Domperidone

Stan

My personal take is that any drug you take, even if they are said to be safe for nursing mothers, just dont't take in the long run. If gynae says take for 10-day period, then make sure you dont't go and top-up for more after that. Unless a few months down the road you need again then you can get your own supply again.

For me, Fenugreek pills/extract/tea all dont't increase only maintain. Probably increase 10ml after I take them for a week. The Organic Mother's Milk tea also contains Fenugreek along with other ingredients. Also, there is some controversy regarding the use of Fenugreek to boost lactation.

Other methods you may wish to try is to take oatmeal. Heard from a mummy that she took and can pump 500ml in one session! Also try to eat a lot of fish. During my confinement month I had fish for every meal, and within 3 weeks my milk supply established.
500ml??!! looks like i must quickly buy oatmeal??!!! mai tu liao..
:tlaugh:

Triquetra

Other methods you may wish to try is to take oatmeal. Heard from a mummy that she took and can pump 500ml in one session! Also try to eat a lot of fish. During my confinement month I had fish for every meal, and within 3 weeks my milk supply established.
Do you know what brand is she taking for the oatmeal :eek:

PinkDiamonds

I told her, oatmeal is like so boring to take everyday so what she recommended me is this:

Just go to the supermarket like Giant, Cold Storage, NTUC, etc, and just buy things that have oatmeal. Like oatmeal cereal, energy bars, plain oatmeal, biscuits that contain oatmeal, etc. So you have a variety of "snacks" which contain oatmeal. They also keep you full so you don't feel hungry so easily (good for mums who are conscious about their weights!). Also helps your digestive system.

So far I bought the Quaker oatmeal which I mix in milo, chocolate milk. Also have the Graham honey oats cereal. I like the Graham honey oats cereal cause it's more enjoyable and not so easy to get sian. If you are free can find some recipes online that teach you how to make your own energy bars with honey and oats.

babymummy

I told her, oatmeal is like so boring to take everyday so what she recommended me is this:

Just go to the supermarket like Giant, Cold Storage, NTUC, etc, and just buy things that have oatmeal. Like oatmeal cereal, energy bars, plain oatmeal, biscuits that contain oatmeal, etc. So you have a variety of "snacks" which contain oatmeal. They also keep you full so you dont't feel hungry so easily (good for mums who are conscious about their weights!). Also helps your digestive system.

So far I bought the Quaker oatmeal which I mix in milo, chocolate milk. Also have the Graham honey oats cereal. I like the Graham honey oats cereal cause it's more enjoyable and not so easy to get sian. If you are free can find some recipes online that teach you how to make your own energy bars with honey and oats.

How long have she been breast feeding ?
When baby is 2 weeks old, i manage to pump out 160-180ml of milk..
Now, baby is 3 weeks plus old.. but supply drop to 100-150ml each session..
Does it mean that im going dry soon ?
Do i need to take pills to increase my supply?
My boy been drinking alot, drink until got double chin le. .. afraid that supply is not enough for him..

PinkDiamonds

When she was able to pump 500ml in one session, her baby was about 3 months old.

Are you feeding your son expressed milk or directly latching him on?

Do remember that milk supply can be quite unstable in the first few weeks and will only stabilize around 4-6 weeks. Get lots of rest/sleep, drink plenty of water, eat well and don't be too stressed.

I always tell myself, as long as I have even 1 drop of milk left, I will continue to breastfeed and try to improve supply.

You may want to pump more often to stimulate more milk production to meet your boy's demand.

If you are directly latching on, do latch him on as often as you can as your baby is the best milk pump.

ahpei

I went to buy Domperidone from Guardian yesterday, and was told that Domperidone was meant for indigestion. The side effect of this medicine is that it will cause an increase in milk supply.. and i was advised not to take this too frequently...

i went ahead to buy this, as i am desparate... have not tried yet tho'...

I went to my gynea but he prescribed me STEMETIL instead. Have anyone taken this b4?

I googled stemetil and the effects is different from Domperidone. Mayb someone can share?

PinkDiamonds

I've googled and seems that Stemetil is quite a potent anti-psychotic drugs. Its side effects also seem to be quite bad.

But it is also used in treatment for nausea, like domperidone.

PinkDiamonds

pinkpluspinky: Did you tell your gynae that you are intending to take the drug to boost milk supply? As ahpei has mentioned, it does not seem suitable for breastfeeding. If you can, please stop it asap.

It is an anti-psychotic drug which is quite strong and used to treat psychosis (eg: hallucination, voices in head, etc).

I did check in fact after I check the website I called the clinic to make sure they din give me the wrong medicine but they say nv. I asked them and the nurse told me this is the drug that they prescribe for stimulating breast milk.

My gynea is very pro breast feeding and the medicines he used to give are all baby- safe. Althou I was assured that it is the right medicine I am still abit worried. But after taking 4 times I think my milk did increase. That's why am asking whether anyone took this medicine b4 too.

You all think I should stop taking Stemetil? But domperidone is a Psychotic drug right?

Stan

Domperidone is used for treating nausea, never heard of it being used as a psychotic drug...hmmm...ur doc is the one with the expertise but if u dont feel comfortable using Stemetil, maybe u shld talk to him again.

MommyFafa

Hi, I am currently taking domperidone (doridone, brand from ntuc pharmacy), is there any diffrence with motillium? I heard motillium is the original form of domperidone thus it is more expensive, is it true? And can you actually buy more than 30 tablets at one? Pharmacyst only gave me 30tabs, and I only mention it is for indigestion, then one I finished I went there to get another 30. I am wondering whether they will allow us to buy like 1-2months supply. Now I am taking 3x2tabs per day but going to increase to 3x3, so I will need to buy again very soon. Anyone managed to buy this in bulk? Thanks!