DIY Flash Cards

Edwinie

I intend to create my own flash cards of alphabets, numbers, common words etc etc.

The way I'm going to do is to find pictures on google or take photos of people/items that my son see everyday and put them in a picture file with its name in english and mandarin. After printing the picture on A4 size paper, i'm going to laminate it.

Does anyone have a different way of making DIY flash cards? i need more ideas!

thanks!!

stonston

Laminating is too exp. I print direct on good quality flashcards (300gsm) using laser color printer. DIYed a total of 1300 cards for my boy and he loves them :)

Edwinie

i was thinking if i'm simply printing them on paper, would it spoil easily? i've not checked out how 300gsm paper is like yet. going to check it out soon i hope.. too caught up with work.

did you print on A4 size? i don't know what is the optimum size.

stonston

I specially ordered the cards from paper supplier. Cheap and very good quality. 300gsm is very thick, like card, so it won't spoil easily. But must check if your printer can take such thick paper or not.

I'm using 11" by 6". Good for words (3" tall). For pictures I print them 4" tall. It's big so your pictures gotta be high res.

Edwinie

i'm thinking of asking around to rent a laser color printer. at least it's cheaper than printing shops, i hope.

okie, i'll see around for it.

thanks for your advise!! =)

stonston

Actually, it depends. When I printed, we managed to get a demo set from Minolta. So we only had to pay for the toner (first set was free). Now when I add on, I bought a HP colour laser to print at home. Now colour laser printers are very cheap compared to last time (min $1k in the past, now $300 can get a decent one already).

atkht

May i know the correct way to use flashcard? To read the word and flash the card in front of the baby and must be at real fast speed is it? i am using some vanguard sheets to do flashcards, words only.. is it good enough?

stonston

There are many different methods to flash the cards and how you do it really depends on their age & whether your kid can focus.

When mine was younger, it was fast flashing.
Now that he's older, we do more activities with the cards than flashing.

Kiwimelon

Hi Stonston,

May i know where u ordered the cards from? Do u mind share the contact of the paper supplier?
Wow...u made 1000+ DIY flashcards, so where u get those info to print from? I'm interested to learn how to diy flascards for my 4mth baby.

snowee

Actually, it depends. When I printed, we managed to get a demo set from Minolta. So we only had to pay for the toner (first set was free). Now when I add on, I bought a HP colour laser to print at home. Now colour laser printers are very cheap compared to last time (min $1k in the past, now $300 can get a decent one already).

Hi, may i know where you buy the blank cards and is it very expensive to print flashcards yourself... i mean the toner colour run out very fast since you are printing full colour print...

thks

sarat

Hi Dear,

I have been using a xerox colour printer to print because it has the best color resolution and I use 300gm paper and cut them into A5 size to use them on my kid.

Currently I am sending my kid for Shichida classes in Springleaf Tower.

But honestly making and printing "shichida" flash cards plus looking for pics are taking too much of my time.

But recently my daughter's classmate's mum recommended me www.rightbraineducationshop.com.
It's an online right brain flash cards library.

They have more than 10,000 flashcards and whole lot of other stuff.

Maybe you should consider them.
Can be very tiring to DIY flash cards.

I have sign up with rightbraineducationshop.com about a month already. I am very very happy with
the variety they have and also the topics they have.

They have multi dots, addition, subtraction.... picture flash cards, vocabulary flash cards, mandala etc.
Maybe you should also consider.

Hi

I have excess blank flash cards 350gsm.
Letting go 100 pcs per set at $8. I think Shichida is letting go at $11 per set.
Pick up. Let me know if interested.

Ally Tan

Hi Sarat

is the website really good?
i'm kinda of hesitant in paying monthly.
Hi,

I sign up with Right Brain Education Shop - 1st & World's Largest "Right Brain" E-Library for Shichida Method, Heguru & Glenn Doman, they now offer $149.90 per year. Which is $12.50 per month.
My Shichida friend recommended me. So far I am happy.
Last time I spend 90% of my time looking and color printing flash cards for my kid.
Now I don't have to.
I am a working mom. So it sure save me time.
I highly recommend it!:Dancing_tongue:

Ally Tan

Hi Felicity,

Thanks for the link!
But I kinda have most of this flashcards which I DIY them sometime ago.

I have also gone to Popular and other websites. there are lot of choices out there BUT
you will see a lot of "apple", "boy", "cat" and "dog". Every cards available in the market looks the same
and have similar topics.
I have about close to 1000 flash cards and I have ran out of ideas.

Anyway this www.rightbraineducationshop.com is the best I can find.
Also it have various different speed I can use to flash. Shichida say we
much per card less than 1 second.
And I find it very difficult to flash that fast.
Would be nice if any mothers can give any comments.
This is my 2 cents worth.

felicity

Welcome Ally :)

I found the free flash cards but I have not start making and I feel so clueless abt how to go about flashing the flash cards. How to get bb to sit down n focus? How old should we start?

i am starting to do e flash cards to my 9months old boy.

i will try to do it when i am playing with him.
den i will flash like maybe 10 or lesser at one time.
you will see that he is looking at it den i will continue.
if he is distracted den i stop.

another good way is after he has eaten and is still sitting on the high chair.

dun be too ambitious and start too many cards at the beginning.
i read we have to slowly build up their interest..
and get as many real pictures as possible.

that's my opinion... :)

welcome more ideas on how to improve... :):)

MsCarpeDiem

Hi,

I am looking for 1-2 persons to spree blank diy flashcards from hiap moh so as to qualify for free transportation. Collection point is Bishan St 22. Is anyone looking to buy 1 or 2 sets from Hiap Moh where Bishan is a convenient collection point?

Just to give an idea:

1 set of A4 gives 900 pieces, A5 gives 1800 pieces. Glenn doman cards specifications gives 600 pieces.

Each set of 1 side glossy, 1 side matt cards at 300 gsm is $52+gst. For A5 cards, this works out to $0.03 cents or so per card which is very cheap.

Feel free to consolidate with your friends to reach the quantity required per set. Alternatively, you can also mix different sizes of blankcards within 1 set (e.g 50% A4, 50% A5) but each additional size requirement within a set is additional $6+ gst.

This spree will close with a payment deadline of coming Sunday 14th July 2013 or earlier (if payment for 2 sets is received earlier) as I will be making a cheque for our combined purchases to send to hiap moh on the 15th July. No payment, no purchase.

Please PM me with all enquiries (as I will not be looking at this thread) before Thursday 11th July 2013 as hiap moh does not operate on Saturday and Sundays and I need to give hiap moh time to respond to your enquiries.