do u let yr baby watch tv?

pkshl

my boy loves to watch cartoons on playhouse disney(starhub ch34).whenever theres music, he will sit in his walker & watch quietly or will 'stand' & shake his butt when he's excited.

i was wondering for his age(8mths+) iszit too young for him to watch tv?

my colleague juz told me her 5yrs old son might need to watch glasses cos he always watch tv very near. im worried abt my boy cos at times when we are not lookin, he can go very near to the tv.

eissacsirhc

my 1yr old daughter likes to watch hi 5 also and will hum n dance along to the music.. i think abit of tv is quite ok juz make sure ur baby sits a safe distance away from the tv i guess.. =)

Goldiemum

I think watching TV is okay but need to accompany your baby and talk to him while watching the programme together. It is very important not to use the TV to babysit and not to let him sit too close to the TV. I have a friend whom uses the TV to babysit his son while she does her own things and realise later when her son goes to childcare that her son can't speak in full sentence only single words while other kids of his age can do so already.

pkshl

I think watching TV is okay but need to accompany your baby and talk to him while watching the programme together. It is very important not to use the TV to babysit and not to let him sit too close to the TV. I have a friend whom uses the TV to babysit his son while she does her own things and realise later when her son goes to childcare that her son can't speak in full sentence only single words while other kids of his age can do so already.
yr friend's son sound like my nephew. he's coming 2yrs old but duno how to talk yet cos no 1 talk to him during the day as my MIL is his main caretaker.she uses the tv to babysit him while she do her chores.

mmm..my boy will only be interested in musical parts during tv shows, like when theres song, my hubby says our boy only watches the start & end of the program, other den that he doesnt seem much interested in the cartoon.

but i will also worry when he tends to go too near the tv. mayb i will reduce his watching tv time.

diymummy

I only let my son watch his "Baby can read" DVD. I don't let him watch TV. I also read that be it educational DVDs or normal TV to only allow them to watch it for max of 30min. The reason being that images change very fast on normal TV and this might cause focus problems later on. It's like kids who're very into comp games, they usually have short attention spans and bad memories.

Phoebii Cheng

Yes let my son watch TV if I want to do my stuff and normally he watch one hr TV everyday

Cos my son is in CC, no TV....

But so far, whenever my son goes too near the TV, I tell him to move back and count to 3, if he does not move back, will off the TV, so far this method works, now when I tell him to move back, he will auto

pkshl

Yes let my son watch TV if I want to do my stuff and normally he watch one hr TV everyday

Cos my son is in CC, no TV....

But so far, whenever my son goes too near the TV, I tell him to move back and count to 3, if he does not move back, will off the TV, so far this method works, now when I tell him to move back, he will auto
wa yr method is gd. will use this on my son when he is older :tlaugh:

apollo

keith loves disnye ch?! ashton dont lik to watch cartoon!!! he only watch commercials!!!!! =( usually i will place him on his highchair, let him watch tv on there.. as my mum's place is quite big so i let him keep a distance with the tv.. =)

jasobias

My baby(7 months) the Mickey mouse clubhouse cartoon n pocoyo..she watches fr start to end everyday..hahhahha
She sits there glued n wld smile at the parts when her Mickey mouse appears asking for the magic words.Almost 2 months already she watching it..they repeat same thing over n over again..now i know all the songs already also...zzzzzzzz

pkshl

keith loves disnye ch?! ashton dont lik to watch cartoon!!! he only watch commercials!!!!! =( usually i will place him on his highchair, let him watch tv on there.. as my mum's place is quite big so i let him keep a distance with the tv.. =)
haa, he likes to watch dibo the gift dragon, micky mouse clubhouse, pocoyo(not so much now), special agent OSO. he also likes to watch commerical. i tink he will like jungle junction too.

Ottermum

Oh dear...my son also watches TV everyday...

he's also only interested in the beginning n end of every show...n the commercials...

sometimes i switched to Ch 34 just to distract him...as he likes to fiddle with things other than his toys in the living room...n when i need to do my chores...

i know it's bad to let him watch TV but sometimes i have no choice...gotta do housework...cook...etc...

by the way, his favourite show is The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! Gets so excited when Mickey comes along n asks for the magic words...then he starts shaking his butt when the music starts...then he'll do other things, wait for them to finish solving whatever problems they have n dances the 'hotdog' dance with them!

so funny just to look at him dancing n idolising Mickey! :tlaugh:
for me, my favourite is PoCoYo...so cute that little boy! Feel like hugging him n give him lotsa kisses!

Last edited:

STmummy

ya, I read somewhere about not good to let your baby (under 2 years old) to watch TV. so strictly no TV for him till around 11months old, when my nephew came over (20 months old) and he was watching his Barney. My son was also enjoying the show with him... and he looked so cute watching it. Started letting him watch these programs only - Sesame Street, Barney, Thomas & friends, Brainy Baby 'Laugh & Learn'. I also limit per session to 30 mins and only once a day on alternate days, and I will be watching with him.

He also likes to go very near to the TV, and I did the same as Phoebii. Ask him to come back and sit with me, if he doesnt I will pause the show, and he will hurry back to me so that I will play the show for him again. :001_302:

meiteoh

No TV for Eva...not even educational stuff. I figure that if it's education she needs, she can get it from me via reading, singing and playing together. I prefer this style as it's interactive whereas TV is just one-way. Sometimes she'll glance at the TV to see what I'm watching while I'm burping her but it's never for more than two minutes or so. When I'm working on my blogs and such and she's on my lap, she's more interested in the wires and mouse than she is in the screen.

What I do when I need to do housechores is I'd put her down somewhere to play with her toys and do my stuff like crazy. Sometimes she'll stop and watch me do some housework and I like it as it teaches her something about cleaning and life around her. In the most worse case scenario, I do most of my stuff at night or when she's asleep OR during the weekends, when my hubby is around to mind her. I've learnt to ignore the sad state of my house - it could be neater - but I exchange it for learning how to do things super fast! :p

diymummy is right. Images on a TV change really fast and it's hard for children to remember or remain focus. My mother-in-law read this article about TV and creativity and one of the main points was that TV doesn't teach children about creativity as opposed to books. When we read, we have to imagine and think outside the box. TV doesn't allow us to do that as the images are presented to us already.

ping26

We don't let our baby watch any kiddie channel at home.

She seems to enjoy Channel News Asia or Youtube (animal clips or sesame st programmes).

She watches one Elmo DVD at our place which I use to distract her when I cut her hair monthly. Unfortunately, at my mother & sis place, she watches Dora DVDs very regularly. She jumps w excitement whenever she sees Dora.

Currently, my girl is able to sit thro a 10-20 page book easily. I find Okto's commercials have fast-changing images. So, we've decided no kiddie TV as much as possible in case she gets used to snappy editing & loses her interest in books.

Ting

pin watches her cartoons n barney on DVD.
but she only started arnd 1.5 yo plus or 2 yo.. cant rmb exactly when she had interest in TV.
cos when she was a baby, she wasnt interested at all. even when we r watching she also just contd on her own stuffs.

also, she watches alot of documentary with my dad, like discovery channel all those. her fav is animal planet,always asking my dad to watch with her, so she can recognise alot of animals, she can differentiate diff breed of animals, like she know orangutans n chimps r diff, like alligator is bigger than crocodile n so forth..
but sometimes, she also watches soccer with my dad. -.-"

paperger85

My little girl is only 3 months old but she is always staring at the TV! My MIL will carry her to the living room where the tv is on and my baby will be staring at the TV although we try to face her away from the tv!

Ting

agreed, pin also the same. i will tell her to move back, if she dont, i stand in front of the tv n block her view til she move.. LOL~

I only let my son watch his "Baby can read" DVD. I dont't let him watch TV. I also read that be it educational DVDs or normal TV to only allow them to watch it for max of 30min. The reason being that images change very fast on normal TV and this might cause focus problems later on. It's like kids who're very into comp games, they usually have short attention spans and bad memories.
thanks for sharing this info, i think its important to know.

:tlaugh: