Domestic Helper posing a hazzard to baby!

MelanieMassang

This just happened and it seriously irks me. It's so dangerous!

My helper sleeps before midnight and wakes at 6.30 in the morning on weekdays and 7 on weekends. She sleeps WAY more than I do, and I'm fine with that cause I want a alert and cautious maid to care for my active and curious baby. BUT I just caught her napping this afternoon together with my baby, instead of using the time to do housework.

Her housework is DISMAL. She often mops the floor and leaves the pail of water around the house, letting baby play with it. She can wipe mess off the floor after cooking but leaves the dirty rag where baby can chew. It's not just housework, she has no common sense. When baby was 8 months, she passed a pair of SCISSORS to baby to chew on while she changes her diapers. And recently, she fed baby a piece of bread from the same hand holding a knife.

Her sleeping in the afternoon isn't the first time. And I believe she sleeps for HOURS in the noon. Cause last month, when hubby took half day from work to go see the doc, he went home and saw baby playing in the room by herself, and the maid sleeping on baby's mattress. He was LIVID. What happens if baby puts her finger in the moving fan? what if she chokes on something she left around? What if she fell into the bucket of water she left in the living room? He reprimanded her soundly and made her see the danger she inadvertently put baby in. She was apologetic then, but it's happening again!

I've always wondered why was it that she gets so little work done throughout the whole day. She mops the floor, makes porridge/soup for baby, use the washing machine, hangs the clothes, pack the house... and that's it. Sometimes she doesn't even finish mopping the floor and whenever I go home, the house is in a mess! She always says she's busy with baby and I'm understanding. Now I know the real reason why and I don't know how to handle this. I don't make threats for i fear she will take it out on my little girl, i don't yell and scream cause bad influence on baby, I can't deduct her pay cause it's against the law, I cant give her more work or reduce her sleeping hours cause that's just shooting myself in the foot.

Any advice please!

Rye

Send her to agency for counseling. If it still doesn't work pls change.. It's dangerous to leave your baby with this sort of person. It doesn't take a genius to know of the dangers of scissors n fan blades n pail of water. U probably hv to take leave while waiting for a new maid or consider infant care eventually.

I've already had 3 maids in 5 months n luckily I'm still on maternity leave. Now waiting for my 4th maid n hopefully a good one that can stay cuz I'm returning to work soon. Even with a maid I still send my kids to Childcare. My newborn will go to infant care as well. No time to try her baby care skills. ;)

Good luck!:)

Last edited:

MelanieMassang

Hey Rye, sending her to her agency for counseling sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, I've had my share of horrible experiences from infant care and I decided to employ a maid due to that reason. Infant care made my baby go to the hospital for an emergency and had to undergo drips. At least the maid has not sent baby to the hospital once. I've had a nightmarish time with the infant care.

All the best for your maid, and hope u get a good one soon.

Mashiiii

Perhaps you can get a relative or someone you know to supervise the maid. In all due honesty, it's better to change to another experienced maid than continue with this. Cannot afford for any accident to happen with our precious little ones.

Pocoyo80

I would change the maid straightaway! I will not bear with such mistakes and from your post, she dont seem to care and understand the consequences. I can't stand such nonchalant behaviour. I have employed maid before after I gave birth to my 2nd child. I gave up on maid and now send both my kids to srudentcare. Is tiring to manage housework and look after the children needs but end of the day, I know they are in safe hands. I dont want to b subjected to the mercy of the maids. I have employed 6 maids, transferred, new, experienced maids. I dont trust what they say and I only believed in what I see and hear.