Disappointed. Clinic of Dr Chin Lin Han

Angelinahonest

This is just to share my personal experience and to warn new mummies like myself.

My 1st visit to Dr Chen Lin Han at 6 weeks plus just a few weeks ago. Paid $220 for florxin ($7.50), duphaston ($42.50), consultation normal ($100) and US normal ($70). Expensive for a 10 mins visit! I guess the $100 is on ultrasound.

FIRST WARNING- The nurses appeared to be friendly but please be aware. My personal experience is bad with this FAKE, friendly but impatient old nurse (estimated in 50s, she wears glasses, tan, chinese aunty who always picks up the phone) who refused to explain to me in details what tests or package will be needed for my first trimester when I asked. She judged me, took advantage of me as my foreigner husband was with me. Also, later when I asked my other Singaporean friends around, I realized some clinics will not simply take advantage of us if we mention WHO recommended us to go there. It's best to have the mummy's name. For my case, I bluntly told her it was my first visit and knew the clinic after reading from forums like this one. There you go. I've learnt my lesson, and will only go for recommended gynae from my own friend/s.

Review on Dr Chen - Friendly, normal details, but spoke too fast. Personally it made me more nervous for my first visit that I forgot what I had to ask. I'll get a list of questions on your phone/paper for my next visit to another gynae. Secondly, I'm dissappointed Dr Chen sounded like a salesman when he highly suggested my husband to have a blood test to confirm something, even after I told him he's visiting his hometown which he can get it for free. But, good that at least, he later wrote down the tests needed to be done to make sure. Still, I already felt uncomfortable.

PS: I have doctor friends and families and trust me, I know those stories where doctors just out there to earn our money with unnecessary tests. I'm not saying Dr Chen is like that, but be aware of these facts.

WORST- After 10 mins (yeah, and I was charged a high $220), while waiting, the nurse told me I had to be back in 2 weeks time. Not for any test but just for the doctor to do ultrasound AGAIN! SERIOUSLY? DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID? My mum, sisters and other mummy friends warned that we don't need the scan this frequent at this early stage and it could potentially hurt the baby! A good gynae won't keep asking the patients to do that! This is a red flag for me.

Plus, I have already told the clinic nurses I am traveling during the time I'm supposed to take a test for Down Syndrome. The same nurse looked unhappy and said 'oh, the hospital there may not know what they doing'. Seriously? This is a first world country I'm going. IF I can't be back in time means I can't. These people are so desperate to earn my money I'm afraid.

That's why I'm here to warn all the mummies here. Be careful. Don't appear blur blur like me on my first visit and don't be afraid ask whatever needed. We pay, we have the right! The nurse even told me she won't tell mummies in general what tests to be done in advance, just by each visit, she'll then inform. Sounds like a good marketing and sales strategy but that's wrong in my eyes! We need to know and plan in advance, for time and budget to compare. More you wanna hide, more I find it suspicious. Wrong for me to be so friendly with her at the first place, I was taken advantage. I'll never go back there again. JUST NO WAY!

Last edited:

Jiashv16;

Hi all,
My gynae is Dr. Chen Lin Han. I read from forums also refer by my friend. Recently we both got our delivery.
The charges are explained clearly to us.
Cost is nominal here in Singapore compared with
hometown It'expense. I never refered for scans when not necessary.Detail Scan for 5 months, third trimester scan and consultation scan after then.
The pros is Dr Chen gave us details on baby growth, size, weight, position and is very certain and precise in words shared in consultation.
My husband took blood test initially.
The medicine is good enough to cover nutrient and suited to pacify abnormal occurrence if any.
I always got pro lacta DHA (omega3 fatty acid)capsules which I feel very essential for recovery and strength also for baby. I feel it saved a lot in post delivery period.

Last edited:

Jiashv16;

Dr Chen Lin Han is good choice for maternity women also when facing high risk pregnancy factors

Last edited:

Square

Same as me. I wasn't given time to ask questions, nurses avoided to explain to me the charges when I insist to ask them. consultation fee is same high everytime despite my subsequent visit. AND charged me $85 for a bottle of Centrum multivitamin men(for my husband), whereas it's US$19 online, what the hell???
He used to be good, don't know what happen now.

CatNipLover

Hi Mummies and Mummies-to-be, I am also seeing Dr Chen. I have also paid the same amount as thread starter and was arranged to go back to dr Chen 2 weeks later for another scan.

Understanding from my colleagues that private clinic usually have ultrasound scans for each visit. So I was already prepared for it.

Yes. Dr Chen speak very fast but he is not like this for the subsequent visits. Yes. The nurse avoid explaining on the phone. Instead, they explain to me when i approach them at the counter, despite being busy.

sqmummy

My gynae is also Dr Chen and I delivered recently.

My first impression was not good too. Almost change clinic. But actually mummies should go few times to try. If the pills are expensive, mummies can go to pharmacy to purchase their own.

Even though the consultation charges are high, we feel safe with Dr Chen taking care of me during my pregnancy and delivery. and my csect wound healed very well. now cant even see i have a wound.

The aunty with specs is actually very nice person once you know her.

belle123

My gynae is also Dr Chen and I delivered recently.

My first impression was not good too. Almost change clinic. But actually mummies should go few times to try. If the pills are expensive, mummies can go to pharmacy to purchase their own.

Even though the consultation charges are high, we feel safe with Dr Chen taking care of me during my pregnancy and delivery. and my csect wound healed very well. now cant even see i have a wound.

The aunty with specs is actually very nice person once you know her.
i went a few times already but Dr Chen is still brushing away my concerns & questions!! really don't like his attitude so far.

ClashOfClan

We visited the clinic referred by a friend, however, I am truly disappointed with the service of the nurses and doctor.

1. First of all, the nurses (aunties) are blurry in terms of their services. They didn't explain charges clearly and unable to arrange an appointment effectively. Besides, they even bitch about us IN FRONT of us by using Hokkien language. Unfortunate for them, I am able to understand !!!! WORST nurses I ever experience in my life !

2. Secondly, we visited the clinic since Feb and delivery due in July. Horrible experience is they told us in May that Dr. Chen will going on holiday leave during the weeks during the due date, and request us to look for another doctor. ONLY 2 months left, and you ask me go find another doctor???? This is irresponsible !!! As far as I understand the normal protocol for leave planning, private doctor normally will plan 6 months ahead. If they knew this earlier, why didn't share with us until we go for check-up for so many times with him !!!! This is WORST experience ever !!!

3. Thirdly, the check-up is only last less than 10 mins each round, and didn't explain details like baby size, weight, etc. All explanation with only 1 phrase - everything is good. When we asked further, the doctor just said - "I did explained to your earlier with a unfriendly tone". I don't get it why you charge consultation fee each visit if this is how you treat your customer.

In summary - HORRIBLE and HORRIBLE and HORRIBLE. Now I need to find another doctor that willing to take charge because delivery due soon. I'm extremely unhappy with the quality of services provided.

Mummyof3boys

Hi

I’ve had 3 babies delivered with dr Chen. All via natural birth. I would say doc Chen is the best doc I’ve heard and seen so far. He is calm and experience. He even answer my called in the middle of the night and rush down to the hospital to see me when I had bleeding and pre pregnancy contraction.
He will only sent u for checkup and blood test if he thinks that you have to( maybe due to ur family history?)
I was anemia for all my 3 pregnancies and he monitored me closely making sure that I all my 3 babies are delivered healthy

Mummyof3boys

On and on. I would say doc Chen is a gd doc. Anyone who wants a natural delivery should go to him. Seldom I hear de Chen’s patient goes for cave.

Angel

This is just to share my personal experience and to warn new mummies like myself.

My 1st visit to Dr Chen Lin Han at 6 weeks plus just a few weeks ago. Paid $220 for florxin ($7.50), duphaston ($42.50), consultation normal ($100) and US normal ($70). Expensive for a 10 mins visit! I guess the $100 is on ultrasound.

FIRST WARNING- The nurses appeared to be friendly but please be aware. My personal experience is bad with this FAKE, friendly but impatient old nurse (estimated in 50s, she wears glasses, tan, chinese aunty who always picks up the phone) who refused to explain to me in details what tests or package will be needed for my first trimester when I asked. She judged me, took advantage of me as my foreigner husband was with me. Also, later when I asked my other Singaporean friends around, I realized some clinics will not simply take advantage of us if we mention WHO recommended us to go there. It's best to have the mummy's name. For my case, I bluntly told her it was my first visit and knew the clinic after reading from forums like this one. There you go. I've learnt my lesson, and will only go for recommended gynae from my own friend/s.

Review on Dr Chen - Friendly, normal details, but spoke too fast. Personally it made me more nervous for my first visit that I forgot what I had to ask. I'll get a list of questions on your phone/paper for my next visit to another gynae. Secondly, I'm dissappointed Dr Chen sounded like a salesman when he highly suggested my husband to have a blood test to confirm something, even after I told him he's visiting his hometown which he can get it for free. But, good that at least, he later wrote down the tests needed to be done to make sure. Still, I already felt uncomfortable.

PS: I have doctor friends and families and trust me, I know those stories where doctors just out there to earn our money with unnecessary tests. I'm not saying Dr Chen is like that, but be aware of these facts.

WORST- After 10 mins (yeah, and I was charged a high $220), while waiting, the nurse told me I had to be back in 2 weeks time. Not for any test but just for the doctor to do ultrasound AGAIN! SERIOUSLY? DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID? My mum, sisters and other mummy friends warned that we don't need the scan this frequent at this early stage and it could potentially hurt the baby! A good gynae won't keep asking the patients to do that! This is a red flag for me.

Plus, I have already told the clinic nurses I am traveling during the time I'm supposed to take a test for Down Syndrome. The same nurse looked unhappy and said 'oh, the hospital there may not know what they doing'. Seriously? This is a first world country I'm going. IF I can't be back in time means I can't. These people are so desperate to earn my money I'm afraid.

That's why I'm here to warn all the mummies here. Be careful. Don't appear blur blur like me on my first visit and don't be afraid ask whatever needed. We pay, we have the right! The nurse even told me she won't tell mummies in general what tests to be done in advance, just by each visit, she'll then inform. Sounds like a good marketing and sales strategy but that's wrong in my eyes! We need to know and plan in advance, for time and budget to compare. More you wanna hide, more I find it suspicious. Wrong for me to be so friendly with her at the first place, I was taken advantage. I'll never go back there again. JUST NO WAY!

Angel

I have seen Dr Chin at his Chong pang clinic few times around 2015-16 and found him friendly. However, this year when I saw him for some Gynae issues, he was a completely different man. I went twice and he is now very unfriendly, in a rush to see. He does not even give me a chance to explain my issues, asks me to lie and starts his tests, then goes on to prescribe medicines. I find him getting irritated when I ask something. I don’t see myself walking out satisfied. Would not recommend him now.

nwqqq

Hello everyone I saw this thread while googling for Dr Chen's schedule for my our baby number 2, I read and understand some of your frustrations with his "hello hello scan scan bye bye" attitude, so I took the trouble to register here to share our personal experience on our first born back in 2016 with you.

If he hello hello scan scan bye bye with you, congratulations your baby is doing great! I suggest you download the app "What to Expect" on your phone and read up.

We all know he is a hot stuff, so naturally he cannot sit down and chit chat with you much. I remember going to his Yishun clinic at 7am to queue for my appointment every month, for him to pop in at 9am, sometimes 10am, sometimes 12pm. For those who are wondering, yes we do go in and receive the "hello hello scan scan bye bye" treatment every month. Our record was less than 5 minutes in and out.

My wife and I are happy go lucky and positive people, so we actively pay attention to his machine gun advice and leave. Expensive or not we did not know, it was our first kid, so we just paid and said "wah gynae good money, make sure our kid becomes a gynae next time".

2 months before EDD at 29 weeks, we went to watch a 2016 Euro cup game and we were so high from our bets that night, my wife woke at 8am feeling unwell. We went down to Yishun and the moment he saw my wife, he changed into a totally different person. He told us that she was entering pre-term labour and contractions were starting. His priority was then to reverse this process and ensure she does not deliver prematurely. He made a call, scribbled scribbled, asked us to take the letter and go to Mount A immediately.

Within an hour we were checked in, with the hospital at full capacity, my wife had to be in the observation ward. The rest of the process I cannot remember, it went by in a blur, but she was stabilised in about 2 - 3 hours? This ended up to be a 2 nights chalet for us in the observation ward, but we kept our kid in with a $2,500 hole in our pockets. Our winnings from the Euro 2016 game was not enough to cover it.

Dr Chen visited us 3 times during our stay in Mount A. Each time looking at the charts and assuring us that the baby and wife are fine. What time did he visit? Always after 8pm, staying about 5 minutes as usual. His nurse also visited us twice during our stay.

Staying in the observation ward allowed me to also discover something else. That his day does not end after your gynae visits. He has C-Sects on each night of our stay, if I recall correctly, like 2 - 3 per night? It was written on a big whiteboard somewhere.

My wife went into official contraction at 36 weeks, around 11pm. We automatically checked into Mount A ourselves and the nurses there informed Dr Chen about it. He noted it and asked them to inform him when she is ready to push. So we spent a night in the delivery ward, where I remembered there were about 8 or 9 delivery rooms? More than half of them had Dr Chen's name as the gynae, I went in to tell my suffering wife about it and reminded her again that our kid needs to be a gynae in future.

Dr Chen came in at 8am the following morning with a smile and said my wife was about to be ready. He looked at everything and said he will be back in 5 minutes and went whistling away, the happiest I have ever seen him. The pushing took 10 minutes before my son came out, with Dr Chen being super encouraging along the way and super fast in stitching my wife up.

In conclusion of this long post, I want to share that:
1. I am still willing to share Dr Chen with everyone else, so I will still be willing to sit down and wait for him every appointment to hello hello scan scan bye bye
2. He was there when we needed him the most, at lightning speed and extreme clarity
3. From my experience, it seems like his typical day starts before his Yishun clinic opens and does not end till around 10pm?
4. He was worth every single cent of our hard earned money
5. The receptionist / nurse I know could be quite fierce / monotonous / attitude some may say, but aunties are generally like this lah, my mother and mother in law also like that.

I guess some mummies or daddies to be (especially first born) feels the need to have everything answered. If so, Dr Chen is probably not for you. There are probably less busy gynaes out there who can fulfil your needs and wants to have questions answered. Personally for us, he was clear enough at each visit.

Cost wise I must say yah lah not cheap. We spent a lot of money on him. But what price is the right price for a pair of trustworthy, stable hands to deliver your newborn? I cannot answer on your behalf.

If you have anything to ask me, feel free to do so, I shall do my best to respond to you, but my memories of each visit are very vague. I only remember I waited and waited, paid and paid.

Now, can anyone tell me if his Yishun clinic is still operating or he is now permanently based in Mount A? I am hoping to visit on Monday and can only see his Mount A clinic operating information from Google.

Cheers!

Last edited:

YasJas

Hi everyone, thought of sharing my experience with Dr Chen! I delivered with him last year. His clinic is located at mt alvernia & Yishun Chong pang. I visit the one at Yishun, it's a small clinic which can get little congested with less seats available at times. Nevertheless, for me, I wanted my gynae to assure me that he is confident and is aware of what is doing. After first few visits, I developed the trust in him. He always greets me with a cheerful face. Yes, he is busy so he can sound little hurried but he ensures to answer your queries in the nicest way possible without sulking. He even tells me to take picture or video of the 3D scanning shots.

As I neared my labour, my water bag was leaking at 38 weeks. He suggested I should get induced the next day morning at mount Alvernia. I was so nervous and anxious about this as it was my first time going for this.

He induced me in the morning but till late night I was not dilated. He could have simply booked a C-section for me. But he told me since baby is doing well, not to worry and we will wait to go for normal delivery. So the next day morning 7am he induced me again and pricked my water bag when I was 2cm dilated to speed up the process. Thankfully I made progress and by late afternoon he delivered my baby effortlessly. I also felt motivated when he kept saying "you are doing good mummy!"

I would like to share with everyone that my other friends from govt hospitals shared that when they were not progressing, their gynae pushed them for C-section saying their schedule is packed & no rooms available to wait & see etc.. I'm thankful Dr Chen encouraged me to go for normal delivery despite the long wait.

He is very friendly yet very busy too thus can look tired & agitated when you visit him, as his day starts super early at 7am at the hospital checking on his warded patients, Thereafter, he'll be at the Chong pang clinic till noon. Then he rushes off to his another clinic at mt Alvernia & till late night he is on duty whenever his patients need him!

I'm going to deliver my next baby with him too as I know he takes care of my welfare. I would definitely recommend him to other mummies too if you are willing to pay the price for his service.

Last edited:

MyAngelBaby

Sorry for the long post but I had to... please read it if you ever want to engage in Dr Chen's services.

Overall, BAD experience!

My experience with Dr Chen Lin Han was the worst ever. This was solely my experience and I probably was at the wrong place at the wrong time as my life took an absolute 360 turn thereafter. I did some research before making an appointment at his clinic. Both clinics situated at chong pang(which is near my place) and Mount Alvernia. Despite a couple of negative reviews on him, I still went ahead as I saw some of them recommending him for his pro normal delivery techniques and mentality.

Mine was deemed as a complicated pregnancy. After years of ttc and 1 failed ivf, I conceived on the 2nd ivf treatment done at a govt hosp. I immediately made an appt with dr chen for follow up checkups and for him to take over our treatment as a gynae.

His clinic is very packed with patients of different age groups. Waiting time was acceptable as he's a very fast paced dr, be it from the way he does his scans and the way he talks.

My experience during each appointment was as fast too. Before the door closes behind me, he has already started talking. I have not even registered what he had said and there I am being rushed to the chair to lie down to get my scan done. He puts just a tinnie bit of gel at my lower abdomen and does 2 to 3 swipes around it, says the baby looks great, has good heartbeat and good size. Done! And he starts yacking away again when I've not even pulled up my pants. He asked us if we had any questions but when we asked something, he abruptly and impatiently answers. Which makes us wonder if we should be asking anything at all. As 1st time parents we thought that this was how it's usually done and we should just follow as we trusted his expertise.

After 3 successful scans, we finally did a nipt test which was done on my 11th week. The results came in on the 13th week. The results changed our whole lives as our baby girl was diagnosed with turner syndrome. If you had asked us what that was, my husband and I would not have been able to answer as that was how shocked and clueless we were when dr chen told us about it. Actually he wasn't telling, he was rushing through his speech. His exact words were, "ok good news and bad news, good news is that your baby has no Downsyndrome. Bad news is that your baby has TURNER syndrome cos of a missing X chromosome. But don't worry your baby will be normal, can go to school normally, just that she will be abit short, with webbed neck, short fingers and won't be able to conceive in future as she will be infertile. So you decide if want to keep or not. Mummy how? In the end you must make the decision. So how, mummy?"
And there my husband and I in total shock, trying to process and comprehend the whole scenario. I would have almost passed out there and then as getting to where we were took us what seems like a whole lifetime! My husband was so confused by his speech that he could even ask the dr if this is a boy or a girl he was talking about. He was that fast and unsympathetic. All my husband said after that was, "we will consider" and we both left the room.

We went out of the room and googled what turner syndrome actually was and I ran out of the clinic unable to breath and broke down so badly like I haven't done in my entire life. We weren't even given other options of any other tests that could be done. It was just a do or die situation we were in.

My husband broke the news to our parents and the whole situation was as devasting as it could get. Without delaying, my SIL booked an immediate appointment with another doctor from the govt sector. The very next day we got the scan done with this particular dr. Her scanning was so thorough and different and made me feel like what dr chen did for me all these while was just an overall and quick scan which didn't rule out the severity of the problem which could have been detected from the start.
While this govt doctor was doing my scan, she got so agitated and angry asking me who did my previous scans and it could have been detected much earlier even before the blood test. The amniocentesis test was not even necessary as we could tell that our baby wasn't doing well at all. She will not even be able to last through full term and I cannot bare to see my baby suffering now and in the future.

Due to this late detection, pass 12 weeks, now I have to go through a medical termination of pregnancy as I'm going to be on my 15th week due to all these unreliable techniques of Dr Chen, I strongly believe. This is not even going to be the surgical one which I will be sedated. Now I have to be admitted and literally go through the pain and agony to give birth to my baby girl at 15 weeks. The thought of carrying my baby girl knowing that I will have to let go of her soon in such a way is traumatising and no parents should ever go through such a scenario. If ever you have any doubts on any gynae, pls seek for a 2nd opinion ASAP.
I wish all expecting mothers out there a wonderful pregnancy and enjoy the experience with proper care. Lotsa loveeee, MyAngelBaby.

ZaydenBrady

Why are American clinics so expensive? My brother paid almost 65 thousand dollars, although nothing serious happened to him.