detail scanning @ 20weeks

norfen

hi, will be going for my detail scanning @ 20 weeks for my next appoinmt. Is it the same like the normal ultrasound scans before this, or issit 3D-ish?
what can i expect from the scan? anybody done theirs at tmc? how much does it cost?

CanCanMum

hi, will be going for my detail scanning @ 20 weeks for my next appoinmt. Is it the same like the normal ultrasound scans before this, or issit 3D-ish?
what can i expect from the scan? anybody done theirs at tmc? how much does it cost?
its like normal ultrascans except tat it take around 20-30mins, more liquids to apply, machines gets hotter etc...more pressure. They will check for the fetus spinal cord, gender, organs development, etc. Do rem to wear something easy to take off (like a slip on dress - knee length).

also if ur baby is sleeping u might need to wake him/her up to turn so tat they can check for all the areas required to be scanned.

tat time the nurse asked me to walk around for 10mins coz my boy was sleeping inside, 2 times still cannot wake up. So fed up i went toilet to shout "wake up leh..."

norfen

*lol*
really? so they will give us ample of time to 'wake' our baby up for the scan issit?
how long did it take for ur boy to wake up?

January84

cost around $100.

same as ultrascan, just that a detailed scan will be able to see blood flow, skull, organs growth, etc, just wear normally what u wear to visit your gynae can liao.

if BB is slp, put your plams one on each side on tummy and "shake" it to wake BB up...

January84

*lol*
really? so they will give us ample of time to 'wake' our baby up for the scan issit?
how long did it take for ur boy to wake up?

yes they will give u time one... but it realli depends on each individual BBs.. some take v. long like hours..

CanCanMum

yaya! Which is why i was so fed up....coz tat nurse keep popping her head outta the doorway everytime i pass by during tat 10mins and ask me "How?"

How? I canx jump to wake him wad...wad how...dumbass.

norfen

yaya! Which is why i was so fed up....coz tat nurse keep popping her head outta the doorway everytime i pass by during tat 10mins and ask me "How?"

How? I canx jump to wake him wad...wad how...dumbass.
hehe..can sense ur frustration. dunno how my turn will be like later. cuz i'm quite impatient. but heard that by drinking chilled plain water can sort of 'jump start' the baby from his/her sleep. but the hubster don't really like the idea of waking the baby up like that. he said its the same like someone throwing a glass of cold water to ur face to wake u up. *lol*

CanCanMum

huh? really?

but i was banned from taking cold water thruout pregnancy...pple say one.

anyway ok la, coz walking up and down doesnt work so i went toilet pee, den look in the mirror and talk to my boy to ask him wake up....hahaha...works fine worhz.

January84

hehe..can sense ur frustration. dunno how my turn will be like later. cuz i'm quite impatient. but heard that by drinking chilled plain water can sort of 'jump start' the baby from his/her sleep. but the hubster don't really like the idea of waking the baby up like that. he said its the same like someone throwing a glass of cold water to ur face to wake u up. *lol*

hahah, norm DHs are the one quite worried with our actions... hahaha...

for mine quite ok, both times no problem..

i found this information very interesting as i didn't know bb had to be "awake" for the scan !

so far, my scans have been taken, no problems. When i did my 20th week detail scan 2 weeks ago,
i didnt see the baby moving much. but the person said got movement...so whatever lah.

so when the bb is "awake", what difference does it make?
just curious...cos i thot "parts" can be scanned even if bb is sleeping, as long as everything is present can liao :tlaugh:

CanCanMum

Not really awake but its the sleeping position, coz if the baby sleeps in a position that blocks the organs to be scanned den have to wake them up or disturb them so tat they will turn.

ping26

I did my scan at TMC this morning! It cost ard $130. My bb was so active, bouncing, turning & swallowing. arms & legs moving. :wong15: non-stop action. Scan took abt 30-40 min.

they're checking for growth of bb such as length & size of bone, head circumference, location of placenta, as well as organ health e.g. hole in heart, excess fluid in brain, kidneys & stuff.

We found out we have a girl. :shyxxx:

Ping
1st time mum-to-be

norfen

I did my scan at TMC this morning! It cost ard $130. My bb was so active, bouncing, turning & swallowing. arms & legs moving. :wong15: non-stop action. Scan took abt 30-40 min.

they're checking for growth of bb such as length & size of bone, head circumference, location of placenta, as well as organ health e.g. hole in heart, excess fluid in brain, kidneys & stuff.

We found out we have a girl. :shyxxx:

Ping
1st time mum-to-be
thks for the info! i will be doing my 20-wk scan on this coming 17th at TMC too.
no gender preference, but oh well...that's what allll mommies will say, no? =p
but deep down, i'm sure all of us are pining on the hope that the baby will be of our preferred gender. can't wait to see if my baby's gonna play dress up with mommy, or kick soccer balls with daddy.
my prev. appointment, my baby clamped both legs shut. very shy. heheh.

norfen

weee....! I just got back from my detailed scan...and we're on TEAM PINK!!
=))

but there's one prob though... doc said my placenta is low-lying.. normally it would shift up as I go along lah, but she said if not, worse come to worse, I would have to go for c-sect when labour comes. I know I have plenty of time before labour, but it scares me nevertheless. Esp. when she said that the other risky thing would be, to experience bleeding at abt now, (20 plus weeks) and that would lead to miscarriage cuz of the low lying placenta...... =( anyone had low lying placenta before??

kenxf_03

weee....! I just got back from my detailed scan...and we're on TEAM PINK!!
=))

but there's one prob though... doc said my placenta is low-lying.. normally it would shift up as I go along lah, but she said if not, worse come to worse, I would have to go for c-sect when labour comes. I know I have plenty of time before labour, but it scares me nevertheless. Esp. when she said that the other risky thing would be, to experience bleeding at abt now, (20 plus weeks) and that would lead to miscarriage cuz of the low lying placenta...... =( anyone had low lying placenta before??

Hi Norfen,

So sorry to hear abt that. It sound so scary.. Hope it all goes well for you! God Bless!

JazzJewel

Hi all, me new in this forum. just wanna share a lil' regarding the detailed scanning.
besides those mentioned above, a detailed scanning will also tell you your Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI). That is also known as the water level in your water bags. Average falls within 11 - 21.

Anything below or above the average, i suggest you be more careful and discuss with you gynae on the effects. During my 2nd detailed scan, at 21weeks, my AFI was found to be low (8.7). Worse case scenario is that i may lose my baby as baby survives and develops from the nutrients in the water bags. Thank goodness with 3 wks of bedrest and water parade daily, my AFI rose back to normal again.

Hence, do take note of the AFI when doing your scans.

Cheers!

CanCanMum

oh really????

how come they din tell me last time???????

anyway i dink my AFI very high coz got lots of fluid, my waterbag gushed out before labour, whole floor wet....keep gushing out on my way to delivery suite.....den while labour still need to be burst by doc again, 2nd time gushed out....den give birth tat time still got water!!!! Dink must be super loads of water!!!!

hahahaha......