Does the doc prescribe antibiotics to your kid?

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi mummies/ daddies,

My 17 month old son had a high fever 5 days ago and now subsiding but he's starting to have a lot of phlegm and running nose since yesterday. So we returned to see the same doc and he prescribed us with antibiotic labeled "Klacid". He even advise us to finish up the antibiotic. I'm not really comfortable with the idea of too much medication on my kid and was wondering is it normal for docs to prescribe antibiotic to kids of younger age?

Appreciate any of your feedback/ experiences. Thanks.

Mummy73

I m with u! I hate the idea of giving medication, n much prefer natural remedy. Unfortunately, my 4 mth old BB has been coughing for over 2 mths, n after resisting m hoping his condition will get better, I surrender to medication. Doc prescribed Klacid as well. Hopefully it clears up his cough once and for all. I will try out TCM when he's about a year old. Coughing (asthma)runs in my family.
In US, doc DO NOT prescribe anti biotic unless it's life threatening. Thus I believe in training our immune system to fight the virus. But as with cough, it shouldn't be prolong, or run the risk of complication...

Nathaniel Mummy

Has your baby recover from coughing after taking Klacid? I remember when my baby was 3 months the doc also did prescribe antibiotic (did not notice the name) but I did not let my baby consume it....was thinking just like you -train the immune system to fight the virus. Luckily he recovered but took 3 weeks or so.
Actually the doc had prescribed an antibiotic on the first visit when my baby had high fever but I didnt feed him. Did not check the name, not sure if it Klacid or a diffrent one. Last night I finally reluctantly resort to feeding him the antibiotics as the doctor told me must finish the whole bottle! On top of the antibiotic, he prescribed 2 types of phlegm medication and cough syrup. My son hates taking medication and attempting to feed him was hell last night!!
I only manage to feed him the antibiotics and paracetamol as he was still having fever. Those 2 I feel is already too much for him. I have no intention of giving him the cough syrup as he does not cough that bad..
I guess some docs are "easier" to prescribe medication than others....?

Mummy73

I just try out a new ped today after reading review on this forum. She immediately cuts his current medi to half, but was given Kalcid too. I figure my boys cough has persisted for too long, his phlegm seems v thick. He was given Kalcid today , will keep u posted on his development. Lucky me, both my kids love medication. Lol. My elder child would ask for more! And the little one seems to enjoy it as well... My previous ped was v pro medi, v minor ailment, she prescribes medi for my older child. Dr Oh from Bishan kids clinic gave my sweaty and chubby boy oat meal powder to clear his rash, whereas the last doc was some medi which I resisted. Let's hope this new ped would be the one I am searching for, someone who encourages natural healing... I will try out TCM when my boy is a year old.

TanJ

Yes there is antibiotic for children at that age and it has to finish the whole course in order for your child to recover.

Mummy73

I usually try sponging first to bring down the temp, if this fails , then I'll resort to paracetamol. Is ur child on breastmilk? Or was?
My elder child was on breastmilk till a year old, unfortunately, she fell sick quite often. Doc diagnosed her as asthmatic, and she's been on the puff since 2. I must also stress that my daughter eats a wide variety of food. Fish, leafy veg, meat... Even food my husband and I dun eat , and upon hearing it's brain food, she eats it; pig liver. I have started her on Chinese medi two weeks back, hopefully this will strengthen her lungs n build better immunity to fight viruses.
In fact, I conceived thru Chinese medicine, after a year of test and pills from the hosp.

apollo

Yes, my son's pd prescribes antibiotic to him WHEN NECESSARY. He only will prescribe to him when he is down with throat infection with fever, and fail to recover after taking days of med. Other than that, he will only give normal med only. And yes, once you start the antibiotic, have to COMPLETE the whole course even the child recovers before completing the antibiotic. Same goes to adults, we have to complete the whole antibiotic course once we started taking.

Nathaniel Mummy

I just try out a new ped today after reading review on this forum. She immediately cuts his current medi to half, but was given Kalcid too. I figure my boys cough has persisted for too long, his phlegm seems v thick. He was given Kalcid today , will keep u posted on his development. Lucky me, both my kids love medication. Lol. My elder child would ask for more! And the little one seems to enjoy it as well... My previous ped was v pro medi, v minor ailment, she prescribes medi for my older child. Dr Oh from Bishan kids clinic gave my sweaty and chubby boy oat meal powder to clear his rash, whereas the last doc was some medi which I resisted. Let's hope this new ped would be the one I am searching for, someone who encourages natural healing... I will try out TCM when my boy is a year old.
Hi Mummy73,

sorry for the late reply, been a terribly busy week for me. How is your boy doing? I hope he's getting better. Did you finish up the antibiotics?
As for my son he's getting better, no more fever and phelgm seems to go away on its own. I only feed him the antibiotics once, the time that I mentioned to you earlier. I know ppl say must continue the antibiotics but i really feel uncomfortable forcing it to my son especially when he was fine the next day. I am just thankful that he is doing good now.

Mummy73

Hi nathaniel-mummy,

I m happy to hear ur boy is well. As far as I m concerened, u are supposed to finish the whole course, but since u only gave ur child one dose, I guess it's ok? Anyhow it's good news he's well.

My boy after a week of antibiotics and medi, is still having very chesty cough. I have been to the docs four times, and still his Phelgm seems v nasty and persistent! It's v heart wrenching to hear his chesty Phelgm. Do u mind to share ur docs contact? I really hope he gets well ASAP, it's been over two months! Thanks in advance.

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi nathaniel-mummy,

I m happy to hear ur boy is well. As far as I m concerened, u are supposed to finish the whole course, but since u only gave ur child one dose, I guess it's ok? Anyhow it's good news he's well.

My boy after a week of antibiotics and medi, is still having very chesty cough. I have been to the docs four times, and still his Phelgm seems v nasty and persistent! It's v heart wrenching to hear his chesty Phelgm. Do u mind to share ur docs contact? I really hope he gets well ASAP, it's been over two months! Thanks in advance.
Poor thing... I really hope he will get well very soon..
My boy sees this doc, Dr Robert Lau Boon Kwang ... his clinic is located at 539 Bedok North St 3. Contact no. 6245 2684. Clinic name is YSL. Please note that he is a GP not Paed. Nevertheless he is very good with kids and so far I can to say he's good because when he check my son, he really check thoroughly, very hands on and not just like some GPs that literally just do consultation. My only reservation abt him is the antibiotics part but other than that he is good.
Do call first before dropping to check which doc is attending as there are other docs depending on the shift.

Mummy73

Thanks for ur recommendation. I will keep the contact handy. I had gone to Dr Terrence Tan at Mt Alvernia despite mixed review on him. I m glad I did! It was so worrying for months and I have also been feeding the little one Phelgm medi, it turned out that it was just gastric acid reflux.
I find Dr Tan highly experienced and approachable. Now I can finally have a gd night sleep w o waking up to check his breathing!

Mummy73

I also checked w the doc on u cease giving antibiotic after one dose. He was v relaxed and laughed it off "no worries lah, just one dose is fine." ok, I admit I worry too much...;-) wish ur boy the best of health... Healthy Ah!

Nathaniel Mummy

Thanks a lot for asking the doc abt the antibiotic after 1 dose, really appreciate it :D. I am very glad u've find a Paed that you feel comfortable with.
Wish your kids the best of health too and dont worry too much mummy73, take it easy ;-) Keep in touch!