Do you spank? Disciplining Toddler

jojoki

Feel like spanking and discipling my friend's kid yesterday!!
Was out with my 2 girlfrens... one has a 2 yr old..
Throughout the lunch...the kid was throwing napkins, spoons, chopsticks on the floor... hitting the bows against the table...clank clank clank... my friend just tell him nicely: cannot ok?? (the toddler continues his 'games' while my friend continues eating)... me and the other friend also keep quiet.
Then he started screaming... and since we were about to leave...we got the kid of out his chair and he started crying and rolling on the floor before we could finish payment.... we half carried and half dragged the kid out of the place while the mum was calling the dad on the phone (very cool and calm!)... by then me and the other friend were squatting and trying to get the kid up to walk.... he was screaming even louder!!!!! omg.... i dont know if i shld cover my ears or face really...a lot of pple were looking at us...
We tried to put the kid in his pram and belt in him....he was kicking everywhere and slipped through the pram.... His mummy was just standing there laughing (still on the phone)!!
wah.....i dont know what to do and my other friend has no kid also just stared at me...
This kind can dont spank?? Zero discpline at all!!!!!!!!

disclaimer: if you happen to see this drama mama scene at orchard yesterday, is no me okok?? lol
haha wah the mother damn cool eh. but i paiseh to say my bb also clank clank clank type with the bowl etc.. but if she throws on floor we will not give her back.
but when shes throwing tantrums in public i dont spank her cos she will every be more hysterical... so i use distraction method lor.. LOTS of distractions!!

but must start teach her table manners di..

Oppsgal

So far I only spank my baby around 1+ year old on the leg lightly because keep throwing tantrum when changing diapers. Sometimes very annoying when the poo is on the butt then keep turning away even if things are given to divert attention. The things given might got thrown away by baby and tried to wriggle away. Scolding don't seems to work... Very stubborn. 牛脾气= born in the cow's year??

Cannot imaging all the poo on the bed when baby crawls away. :embarrassed:

tika

my girl sometimes has melt downs at the table too. its normal for toddlers to get fidgety and cranky after sitting at the table for a period of time. Their backside and fingers too itchy must DO SOMETHING ELSE besides sitting down quietly. lol.

so like jojoki...i distract distract distraccccct. The best distraction for my 2 year old now is Daddy's IPHONE! so many applications i downloaded for my 2 year old to play while we quietly have dinner. she can sit still for a good 30 minutes, while i eat and feed her at the same time, as long as she's playing with her puzzles on daddy's iphone.

I am really greatful to Apple for inventing the iphone. :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

EnFlor

my girl sometimes has melt downs at the table too. its normal for toddlers to get fidgety and cranky after sitting at the table for a period of time. Their backside and fingers too itchy must DO SOMETHING ELSE besides sitting down quietly. lol.

so like jojoki...i distract distract distraccccct. The best distraction for my 2 year old now is Daddy's IPHONE! so many applications i downloaded for my 2 year old to play while we quietly have dinner. she can sit still for a good 30 minutes, while i eat and feed her at the same time, as long as she's playing with her puzzles on daddy's iphone.

I am really greatful to Apple for inventing the iphone. :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:
yeah, I do agree with Tika...DISTRACT is the magic word. With my kids then, when they were much younger, God knows how many gadgets I have with me when we went out. Suddenly, Mummy was like a magician who could pull out something different every now and then from her sack the moment she sensed, Mr Boredom and Ms Cranky crept in...haiyoh, those were the days man! Now, no need colourful, sing-along, fancy gadgets....my killer look, THE EYE will make every hair on their bodies stand. :tlaugh:

tika

Distraction does work like magic doesn't it. If my spouse's iPhone not ard n I can't find anything safe and interesting in my bag, I'll ransack my mom's bag. :Dancing_tongue:

ping26

my killer look, THE EYE will make every hair on their bodies stand. :tlaugh:
HAHAHA, that's a good one :)

Right now, I'm rotating carry-walk-sitting (stroller/carseat) for our 11-mth baby. I make sure she walks abt 15 min before meals or carseat time. She'll sit quietly for a while before fussing. Seems to be working for meals better than car journeys.

I hope the iphone will works its magic when terrible twos kick in. Now she may throw or bang when excited. Sometimes she wants a bite of remote control. haha.

Now we just pat her backside for fun. For now, she's willing to lie down for diaper change again :)

Ting

i also distract pin with my iphone when she is bored. i downloaded some easy games tt she can play. haha~

my dotter likes to play with water. she suck a lot of water n puuuuuuu puuuu out! :bmad:
same as my DS, he likes play water so much ... during bath time, is the most torturing time for me... he dont want to finish his bath time, still want to play water, till i finally force him to get out then he will show me his tantrum by not allowed me to dress him up and cried so loud ..... i feel so stress everytime bath time. :we2wacko:

Stan

Tika mummy,
we have 2 iphones (1 used as a rattle, 1 showing flash cards)and 1 samsung phone (playing music from wonder girls - nobody nobody but chew!!) for him to play!! noo use!!:err:

edunloaded

Alpha Male
yeah, I do agree with Tika...DISTRACT is the magic word. With my kids then, when they were much younger, God knows how many gadgets I have with me when we went out. Suddenly, Mummy was like a magician who could pull out something different every now and then from her sack the moment she sensed, Mr Boredom and Ms Cranky crept in...haiyoh, those were the days man! Now, no need colourful, sing-along, fancy gadgets....my killer look, THE EYE will make every hair on their bodies stand. :tlaugh:
I agree with u that sometimes we just need to distract them.

The kids are growing up and sometimes just learning to control their emotions and they may need that distraction in order to channel their energy somewhere else.

Whatever method of disciplining we use; i think the keyword is consistency!

Behaviour needs to be reinforced and this only happens when we are consistent to show what is right and wrong!

Just how I feel :)

ED Unloaded