the next appointment..when you can,make the time to go down personally n have a chat with the admissions officer..he/she will guide you from there.

Just ask them..*my wife is 7-8mths along and currently paying private rates..can we OPT to go down to a govt polyclinic and get a referral letter from the doctor to be eligible for subsidised rates at the govt hospitals.*

If yes..then thats a blessing.just need to spend a couple of hours at the poly and obtain the letter. Once you have that letter in your hands and decide that you do not need a specific gynae then all your remaining checkups wil be subsidised..abt $40-$60/visit..forgotten ready..scans differnt charges.

When time comes for your wifey to *run* to the delivery ward, who knows when... ;)...you guys won't be so fearful and anxious about the bill as it will be covered by medisave..no deposits required if B2+ ward is selected..5 bedder.

Just have to ensure you have some cash on hand for a big bouquet of flowers for that scared lady who bravely delivered a healthy child.. :)

All the best..i myself ran tru a rough patch with financials when i had my baby..so speak to the right people and get help soon.

Focus all the positive thoughts and feelings to welcoming the new bundle..

Life throws us challenges to become better people..we live and learn.

Dont bother about sarcastic remarks or critism.You and your wife know the situation better. So inspired to read so many positive and encouraging advice and stories here shared by other members.

We wish you and your wife all the best and good luck in all the challenges ahead..;)

shunpei

Hi all, from reading thru all posted I am most determine that I can save up enough to see my wife thru. I just wan her to be more comfortable especially during this hard period of time. Thanks again for the many who shown concern insyallah we will have a healthy little one running ard mi :)