Doctors who support Hypnobirthing ?

kaerb

Hello mummies and mummies to be,

was wondering if anyone know of any doctors who fully support hypnobirthing? I did a bit of digging and only found Dr Paul Tseng in TMC who sort of supports hypnobirthing. If anyone know of any other doctor who is a advocate of hypnobirthing, do share with me...

I am currently in my 27 weeks and thinking of switching doctors as my current one is very traditional and I can't get him to change his mindset.. he's all into cutting and drugs...

liz2010

Hi, My OB-gyn was Dr Paul Tseng from Thomson Medical Center. I recommend him if you want to go for natural birthing. I had a doula myself. He really tries to go along with your requests as long as it's safe for yourself and the baby. My 2 kids were both overdue (6 days for my son and 3 days for my daughter). He never suggested to induce but just wait for the baby to be ready to come into this world. And for my son's birth (he is my older one), I pushed for 2 hours, but he never suggested C-section during the whole process. I believe with some other doctors, if you still can't push out your baby, some would go for C-section after 30 mn!

kaerb

Hi Liz,

thanks for the recommendation. I have yet to call him but planning to. Most doctors are so anxious for the mummies to birth the baby that they interfere too much... I was a big fan of epi and all the rest of the medical interventions but after going through Hypnobirthing, I realise that birthing should not be a traumatic event hence.. my desire to change doctor so late...

liz2010

Hi Liz,

thanks for the recommendation. I have yet to call him but planning to. Most doctors are so anxious for the mummies to birth the baby that they interfere too much... I was a big fan of epi and all the rest of the medical interventions but after going through Hypnobirthing, I realise that birthing should not be a traumatic event hence.. my desire to change doctor so late...
you are right to try the natural way. I was also on the epi side first. But having heard bad experiences from friends, I opted to natural. At least you can try and change your mind the D-day if you really can't bear the pain. To encourage me, I was thinking that most of the women in the world give birth the natural way, so why not me?

cmeilim

hi kaerb mummy

i changed gynae to dr paul in the 33rd week during my first pregnancy and it was the best decision ever. he really does support truly natural birth and is so wise, experienced and patient. you won't be considered that late, switching at 27th week. =)

my #1 was 9 days late, and he was totally relaxed abt it, no mention of induction or c-section whatsoever. then my waters broke but the contractions were not consistent and i had barely dilated, so he allowed me to go home and only admit myself if contractions were still not consistent after 24hr (to prevent infection). 27hrs later and only 1cm dilated, i had to self-admit into TMC but he allowed me to move around the delivery room freely, although he had to start me on oxytocin and a drip to prevent infection from the premature leaking of waters. but i didn't have to be strapped down constantly. he didn't make me do any enema.

i wanted to do without epidural, so i put up with the contractions until the pain was really wearing me down, unfortunately, and the dilation was taking way too long. so about 35hr after the waters broke and barely 3cm dilated, when i asked him for advice, he recommended i take the epidural just so that i could rest and have enough energy to push the baby out when my body and baby were ready. i knew he fully understood my intentions to go as natural as possible and trusted that he recommended the epidural only as a last resort and as the wisest thing to do at that time, so i went along with it. what assured me at that time was that with the epidural, he would let me take as long as it would take for full dilation and would at no time rush me into c-section.

the amazing thing was that his estimation of when i would reach full dilation was right on the spot. he estimated that it would be at abt 2am-ish on a sunday morning. at 2.30am, when he hadn't heard any call from the hospital, he called up the labour ward (he was up at home waiting for me to be ready!) and asked the midwife to check on me, and that was when the midwife realised yes, i was indeed ready! i think that spoke volumes for dedication and professionalism! He also didn't do episiotomy; he hasn't practised that nor see the need to practise that for the past decade.

my boy was finally born at 4.10am, after 44 hours of labour. i think that was pretty record time, esp given it was still natural vaginal delivery. Dr Paul took his time to stitch me for the slight tear i had. Instead of heading home to rest on a Sunday morning, he stayed back in the hospital and came round to check on me after I had settled into the postnatal ward.

i am expecting my #2 now, and he is fully behind me in my decision to continue breastfeeding my 16-month-old toddler. He is also the kind of gynae who won't pump mummies with supplements (other than Obimin multivits), unless medically necessary, as he believes that it's way more superior to take in calcium and DHA from food naturally. This really helps to save a lot of $$$.

To me, he is one of the two most consistently and thoroughly pro-natural gynaes in Singapore I know (the other is Dr F M Lai at Camden Medical Centre, who also works very well with doulas). you won't regret going with Dr Paul. =)

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy and birthing day!

kaerb

Hi Meilim...

your story is so inspiring.. and to go through 44 hours... wow... Hats off to you and Dr Paul. I think I am almost 90% convinced with Dr Paul already..after hearing so many positive things about him..

Thank you all for your stories...

tyl99

hi kaerb mummy

i changed gynae to dr paul in the 33rd week during my first pregnancy and it was the best decision ever. he really does support truly natural birth and is so wise, experienced and patient. you won't be considered that late, switching at 27th week. =)

my #1 was 9 days late, and he was totally relaxed about it, no mention of induction or c-section whatsoever. then my waters broke but the contractions were not consistent and i had barely dilated, so he allowed me to go home and only admit myself if contractions were still not consistent after 24hr (to prevent infection). 27hrs later and only 1cm dilated, i had to self-admit into Thomson Medical Center but he allowed me to move around the delivery room freely, although he had to start me on oxytocin and a drip to prevent infection from the premature leaking of waters. but i didn't have to be strapped down constantly. he didn't make me do any enema.

i wanted to do without epidural, so i put up with the contractions until the pain was really wearing me down, unfortunately, and the dilation was taking way too long. so about 35hr after the waters broke and barely 3cm dilated, when i asked him for advice, he recommended i take the epidural just so that i could rest and have enough energy to push the baby out when my body and baby were ready. i knew he fully understood my intentions to go as natural as possible and trusted that he recommended the epidural only as a last resort and as the wisest thing to do at that time, so i went along with it. what assured me at that time was that with the epidural, he would let me take as long as it would take for full dilation and would at no time rush me into c-section.

the amazing thing was that his estimation of when i would reach full dilation was right on the spot. he estimated that it would be at about 2am-ish on a sunday morning. at 2.30am, when he hadn't heard any call from the hospital, he called up the labour ward (he was up at home waiting for me to be ready!) and asked the midwife to check on me, and that was when the midwife realised yes, i was indeed ready! i think that spoke volumes for dedication and professionalism! He also didn't do episiotomy; he hasn't practised that nor see the need to practise that for the past decade.

my boy was finally born at 4.10am, after 44 hours of labour. i think that was pretty record time, esp given it was still natural vaginal delivery. Dr Paul took his time to stitch me for the slight tear i had. Instead of heading home to rest on a Sunday morning, he stayed back in the hospital and came round to check on me after I had settled into the postnatal ward.

i am expecting my #2 now, and he is fully behind me in my decision to continue breastfeeding my 16-month-old toddler. He is also the kind of gynae who won't pump mummies with supplements (other than Obimin multivits), unless medically necessary, as he believes that it's way more superior to take in calcium and DHA from food naturally. This really helps to save a lot of $$$.

To me, he is one of the two most consistently and thoroughly pro-natural gynaes in Singapore I know (the other is Dr F M Lai at Camden Medical Centre, who also works very well with doulas). you won't regret going with Dr Paul. =)

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy and birthing day!

Hi. Your Story inspire me to look for Dr Paul. :tlaugh: Thanks.

tyl99

Hello mummies and mummies to be,

was wondering if anyone know of any doctors who fully support hypnobirthing? I did a bit of digging and only found Dr Paul Tseng in Thomson Medical Center who sort of supports hypnobirthing. If anyone know of any other doctor who is a advocate of hypnobirthing, do share with me...

I am currently in my 27 weeks and thinking of switching doctors as my current one is very traditional and I can't get him to change his mindset.. he's all into cutting and drugs...

Hi. Wonder wat is Hypnobirthing? Issit just naturual birth? Thank U:001_302:

kaerb

Hi,

you may find more information here: Home

Its much more than just natural birthing. It also teaches you how to use self hypnosis in your birth process to enhance your experience.

Despite my reluctance to believe in natural birth, after completing the course, I feel so much more relaxed and confident.. While I do not promise that I would be able to go through my birth without any drugs, I do feel much more educated and informed about my choices..

Another related theory would be Hypnobabies hypnosis for child birth that really works which is a slightly more enhanced version of hypnobirthing.

Childbirth should not be a painful event..many misconceptions and stories have spread throughout the years to scare the pregnant mother into believing that childbirth is accompanied by pain... You can try to search on youtube for hypnobirthing videos.. you will be amazed at the calm and peaceful nature of the whole process..

kaerb

Just to update.. finally managed to get through to Dr Paul Tseng and got an appointment for next saturday... his clinic quite tough to reach hor? Anyways.. when I mentioned I am 30 weeks.. the nurse was like.. wat? you want to change doctor issit? Anyways, Hope everything will work out with him...

cmeilim

dun worry, they are very used to mummies wanting to change to dr paul at the last minute liao....i changed mine at 33rd weeks. ;p you'll be in good hands. =>

jiajia

hmmm, i am in my 16 weeks, after reading more about Dr Paul, I am now more convinced to make appt to see him next week....

kaerb

OMG..I just went for my 1st visit last saturday... and Dr Paul is SOOOOOOO Good Looking!!!!! its like an Asian version of Richard Gere.. Now I abit shy.. hahaha..

Anyways, he's on leave on 1st - 7th January 2011.. in case any one of your EDD falls on these dates.. I have to keep telling my baby not to come out early... else will miss Dr Paul's delivery..

cmeilim

hahaha, you are not the first patient to say this. we all gush over how good-looking and charming he is. hahaha....his three other bros (all in medical-related fields) are also very good-looking. they had inherited their mum's good-looking genes. did u see the photo of his four sons on his desk. they are also very good-looking!!!

hey, i was at TLC for prenatal appt last saturday too! but my appt was among the last few....

kaerb

Me too!!!! I was late for my appointment, end up I think I went in around 12 ish.. sooooo many people...

cmeilim

we were probably in the clinic at the same time then as i was there from 12.30-1.30pm. the crowd was partly due to the overflow of patients for the other two gynaes at TLC....

Jodes

Great info ladies Thank you.

Could you please share (if happy to) where you delivered and your experience.

I live on the East COast, so Parkway East is my closest. I did a tour last week and am not happy with a few things:
- My mother not allowed in delivery room, unless hubby is not there (My mum has been to the birth of all here grand children and will be a little upset)
- Baby is 'removed' for cleaning about an hour after birth. I said No, baby will stay with me and I will clean baby when I am ready too. In Oz, we don;t bath baby until day 2, as the white stuff on the, is really good for their skin). They were surprised at my reaction, but said they can be a LITTLE flexible. A know a lady who gave birth there and the took baby for cleaning and she didn't see baby for 6 hours. She kept asking for her and they wouldn't bring the baby.
- The encourage leaving baby in nursery. And don't like you to room in with baby at night.
- If mum is there, she can not see baby until we get in to ward (no one allowed in delivery, even after birth)
- They encourage mums to formula feed. They tell them, if you don't have enough milk, we will just give them formula until you so. Well, I fed two babies for a year each and your milk will only come if baby feeds from you. I am worried they will force formula if baby is unsettled and crying rather them letting me deal with it.

Anyway, there were other things, but that is enough i think. If anyone has had good experience at Parkway, please advise.

Ladies who loved the Dr mention above, please provide his details and your hospital experience.

Many thanks
Jodie
2 boys Jack 3 and James 1. Planning for number 3.

cmeilim

hi jodie,

welcome to singapore! i gave birth twice at Thomson Medical Centre, under Dr Paul Tseng from TLC Gynaecological Clinic also located at TMC. Both times I submitted to TMC my detailed birth plan with Dr Paul's endorsement. Some of what you mentioned can be controlled by the patient, esp if you specify it in your birth plan, get your ObGyn to endorse it and submit to TMC before delivery. Others are based on the hospital's rules and cannot be changed.

We have never requested for family members other than my husband to be present in the delivery ward during birthing, so I cannot advise you what TMC's policy regarding this is.

Both times (natural delivery), as per my birth plan, I had my newborn plopped onto my chest for skin-to-skin contact and to initiate breastfeeding right after he exited. I had them with me for a good half an hour or more while Dr Paul continued with the rest of the delivery - birthing the placenta, stitching up very minor tears. The newborns were then brought away to be cleaned up, weighed and measured just outside my ward, and then brought straight back to me in the delivery ward. I continued to have my newborns with me until such time the nurses were ready to take us to my postnatal ward together, typically about two hours after the time of birth. After I had settled into my postnatal ward and had some time with my newborns, they would then be taken away for some neonatal tests and to be checked by the PD, after which they came back to me.

I wasn't able to have them room in with me all the time both times as I was in shared rooms and the hospital's policy is that newborns in shared rooms should be returned to the nursery at night to facilitate patients sharing the same room to rest amply. But I understand that if I were occupying a single-bedded room, I would have been able to have baby rooming in with me through the night.

I am an ardent breastfeeding advocate and am currently tandem nursing my toddler and baby. Both times, I specified in my birth plan that my babies were to be exclusively breastfed from the start and at no point should they be fed with anything else except breastmilk, not even water. My husband and I reiterated this several times to the hospital staff after delivery during our stay there to make sure that there was no room for miscommunications or 'absent-mindedness'. Both times, the TMC staff put a 'Total Breastfeeding' card on my newborns' cots. Whenever my newborns cried at night, the nurses on duty did bring them to me to be nursed and bring them back to the nursery again after we were done, unless it was already close to breakfast time in which case the baby would remain in my room with me.

Jodes

Dear cmeilim,
Thanks for the answers. I have spoke to Thomson staff now and feel a little more comfortable now. I meet Dr Pau Saturday for my first visit, so can finally get pregnancy confirmed and start telling people!
Jodes