Do scan really confirm baby gender?

qsal

I'm a 1st time mummy.Very excited when i get to know my baby gender but then my sis in law tell me bout her experience(many yrs ago) scan mis predict the gender of her baby.Scared after telling people then got mistake more paiseh.i noe now tech very good but sometimes got mistakes also hehe
Only go for scan once will go again in 4 weeks time.

Nisah

hi...for bothmy kids the ultra scan show the rite gender in 20 weeks nt earkier than that...unless ur baby is turning the other way round then they cant tell u the rite gender.....gud luck...tc

raeka

I had a scanning when was 20wks.
to me is accurate as my gynae show me the tail of my boy. ^^o

glühwürmchen

from what i know, scans do not confirm the sex of the baby. only if the doc does see the tail then he can confirm that the baby is male. if he cannot see, he'll tell you most probably is female. so depends on the position of your baby and if he is blocking his tail or not.

PinkDiamonds

Scans are not 100%, just like ur OSCAR tests. Mistakes can happen.

Sometimes a girl might be mistaken for a boy because a finger or umbilical cord was there. My gynae actually made sure my girls hands were not there before she checked the nether region.

Also a boy may be mistaken for a girl because the penis is not obvious yet. I remember my gynae double checked again the gender when I saw her at 24 weeks, and she said yes 80% is girl. :)

CanCanMum

some very experienced gynae can tell yr fetus is a boy or girl if the position is right, even before the detailed scan, my gynae was able to tell me mines a boy boy at 16weeks........hahaha actually i expected a gal lehhhh (Hubby quite sad haha)

So when it was 20weeks detailed scan, i more or less oredi knew

boys are easier to be detected coz of their physical "properties" haha

but i heard before some gynae made mistake in their baby gender, so, yeah it happens i guess:001_302:

Last edited:

Phoebii Cheng

My gynae scan for my son was accurate at 20 weeks...but not for one of my hubby's colleague's wife, the scan showed a girl then before birth says that it is a boy, he was disappointed cos' wanted a girl

CanCanMum

sO horr, since scans are not 100% accurate, beta buy some bi-gender clothes first haha, in case got mistakes boys no need to wear pink and gals no need to wear blue

colours like white and light cream or yellow both genders can wear ~~~

thepinkdot

i did some research.. and to confirm the gender.. even if its a girl.. they need to see 3/4 lines.. means must be able to see va-jay-jay then they tell you its a girl!

qsal

my scan was not done by the gynae but the person at antenatal monitoring place. hopefully that lady is good cos i'm so excited i bought so many blue clothes LoL

PinkDiamonds

i did some research.. and to confirm the gender.. even if its a girl.. they need to see 3/4 lines.. means must be able to see va-jay-jay then they tell you its a girl!
Yah, I had a very clear view of my girl's vagina at 16 weeks. My gynae even told me that this is the vulva, so that's how she confirmed it's a girl.

TANZHENZHI

I think it's not 100% confirm. :) I did my test at 5months and the doctor can see it's a boy. So mine is accurate haha..

paperger85

Like what you mentioned, its many years ago. Many years ago, my mom didn't know she was having twins until she was in her sixth month.

qsal

when i did my scanning, she never tell me anything
she just put the lubricant press here,there,
then i ask her can see the gender,she say it's a boy
i already so blur cos 1st time mummy,i don't even know what i see at the screen
stupid me,too concentrate on the screen until don't ask questions haha

CanCanMum

When i did mine, she did explained which parts are which part, and the organs, head, spine, stomach, kidneys etc etc, and it was about 30mins long, and my boy wasnt co-operative coz he was sleeping facing us the other way, so she asked me walk around and wake him up for scanning lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz

after the entire process i feel tummy was a bit hot though, coz of the machines pressing there for so long.

anyway i canx rem wads the name of the person conducting the anomaly scan at 20weeks? Anyone noes?

PinkDiamonds

When i did mine, she did explained which parts are which part, and the organs, head, spine, stomach, kidneys etc etc, and it was about 30mins long, and my boy wasnt co-operative coz he was sleeping facing us the other way, so she asked me walk around and wake him up for scanning lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz

after the entire process i feel tummy was a bit hot though, coz of the machines pressing there for so long.

anyway i canx rem wads the name of the person conducting the anomaly scan at 20weeks? Anyone noes?
Sonographer?

Frenchkitty

for me, at 16 weeks scan is show boy.. at 20-week scan also boy.. and before my 2nd tri I every night dreamed of having a baby boy and it's TRUE :tlaugh:

CanCanMum

for me, at 16 weeks scan is show boy.. at 20-week scan also boy.. and before my 2nd tri I every night dreamed of having a baby boy and it's TRUE :tlaugh:
i actually tot mine was a gal hahhaa

but same, my normal scan at 16 weeks checkup gynae confirmed its a boy, and he immed congratulate my mum for having a grandson :p