Dilemma : Career/Children

EnFlor

Hello Mummies, (esp SAHM who used to work b4), what are some of your worries when u think that one day, you may return back to work.

The thing is, someone (in fact the CEO himself) offered me to work in his firm which handles regional medical matters. And it is a very good position. My brain tells me to just grab it and get back on career track but my heart goes out to my 3 young kiddos. (I will go back to work one day in just a matter of time/circumstances)

Just wanna know if there are really some SAHMs or even FTWMs who have this similar thought as i have b4. Hope that with your stories and experiences, i could see things from a different perspective.

What went through your mind ? What was your decision ? How did you feel after making that decision ?

jedamum

Hello Mummies, (esp SAHM who used to work b4), what are some of your worries when u think that one day, you may return back to work.

The thing is, someone (in fact the CEO himself) offered me to work in his firm which handles regional medical matters. And it is a very good position. My brain tells me to just grab it and get back on career track but my heart goes out to my 3 young kiddos. (I will go back to work one day in just a matter of time/circumstances)

Just wanna know if there are really some SAHMs or even FTWMs who have this similar thought as i have b4. Hope that with your stories and experiences, i could see things from a different perspective.

What went through your mind ? What was your decision ? How did you feel after making that decision ?
Last year and this year, my ex-boss offered me a chance to go back to work for him part time (i was doing part-time for 2 years before I quit). I can understand your dilemma. On one hand, I am worried about missing this opportunity to accumulate my retirement funds (and a good-paying part time job is hard to come by), but on the other hand, i am not ready as my boy is still too young and I have just embarked on my driving lessons. So i'm still a sahm now (crossing my fingers that I will be mentally ready to revert back to the workforce in time to come).

The thing is, being a SAHM can be addictive. We devote so much to our kids and spending almost each of our waking hours with them so much so that we can't imagine being away from them. So putting your kids aside, do you feel that you are ready to go back to the workforce - bearing in mind that at times, work, unfortunately, have to come before kids (eg doing OT, outstation). and yes..you need family support too...not only childcaring support, but support from husband/caregiver who will not label you as a lousy mum at times when you are not around when your kids needs you most (eg sick, separation anxiety).

Last edited:

EnFlor

thanks for your reply jedamum. Your words, 'we can't imagine being away from them.' kindda alerted me. Yes, i am still very much close to my children and want to be there for them in these initial stages of their growing up phase.

The lure of the full-time job prospect blindside me for a moment. I think for a start, i will start looking for a career that allows me to work from home, i could have the best of both worlds, perhaps.

Actually, i have all the home-support from my/his folks and spouse, if i were to get back to work. But after pondering over your insight, i realize that i am not mentally prepared to leave my kids in the hands of others.