Dose anyone BF while pregnant, need help urgently

chuaeil

Hi,
any mum got pregnant while still breastfeeding? Do you still continue to breastfeed or you stop cause the doctor did ask me to stop, she said might have the risk of miscarriage but is not 100% it will cause miscarriage. I can't stop out of sudden and can't just wean of my dd (9mth) out of sudden, it takes time so i really need advice pls.... Thanks a million

Eileen

Amulet

i didnt have the experience.. but i know tandem nursing is quite common.. in most case, unless ur pregnancy is a high risk one, there is no problem carry on nursing ur baby..

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Hi Eileen,

I breastfed my son during my pregnancy with my daughter. He was 12 months when i became pregnant.

As your daughter is only 9 months and probably still demands a lot of breastfeeding from you (if you are still total breastfeeding that is) you may want to monitor your pregnancy more closely and really take good care of yourself.

You might also like to know that your milk supply will gradually diminish and might even change in the taste. ie : more saltish etc. Some kids will reject the breastfeeding due to the taste while others like many of tandem nursing friends and myself nurse through pregnancy and thereafter.

Also, keen your family's opinion if you think they are supportive and if your doctor is still insistive about weaning, seek a 2nd opinion from a pro-bfing doc so you can better views.

Utimately you are the mummy and need to decide what is best for you and your 2 little ones.

Do take care yah:)

stonston

Eileen, I think it's best to seek 2nd opinion, but also take note it may not be possible for all mummies.

For me I definitely know that it's not possible BF while pregnant due to health conditions even if I wanted.

chuaeil

Hi Eileen,

I breastfed my son during my pregnancy with my daughter. He was 12 months when i became pregnant.

As your daughter is only 9 months and probably still demands a lot of breastfeeding from you (if you are still total breastfeeding that is) you may want to monitor your pregnancy more closely and really take good care of yourself.

You might also like to know that your milk supply will gradually diminish and might even change in the taste. ie : more saltish etc. Some kids will reject the breastfeeding due to the taste while others like many of tandem nursing friends and myself nurse through pregnancy and thereafter.

Also, keen your family's opinion if you think they are supportive and if your doctor is still insistive about weaning, seek a 2nd opinion from a pro-bfing doc so you can better views.

Utimately you are the mummy and need to decide what is best for you and your 2 little ones.

Do take care yah:)
Hi,
thanks for your advice. but i think my milk supply low now and i really dont know what to do. I am hoping to Bf her till my baby is born but due to low supply i am afraid she dont get enough. Do you have this problem?

flyaway

I am also pregnant and my DD is only 7 months old...wish to bf DD as long as supply still continue but seemed that my supply is dropping alot too. Maybe I am not as hardworking as before; pump and latch on.

I am so scared that DD does not drink enough so I am giving her formula most of the time. Only comfort nurse her to sleep...So sad.

Doc said can continue to bf if no spotting. But I am kinda of tired of bf and feel like giving it up esp with the decreasing milk supply.

chuaeil

I am also pregnant and my dear daughter is only 7 months old...wish to bf dear daughter as long as supply still continue but seemed that my supply is dropping alot too. Maybe I am not as hardworking as before; pump and latch on.

I am so scared that dear daughter does not drink enough so I am giving her formula most of the time. Only comfort nurse her to sleep...So sad.

Doc said can continue to bf if no spotting. But I am kinda of tired of bf and feel like giving it up esp with the decreasing milk supply.
Hi flyaway,
thanks for sharing. I am now 9weeks liao. My dd is going to 10 month soon. I also decrease my BF cause milk getting low i feed her with formula which actually i don't really like it but no choice. I only BF her when she needs comfort or she don't have enough then i will BF her. I still try to BF her everyday cause i feel so happy and i dont feel guilty too. :tlaugh:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
Hullo ladies,
I'm another tandem nursing mumy. Nursed through two pregnancies.

If your baby is 9mths old already, then bm should be less and less of the main food source and more of a supplement. I wouldn't necessarily give formula but I would and did up the amount of solids and juice/water given through out the day. Then nursing would play the part of providing comfort and security. Not so much to fill up an empty stomach. Hope you get what I mean.

I was preggy with #3 when my daughter was the same age too (they're 18mths apart) so i am sharing from experience.

Bluechin has given you a great summary of what to expect. I'd advise you to try and get hold of Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hillary Flower (I know its at the BMSG library not too sure if its at NLB). Its got loads of good information and sharing from other moms.

Yell if you need more input. :)