Do you circumcise your boy?

v_ni

foscom, i'm also considering whether i should circumcise my baby boy. i'm only due in january so i still have time to decide. purely for health reasons, but none of the baby boys in my family went thru it so i'm kinda confused.

hubby thinks it's a good idea but we both don't want the baby to go thru pain.....so neither of us wants to take a stand on it.. hahahhaha chicken parents!

i've also read that a circumcised male has reduced chance of getting AIDS as well. and i read all the stories about infection and foreskin too tight, then the boy eventually needs to be circumcised when he is older, makes me think we should just get it done and over with.

on the other hand, if anything happens (choy), we may ruin his sex life forever, that also scares me......also apparently a circumcised boy will be desensitized in that area as well......

fazlin7

Hi,

I would like to enquire any recommended clinics for circumcision ...
And if possible can pls include the address, contact number plus the price range.

Thanks.
Crescent Clinic.
Blk 1A, Eunos Crescent #01-2473
Tel: 6745-8624
Price: $85 (not sure if price is stil the same)
- covers consultation, procedure, panadol, care instructions & follow-up consultation (norm 6-8 days later)

Doctors recommend if can 3.5 months below before the baby can roll over to circumcise.
Recommended.. Mine boy was done there...

Last edited:

fazlin7

Hi,

I would like to enquire any recommended clinics for circumcision ...
And if possible can pls include the address, contact number plus the price range.

Thanks.

I got others info too. Hope this helps.....

Dr Aziz Clinic at Kembangan Plaza.
Kembangan Plaza, 18 Jalan Masjid #01-08,
Tel: 6842-0220
Price: $200 (pls double check price again)

Country Side Clinic and Surgery
Block 106 Yishun Ring Road #01-189
singapore 760106
Tel : 62570369
Dr Zailan bin Ahmad

The Neptune Clinic
Dr Masayu Zainab
Certified Family Physician

328 Clementi Ave 2
#01-212
Singapore 120328
Tel : +65 6779 7444

SIDEK CLINIC FOR WOMEN PTE. LTD.
3 SIMEI STREET 6 #04-25/26
EASTPOINT MALL
SINGAPORE 528833
TEL:+65 67878863
FAX:+65 67881831
MOBILE:+65 90282668
HOTLINE:+65 93823675

Eden Family Clinic
Blk 768 Woodlands Ave 6 #02-06
Singapore 740768
Tel : 63656737
Dr Elias Tham

or

Blk 492 Jurong West St 41 #01-54
Singapore 640492
Tel : 65660257

Ar-Raudhah Medicare Clinic
Blk 372 Bukit Batok St 31 #01-386
Singapore 650372
Tel : 65677458
Dr Amir Adha bin Abdullah

ArDz

I got others info too. Hope this helps.....

Dr Aziz Clinic at Kembangan Plaza.
Kembangan Plaza, 18 Jalan Masjid #01-08,
Tel: 6842-0220
Price: $200 (pls double check price again)

Country Side Clinic and Surgery
Block 106 Yishun Ring Road #01-189
singapore 760106
Tel : 62570369
Dr Zailan bin Ahmad

The Neptune Clinic
Dr Masayu Zainab
Certified Family Physician

328 Clementi Ave 2
#01-212
Singapore 120328
Tel : +65 6779 7444

SIDEK CLINIC FOR WOMEN PTE. LTD.
3 SIMEI STREET 6 #04-25/26
EASTPOINT MALL
SINGAPORE 528833
TEL:+65 67878863
FAX:+65 67881831
MOBILE:+65 90282668
HOTLINE:+65 93823675

Eden Family Clinic
Blk 768 Woodlands Ave 6 #02-06
Singapore 740768
Tel : 63656737
Dr Elias Tham

or

Blk 492 Jurong West St 41 #01-54
Singapore 640492
Tel : 65660257

Ar-Raudhah Medicare Clinic
Blk 372 Bukit Batok St 31 #01-386
Singapore 650372
Tel : 65677458
Dr Amir Adha bin Abdullah

Thks again fazlin for the info ...
:001_302:

foscom

foscom, i'm also considering whether i should circumcise my baby boy. i'm only due in january so i still have time to decide. purely for health reasons, but none of the baby boys in my family went thru it so i'm kinda confused.

hubby thinks it's a good idea but we both dont't want the baby to go thru pain.....so neither of us wants to take a stand on it.. hahahhaha chicken parents!

i've also read that a circumcised male has reduced chance of getting AIDS as well. and i read all the stories about infection and foreskin too tight, then the boy eventually needs to be circumcised when he is older, makes me think we should just get it done and over with.

on the other hand, if anything happens (choy), we may ruin his sex life forever, that also scares me......also apparently a circumcised boy will be desensitized in that area as well......
Hi V_Ni,

I think you should definitely do it a few days after birth.

I was in your position only a few months ago. It is hard to subject your little one to any procedure, let alone on a part so sensitive, and particularly when you are not doing it for a religious reason. I come from a Chinese background, but was surprised to find that many of my relations had been through it later in life for one reason or another (although it was not mentioned in conversation). As most were done as a child or teenager they told me they can still remember the pain. After a massive amount of research on the pros and cons and consulting my father who is a doctor (and not circumcised), and my pediatrician, my husband and I decided to go ahead and do it shortly after birth. I was surprised how simple the whole thing was. I was present and it was over in 15 mins or so with no real crying and no fuss. It was fully healed in a few days. Compare this to my aunt who had her son done shortly after mine at age 2 years due to an infection. There was crying for a day and it took well over week to get fully healed. One doctor I consulted said I should do it when he was older, but Im glad we decided to do it when he was young. The other 2 doctors I consulted were right when they said the healing power of a baby is much better than an infant or child.

From what I have read there is some evidence it reduces the chance of AIDs (the Government in China recently announced it is thinking of routine circumcision of babies as a measure to reduce the spread of AIDs). There is a mountain of evidence that the procedure eliminates the risk of infection. And yes I have found articles that suggest there is no difference in sexual function and sensitivity of those subject to the procedure. All doctors I consulted said the risks were very low of anything going wrong, it is all fairly routine. During my research I found a study that looked at the possibility of something going wrong. The study found that on average 80% of males in Canada, the US, and Australia were done at birth, and of these procedures, the chance of something going wrong was around 0.001%. This suggests routine vaccinations are much more risky. Of course there are articles outlining the cons, but most seem to base their objections on speculation, and personal preferences, rather that hard medical evidence and facts.

Looking back I was making too much of an issue of it. Trust me just do it. It will be ok, and it will avoid the risks for your little one having issues when he gets older.

Hope this all helps and let me know your thoughts.....

Last edited:

v_ni

hi foscom,

good to hear that your baby is doing well.

could i ask if your bb's circumcision was done using the ring thing? how do we clean the penis while the ring was still on? i read that the ring should drop out after a week or so?

do we need to go to certain PDs for the circumcision? i haven't really asked for any doctor's opinion, thinking of asking my gyne during my next visit? i don't even have a PD yet.

foscom

hi foscom,

good to hear that your baby is doing well.

could i ask if your baby's circumcision was done using the ring thing? how do we clean the penis while the ring was still on? i read that the ring should drop out after a week or so?

do we need to go to certain PDs for the circumcision? i have not't really asked for any doctor's opinion, thinking of asking my gyne during my next visit? i dont't even have a pediatrician yet.
Hi V_Ni,

Yes the method used on my son was the plastibell method. The information I had said it was the most common method and the safest for neonatal circumcision.

As mentioned the actual proceedure took about 15 mins. The plastic ring fell of after 3 days. Very little special care is needed when the plastibell method is used. The baby is given a daily bath as usual, but the nurse suggested I add some salt to the bath water to promote healing. This takes care of the circumcision, aswell as the healing of the umbilical cord stump, which also falls off after a few day. Thats why I found circumcision no big deal. When done a few days after birth it really does not involve much. The circumcision and the umbilical cord wound is very alike. Infact the umbilical cord wound looks worse.

Now doctors is where you run into some different views. My gyne was Chinese and not a fan of circumcision. He spent about 30 mins trying to talk me out of it, before suggesting we do it when my son is older 2 or 3 yrs. My father is also a doctor and he told me that some of his collegues have personal preference in this area, but on the whole he felt it would be better for us to do it at birth. He suggested I go back and just tell the gyne my preference to have it done. My gyne reluctantly arranged for my son to have it done a few days after bith. Of course Im not a doctor and wanted to feel I had done the correct thing in passing up my gyne's initial advice. I went to see a pediatrician to get a second opinion. He was also Chinese, but very supportive. He pointed me to some research and went to great lengths to settle my mind. He told me it was just a small thing, and he agreed that doing it a few days after bith was really the right thing to do on the evidence available.

I suggest you tell your gyne you have decided to have your son circumcised and want him to arrange for it to be done before you leave the hospital. Then see what his reaction is. My guess he will say its fine....

Let me know how it goes..

hakisumi

me and hubby got discuss about this issue also..most likely we will do it.. more of a hygiene reasons.... we ll seek more advice from a pediatrician when baby is out.. hehehe...

carrot^

Alpha Male
I don't think I will circumcised my son unless it is a health issue "e.g. foreskin too tight and cannot be pull back". To me, the way to reduce the probability and possibility of acquiring HIV is to advise him to practice safe sex.

Hi guys... After having 2 dear daughters I'm finally expecting a son this time... This topic was suddenly brought up by one of my gf's hubby (who's was not a local)... He actually advised me to circumcise my son shortly after birth and he was pretty determined tat I have to let my son do it due to few advantages like cleaniness n better sex life in future!?:eek:11: He further assured me tat nowadays it is done thru laser so the process is much simpler and it's heals pretty fast... Had to admit he sort of managed to convince me to opt for it at that moment... However after discussing with my hubby (a typical local guy), he's totally against it saying it's cruel to put dear son go thru tat at a young age... Moreover to him, dear son may not even need to... I went on to consult another gf's hubby whose a doctor and he commented tat it's actually alright not to circumcise unless of religious or health reasons... Therefore we decided not to go for it...

A_LIM

I have 2 sons one 12yrs one 5 your. We had both circumcised.

When my first boy was born we decided not to get him circumcised. Hubby was not keen and the doctor said it did not matter.

At 3yrs he got his first infection and was a bit itchy. I asked the doctor if we could do anything, but the doctor said infections was almost unavoidable for uncircumcised boys, and not to to worry. We kept a close eye on his hygene but he got a bad infection at 5 yrs, and that was not good at all. The doctor said we should have him circumcised if we wanted to avoid infections once and for all. It was really painful and it took two week for him to fully recover. Loads of crying and sleepless nights. The doctor said if it had to be done, it would have been better to have him done at birth.

When I was expecting my second child we opted for circumcision at birth. We read up and were surprised at the changing attitudes. There seemed more pros than cons and my husband, although reluctant, agreed it was best. My second was done before I left the hospital. It was the plastibell method. I was very surprised. The proceedure took a very short time (15-20 min) and when he was returned to me straight after the procedure he did not shed a tear, he slept well, and the wound was fully recovered in 3 days. My first son has not had an infection since his circumcision, and the second son has never had a problem in that area at all.

Im expecting my third boy and have already arranged to get him circumcised before I leave the hospital. I dont want him to be at risk of infections or tight foreskin. A 10 min circumcision soon after birth seems by far better than what my first son went through.

Last edited:

hakisumi

I have 2 sons one 12yrs one 5 your. We had both circumcised.

When my first boy was born we decided not to get him circumcised. Hubby was not keen and the doctor said it did not matter.

At 3yrs he got his first infection and was a bit itchy. I asked the doctor if we could do anything, but the doctor said infections was almost unavoidable for uncircumcised boys, and not to to worry. We kept a close eye on his hygene but he got a bad infection at 5 yrs, and that was not good at all. The doctor said we should have him circumcised if we wanted to avoid infections once and for all. It was really painful and it took two week for him to fully recover. Loads of crying and sleepless nights. The doctor said if it had to be done, it would have been better to have him done at birth.

When I was expecting my second child we opted for circumcision at birth. We read up and were surprised at the changing attitudes. There seemed more pros than cons and my husband, although reluctant, agreed it was best. My second was done before I left the hospital. It was the plastibell method. I was very surprised. The proceedure took a very short time (15-20 min) and when he was returned to me straight after the procedure he did not shed a tear, he slept well, and the wound was fully recovered in 3 days. My first son has not had an infection since his circumcision, and the second son has never had a problem in that area at all.

Im expecting my third boy and have already arranged to get him circumcised before I leave the hospital. I dont want him to be at risk of infections or tight foreskin. A 10 min circumcision soon after birth seems by far better than what my first son went through.
hi a lim mummy.. thanks for sharing...so we can do it before leaving the hospital... cos me n hubby were thinking like doing it as young as possible plus w some mummy's post its better do it before he cld actually roll over or something...

but my mum is worried abt the wound or like..he's tooo young...etc..if older more pain right...?
may i ask which hospital were u at? how much does this surgery cost?
:tlaugh:

A_LIM

hi a lim mummy.. thanks for sharing...so we can do it before leaving the hospital... cos me and hubby were thinking like doing it as young as possible plus w some mummy's post its better do it before he cld actually roll over or something...

but my mum is worried about the wound or like..he's tooo young...etc..if older more pain right...?
may i ask which hospital were you at? how much does this surgery cost?
:tlaugh:
Hi hakisumi,

As someone who has seen the effects of circumcision shortly after birth and later in childhood, I have to say a few days after birth is by far the best time. I was also a bit nervous about doing it while he was so young, but it was so much better and involved much less pain.

When it is done a few days after birth they can use the plastibell method, which is a lot safer and easier. This does not involve cutting. A small ring is placed over the head of the penis and a string is tied around the foreskin, so that the foreskin is compressed between the plastic ring and the string. Basically this stops circulation to the foreskin and the plastic ring and the foreskin fall off after a few days. The way the doctor explained it is like tying a peice of string tightly around your finger (it cuts circulation). It involves no cutting, and no dressings are necessary.

You simply bath your son normally to keep it clean. I was given some anticeptic ointment and told to put it on once the ring had fallen off to help healing. It only took a few days to heal anyway. Tell your mum the wound is not a problem.

My second was delivered at Mt E. I told my gyne I wanted to do it and he arranged for a pediatrician to do it a day before we left the hospital. This time I will be going to KK, I asked if it could be done and they said I come back a few weeks after birth, or when the he is older . When I insisted my gyne has arranged for a pediatrician to do it before we leave the hospital. The cost is really minimal dont know exactly, but we are talking only two hundred extra or so. It cost me more than double when my eldest has his done at 5yrs, and I had all the costs of treating the infection and post operative visits etc.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any futher questions...

foscom

Agree a few days after birth is better. All you have to do is bath him normally. The healing is the same as for his umbilical cord, no problem at all. Unlike a few of our friends who did not go for circumcision, our son has never had an infection.

Last edited:

hakisumi

tat day i ask the PD when i was in the hospital.. he told me it cost about 1k plus~!!! den it was deepavali ,and he told me if u wanna do it will be about 1.5times more...

foscom

that day i ask the pediatrician when i was in the hospital.. he told me it cost about 1k plus~!!! then it was deepavali ,and he told me if you wanna do it will be about 1.5times more...
Yes make sure it is the plastibell method, cheaper and much better. This method can only be used when the baby is up to 2 months old. I did mine a week after I discharged from hospital. Cost me about 400 ++, but it was at a private hospital. I found out after we did it that some clinics offer the same service at a much cheaper rate. $1000+ seems very high. Let me know any developments....

A_LIM

that day i ask the pediatrician when i was in the hospital.. he told me it cost about 1k plus~!!! then it was deepavali ,and he told me if you wanna do it will be about 1.5times more...
Congratulations on your new arrival.

Wow $1000 that's too much. I looked through my accounts and it only cost us $250, but we agreed the price in advance with the PD.

Are u married to a Expat by any chance? my friend, who is Chinese Singaporean, told me that when she asked for her son to be circumcised shortly after birth, the fee was also very high. She felt it was because her husband was and Expat. She said everything extra after the birth seemed to cost twice as much (she was asked for $850).

She told me she took her son to the Crescent Clinic in Eunos a week after birth and was charged around $100. She said it was good and the doctor was very attentive and experienced. She called the clinic and explained what she wanted and they were very helpful.

My advice is to look for a local clinic, like Crescent Clinic, that performs Circumcision.You can also shop around at the private hospitals for a better deal. However, if you are going to do it, get it done sooner rather than later. I recommend you ask for it to be done using the plastibell technique.

Let me know how all this goes....

Last edited:

hakisumi

ya.. of cos.. i didnt agree to it..
i called up the crescent clinic..
i will be gg this sat.. everything is about $90..

no my husband not expat.. maybe he see us young couple and seems interested to do it.. so... i dunno...

i know from another mummy say bcos doc fee 500 hospital charges 500.. medisave can 450.. but still is EXP....