dialects..would u let ur kiddo learn??

jeSsie_Dz

just curious..
if u (mamis/dadis) would allow ur kiddo/s to learn dialect language??

source of learning can be from you,ur spouse or any other family members..

:)

mae

Jessie what dialect? Alexx knows my local dialect, the Filipino lang. & English, maybe soon chinese when she goes to school.

jeSsie_Dz

dialect as in others apart frm english and the mother tongue language..

for chinese,can b hokkien,teochew,cantonese.... etc..

for non chinese,can b the malay dialect,or as u say the phil ones.. :)

mae

Actually Alexx learned it by herself by listening to us...sometimes she is funny coz she mixed all in a sentence. hehehe then well, mommy is teaching the correct one otherwise she might think her sentence is right.

AugBoyz

why not? let them learn, coz even its a Speak English/Mandarin country, there are bound to have some pple speaking in dialects. At least in future he knows if some one is using dialect to scold him wahaha~

Happydays-shop

maybe will teach a little.
cos you wont know if that person scold you vulgar using their own dialect.
so no harm learn also to protect themselves. :)

Jasmine

I agree, let them learn more so that even if others use their dialects to scold them, they know what it means & not make a fool of themselves ...

sal

why not? let them learn, coz even its a Speak English/Mandarin country, there are bound to have some pple speaking in dialects. At least in future he knows if some one is using dialect to scold him wahaha~
like in France, we use hokkien to scold those cocky french..hee

I allow them to learn all languages, any dialects, even got my maid to teach them tagalog and Bahasa indonesian...as long as they are willing to learn..

jaynshar

I intend to teach my elder son dialect...but hor...till now he already hav prob speaking mandarin...so have to postpone my plan to teach him dialect.:rolleyes:

starry_jo

I'll teach my DS his dialect as its his roots ma..I mean English and Chinese can be learned in school but not dialects lor.. Most probably he will be learning Hokkien and cantonese (his nanny speaks that at home).

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
My hubby and i wanted the kids to know dialects so we made my in laws speak to them in Cantonese while we speak to them in English. my mum speak to them in Chinese while my grandparents speaks to them in Teochew.

It's a bit embarassing but My 4 yo son's Cantonese is better than mine :p I dun even know armpit in cantonese and he knew. *faint*

I think i like that they r exposed to various languages/dialects.

vodkager

i will also let my kiddo learn dialects.. sometimes in work, when u entertain, also need dialects mah.. if dun learn now.. old liao very hard to learn leh..

elfsg

I am fine with my girl learning dialect. which she is now as she is taken care by my mother in the day time when i am working. At least she can be exposed to different langauges... which is good

M

^Mami_Jazz^

Kids will pick up any languages naturally from the whoever they close with or vcd. We dun even know when they learnt fm. It can be hokkien, jap or malay. Some will learnt fm maids. i dun think i hv ctrl over it

LoVeS

I will teach both dh n mine dialect~ No harm learning it as long as dun use it to scold vulgar can liao :001_302:

cendrine

I grew up in an environment w/o dialects...

It was until in sec school that I picked up frm esp those vulgarities...hee

The rest was history when I started to work in the society.

I dun mind using dialects to my ger, but then my dialects oso half past six ...

Ting

don c why not...my dad n mum sumtyms oso add a bit of dialect in here n there...ok la, though kaipin don really get it yet..hehe.